PDA

View Full Version : Double Base Gaskets?

Large
02-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm thinking of running double base gaskets to stop the CR in the 1127 from getting near 13:1

Anyone tried?
Does it work...or am I going straight to leak city?
Should I use some sealant?

chopaweeza
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Personally, I have used compression plates to lower the CR without problem. Using 2 base gaskets works fine on 40 year old bikes but I personally wouldn't with a rocketship motor. Use the base gasket as a template and have a plate laser cut. I had similar problems with a T140 Triumph I used to own and had a 16 gauge plate made up to drop the compression down from 12:1(I could only get Hi Comp pistons at the time)to something my leg could actually kick over. If properly sealed it shouldn't leak and should be a stronger seal than just a gasket. Just my opinion.

chopaweeza
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Personally, I have used compression plates to lower the CR without problem. Using 2 base gaskets works fine on 40 year old bikes but I personally wouldn't with a rocketship motor. Use the base gasket as a template and have a plate laser cut. I had similar problems with a T140 Triumph I used to own and had a 16 gauge plate made up to drop the compression down from 12:1(I could only get Hi Comp pistons at the time)to something my leg could actually kick over. If properly sealed it shouldn't leak and should be a stronger seal than just a gasket. Just my opinion.

fimpBIKES
03-05-2006, 06:39 PM
it you get a drawing to me large i could get ya one watercut

fimpBIKES
03-05-2006, 06:39 PM
it you get a drawing to me large i could get ya one watercut

Large
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. I saw thicker base gaskets on the APE site. so I went back to Serco and ordered a 20 though copper gasket.

Just hoping it's here by friday.

Large
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. I saw thicker base gaskets on the APE site. so I went back to Serco and ordered a 20 though copper gasket.

Just hoping it's here by friday.