PDA

View Full Version : been spending money again :D (mofo's Turbo)

crazymofo
08-04-2006, 06:23 PM
gday all.

while the bikes away at the engineers getting complied, ive been bored, so ive been doing some shopping, and also, ive just finished off the exhaust manifold.

i bought the turbo previously, but today i picked up a 300hp fuel pump, a 140psi rising rate fuel regulator, new billet fuel filter, a GO FAST BITS single stage boost controller, and a 180sx intercooler core, which i intend on making new end tanks for.

tomorrow, if i dont do anything, i might just start my paint preparation.

cheers.joe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/I3010197.jpg

Large
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Don't forget you're back in the big house on monday [:p]

j/k:D

Large
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Don't forget you're back in the big house on monday [:p]

j/k:D

damo1
10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
do you ever get sick of it mofo you never stop mate?

damo1
10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
do you ever get sick of it mofo you never stop mate?

crazymofo
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
lmao

nah im not sick of it, mainly cos i dont let it govern my life, it really takes a back seat to everything else, granted if i just focused on the bike, it would have been done months ago, but i rather do it right,1st time and still enjoy doing stuff.

the above bits are all i needed to buy, in order to fit the turbo up, but i still havent finished the intake manifold. with the upcomming long weekends, i might actually get some shit done!!

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
lmao

nah im not sick of it, mainly cos i dont let it govern my life, it really takes a back seat to everything else, granted if i just focused on the bike, it would have been done months ago, but i rather do it right,1st time and still enjoy doing stuff.

the above bits are all i needed to buy, in order to fit the turbo up, but i still havent finished the intake manifold. with the upcomming long weekends, i might actually get some shit done!!

cheers.joe.

ozkat
11-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey Joe, Any chance of making up a 2nd set of headers?

ozkat
11-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey Joe, Any chance of making up a 2nd set of headers?

crazymofo
11-04-2006, 09:46 PM
yeah sure thing oz. only to happy to help.

think i spent around 80 bucks or so for this header lol. throw in some bourbon and we have a deal lmao

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
11-04-2006, 09:46 PM
yeah sure thing oz. only to happy to help.

think i spent around 80 bucks or so for this header lol. throw in some bourbon and we have a deal lmao

cheers.joe.

NakedTurboBusa
12-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Joe, all looks sweet

What computer are you using.. or are you going to remap..etc

NakedTurboBusa
12-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Joe, all looks sweet

What computer are you using.. or are you going to remap..etc

ozkat
12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Mofo you have a deal mate.

ozkat
12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Mofo you have a deal mate.

crazymofo
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
NTB- no ECU here mate

all blow thru carbies for me. i did play with a cheap dodgy efi system at 1st.. it wasnt good enough, and i just done have the cashflow to go full on EFI decently, so far this bike has only costed me a couple of grand to build (not including buying the bike)

once i get the bike back on the road, i'll be looking to make my own ECU and efi loom from bits and peices of cars (i'll be making a ecu from scratch tho) then looking to convert the bike to run full efi.

cheers.joe.

PS. Shane, i will need to have the bike for a weekend (dont worry you'll still be able to ride it afterwards :P) and $80 upfront to buy materials to make it. im going on holidays for easter and wont be back till the 19th so the following weekend is the earliest i can do anything for you.

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
NTB- no ECU here mate

all blow thru carbies for me. i did play with a cheap dodgy efi system at 1st.. it wasnt good enough, and i just done have the cashflow to go full on EFI decently, so far this bike has only costed me a couple of grand to build (not including buying the bike)

once i get the bike back on the road, i'll be looking to make my own ECU and efi loom from bits and peices of cars (i'll be making a ecu from scratch tho) then looking to convert the bike to run full efi.

cheers.joe.

PS. Shane, i will need to have the bike for a weekend (dont worry you'll still be able to ride it afterwards :P) and $80 upfront to buy materials to make it. im going on holidays for easter and wont be back till the 19th so the following weekend is the earliest i can do anything for you.

cheers.joe.

ozkat
12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Thats ok mate i wont need anything done in a hurry

ozkat
12-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Thats ok mate i wont need anything done in a hurry

nos_james
12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
have you looked at megger squirt its a do it urself ecu for cars but could be modifyed for a bike it is what i will be using on my turbo eb when i get round to building the motor

nos_james
12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
have you looked at megger squirt its a do it urself ecu for cars but could be modifyed for a bike it is what i will be using on my turbo eb when i get round to building the motor

crazymofo
12-04-2006, 09:27 PM
yes i have looked at them, but they just dont have enough grunt to run a bike... 14k rpm and a CDI ignition system.

they are a brilliant thing tho, and i have one on order for my valiant v8.

the ecu im looking to build will be based on the megga squirt ecu, just beefed up in order to be capable of running a bike smoothly, if im going to go the trouble of efi, its gotta be right.

cheers.joe.

PS. james shoot me an email with your plans of the turbo eb, ive built a few ford i6 turbos in my time ;)

crazymofo
12-04-2006, 09:27 PM
yes i have looked at them, but they just dont have enough grunt to run a bike... 14k rpm and a CDI ignition system.

they are a brilliant thing tho, and i have one on order for my valiant v8.

the ecu im looking to build will be based on the megga squirt ecu, just beefed up in order to be capable of running a bike smoothly, if im going to go the trouble of efi, its gotta be right.

cheers.joe.

PS. james shoot me an email with your plans of the turbo eb, ive built a few ford i6 turbos in my time ;)

damo1
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
ah mofo have you looked at buying a efi unit off a
four cyl car like a pulsar or similar to adapt for your
bike? it would be a good start to the manifold and a man of your
ability could make it work im sure.

damo1
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
ah mofo have you looked at buying a efi unit off a
four cyl car like a pulsar or similar to adapt for your
bike? it would be a good start to the manifold and a man of your
ability could make it work im sure.

03gixxerpilot
13-04-2006, 11:22 AM
nice work so far i like the look of the headers, keep us posted on the progress of the ecu you are buiolding, intrested in how you go with it, what features are you going to incorprate into it ( things like boost controle etc ) and how fancy a ecu can you build and how many dollars would be involved.

03gixxerpilot
13-04-2006, 11:22 AM
nice work so far i like the look of the headers, keep us posted on the progress of the ecu you are buiolding, intrested in how you go with it, what features are you going to incorprate into it ( things like boost controle etc ) and how fancy a ecu can you build and how many dollars would be involved.

boogieman76
13-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Crazymofo,
I've always wanted to turbo something, bike shops and tuners talked me out of doing it to my TL1000 but I would love to do it to my B12, how much ( if possible ) would it cost to mod the stock carbs for a blow thru setup? I've seen alot of draw through setups with the turbo mounted where the carbs usually are. Which would you recommend and what sort of horsepower would you expect.

boogieman76
13-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Crazymofo,
I've always wanted to turbo something, bike shops and tuners talked me out of doing it to my TL1000 but I would love to do it to my B12, how much ( if possible ) would it cost to mod the stock carbs for a blow thru setup? I've seen alot of draw through setups with the turbo mounted where the carbs usually are. Which would you recommend and what sort of horsepower would you expect.

boogieman76
13-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh just one more thing, when do I get promoted, pizza delivery boy is quite a gay rating ( not that there's anything wrong with that )

boogieman76
13-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh just one more thing, when do I get promoted, pizza delivery boy is quite a gay rating ( not that there's anything wrong with that )

Gix11
13-04-2006, 10:59 PM
You've got 77 more posts to make before you become a weekend warrior mate........

Gix11
13-04-2006, 10:59 PM
You've got 77 more posts to make before you become a weekend warrior mate........

crazymofo
17-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Damo:

looked at a b16 turbo mazda ecu, prolly one of the easiest ecu's to fool and retune, the biggest problem with car ecu's is they dont have the nescessary mapping in them to handle the RPM bike engines do, most car ecu's run fine till 6 or 8k rpm, but after that you are tuning blind! and it then becomes a very poor method of delivering fuel, you may as well run with blow thru carbs!

03Gixxer: the ecu will be a fairly basic one, i plan on selling a few of these once i get the bugs ironed out, but i plan on keeping it "simple, stupid"

runs the efi (sequential fuel and ignition), cold start, thats pretty much it. i dont want to add to many wizzbangs otherwise it becomes to costly to sell and harder for people to accept and buy them. i MAY look at running 2 extra output channels tho. basicly i'll aim it at those with carbed bikes/cars looking to convert to efi reliably and cheaply. as for dollars, im looking to sell these units for no more then 700bux. theres just no point trying to make a mega efi system and try and compete with the likes of autronic,motec, perfect power etc.... they have it down to a fine art and have a massive rep.

boogie:

carbs are fairly easy to modify for boost, and cost pretty mich bugger all (the bigger cost is in the dyno tuning). i wouldnt bother with running draw through, its crap and hopeless basicly, and belongs on harleys :P.

as for horse power.. what boost? what turbo? what else has been done to the engine? what fuel? its anyones guess as to what hp it'll make. general rule of thumb is at 8psi its an extra 50%hp, so if a bike makes 100hp N/A well it should make roughly 150hp on 8 psi.

as for modifying the carbs to run boost, i really done have much more i can add to what OZKAT has posted up. go to the main page and check the tech links theres a article he has writen up for it.

costings.. REALLY DEPENDS on how much you do yourself! sorry if i sound vauge, but really, you have to do some ground work and be prepared to do some serious work yourself cos not many people will want to help out.. unless you wave baulk bikkies in their face.

if you want to know anymore, send me an email. im happy to try and go into specifics for you.

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
17-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Damo:

looked at a b16 turbo mazda ecu, prolly one of the easiest ecu's to fool and retune, the biggest problem with car ecu's is they dont have the nescessary mapping in them to handle the RPM bike engines do, most car ecu's run fine till 6 or 8k rpm, but after that you are tuning blind! and it then becomes a very poor method of delivering fuel, you may as well run with blow thru carbs!

03Gixxer: the ecu will be a fairly basic one, i plan on selling a few of these once i get the bugs ironed out, but i plan on keeping it "simple, stupid"

runs the efi (sequential fuel and ignition), cold start, thats pretty much it. i dont want to add to many wizzbangs otherwise it becomes to costly to sell and harder for people to accept and buy them. i MAY look at running 2 extra output channels tho. basicly i'll aim it at those with carbed bikes/cars looking to convert to efi reliably and cheaply. as for dollars, im looking to sell these units for no more then 700bux. theres just no point trying to make a mega efi system and try and compete with the likes of autronic,motec, perfect power etc.... they have it down to a fine art and have a massive rep.

boogie:

carbs are fairly easy to modify for boost, and cost pretty mich bugger all (the bigger cost is in the dyno tuning). i wouldnt bother with running draw through, its crap and hopeless basicly, and belongs on harleys :P.

as for horse power.. what boost? what turbo? what else has been done to the engine? what fuel? its anyones guess as to what hp it'll make. general rule of thumb is at 8psi its an extra 50%hp, so if a bike makes 100hp N/A well it should make roughly 150hp on 8 psi.

as for modifying the carbs to run boost, i really done have much more i can add to what OZKAT has posted up. go to the main page and check the tech links theres a article he has writen up for it.

costings.. REALLY DEPENDS on how much you do yourself! sorry if i sound vauge, but really, you have to do some ground work and be prepared to do some serious work yourself cos not many people will want to help out.. unless you wave baulk bikkies in their face.

if you want to know anymore, send me an email. im happy to try and go into specifics for you.

cheers.joe.

boogieman76
17-04-2006, 04:48 PM
nice, I will send you an email
Cheers

boogieman76
17-04-2006, 04:48 PM
nice, I will send you an email
Cheers

03gixxerpilot
17-04-2006, 05:19 PM
thanks for the info joe.

03gixxerpilot
17-04-2006, 05:19 PM
thanks for the info joe.

TurboKat
17-04-2006, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

i wouldnt bother with running draw through, its crap and hopeless basicly, and belongs on harleys :P.

Wash your filthy mouth out with soap MoFo :(
Draw thru is the way of the <s>past</s> future, you non believer [}:)]
Electronics are for ....... well .... electronics nerds. [V]

A famous quote from a non EFI activist;

"I have a dream, a dream where all turbos are created drawthru"
- Martin Booster King. :D

TurboKat
17-04-2006, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

i wouldnt bother with running draw through, its crap and hopeless basicly, and belongs on harleys :P.

Wash your filthy mouth out with soap MoFo :(
Draw thru is the way of the <s>past</s> future, you non believer [}:)]
Electronics are for ....... well .... electronics nerds. [V]

A famous quote from a non EFI activist;

"I have a dream, a dream where all turbos are created drawthru"
- Martin Booster King. :D

crazymofo
17-04-2006, 07:47 PM
pfft lmao!

i take it your joking right? :P

fuel pooling in plumbing...pressure variances.... difficulty in tuning....excess fuel requirement.

the only bennifits of draw thru is the fuel acts as a dodgy intercooler and its easier to initally set up.

gimme a blow through set up anyday

theres nothing overly wrong with carbs, efi is just easier to retune and keep in tune.. also cheaper once you know how to twiddle with keyboard keys.

cheers.joe.

crazymofo
17-04-2006, 07:47 PM
pfft lmao!

i take it your joking right? :P

fuel pooling in plumbing...pressure variances.... difficulty in tuning....excess fuel requirement.

the only bennifits of draw thru is the fuel acts as a dodgy intercooler and its easier to initally set up.

gimme a blow through set up anyday

theres nothing overly wrong with carbs, efi is just easier to retune and keep in tune.. also cheaper once you know how to twiddle with keyboard keys.

cheers.joe.

ozkat
17-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Booggie, a few of the main problems people have with homebuilt turbo systems are getting your carbs to work under pressure, i think you will find the answer to that in the "How to" section. Another problem is choosing the correct turbo, although there is plenty of info around now to help you. Also getting your turbo high enough above the oil level in the sump so that oil self drains from the turbo. Oilcooled suzuki motors a possibly the best choice to turbo, they are strong and more of them have homebuilt turbo systems on them than any other bike engine. Personaly i would stick with carbs because its much simpler. I suppose it comes down to how handy are you with tools really.

ozkat
17-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Booggie, a few of the main problems people have with homebuilt turbo systems are getting your carbs to work under pressure, i think you will find the answer to that in the "How to" section. Another problem is choosing the correct turbo, although there is plenty of info around now to help you. Also getting your turbo high enough above the oil level in the sump so that oil self drains from the turbo. Oilcooled suzuki motors a possibly the best choice to turbo, they are strong and more of them have homebuilt turbo systems on them than any other bike engine. Personaly i would stick with carbs because its much simpler. I suppose it comes down to how handy are you with tools really.