PDA

View Full Version : In the dark

Bejcar
08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hello to all those down under,

I'm writing this from Canada and wondering if anyone out there can help me out.

I'm attempting to build a streetfighter out of a 1989 CBR600F, and well in Canada everyone more or less scratches their heads when it comes to this.

Currently the bike has been sitting in pieces in the garage, but I am looking to swap out the rotors (the desperately need to be changed) Tweak the subframe, fit an 03-06 CBR 600RR tail to it (I've got the plastic, but do I need the RR subframe?) and of course throw on a different head light and the Motocross bars.

Any help with a how to on ANYTHING would be invaluable... no one up here really understands what I'm attempting to do, and no one really seems to even wrap their heads around it either.

Has anyone tried this stuff before? Am I in virgin territory? Any help with the technical aspect or what people have done in the past would be greatly appreciated... I'm pretty in the dark with all of this.

Thanks!

Zed14
08-04-2006, 01:05 PM
should be able to make up your own subframe and use rosejoints to mount it to the bike frame then you can adjust the angle of the tail to suit the look your after. find anotherm set of rotors the same size and offset and then drill mounting holes between existing holes if they dont line up.

Zed14
08-04-2006, 01:05 PM
should be able to make up your own subframe and use rosejoints to mount it to the bike frame then you can adjust the angle of the tail to suit the look your after. find anotherm set of rotors the same size and offset and then drill mounting holes between existing holes if they dont line up.

Gix11
08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
joe.d is a member from Canada as well. Don't know where he is up there though. CBR 600's are a hard one to get looking good. After a search all I could find was this one: http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9656/cbrfighter22xg.jpg which I think you will agree is a touch ratty....... As Rexie said, if you have the plastics for a new tail end try and source the subframe as well (is it a bolt on job on those?) as creating one from scratch is a long and tedious process, plus if you stack it you have to start from scratch again. I'd be finding an '03 CBR and seeing how much different the subframe is to your and what will need doing to match it up to your frame.

Gix11
08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
joe.d is a member from Canada as well. Don't know where he is up there though. CBR 600's are a hard one to get looking good. After a search all I could find was this one: http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9656/cbrfighter22xg.jpg which I think you will agree is a touch ratty....... As Rexie said, if you have the plastics for a new tail end try and source the subframe as well (is it a bolt on job on those?) as creating one from scratch is a long and tedious process, plus if you stack it you have to start from scratch again. I'd be finding an '03 CBR and seeing how much different the subframe is to your and what will need doing to match it up to your frame.

fimpBIKES
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
i saw that bike in SF with the rod-ends rexie
fuggin great idea!!

do we have a "how-to" for a new subframe yet?
im happy to write one up when i pull my finger out :D

fimpBIKES
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
i saw that bike in SF with the rod-ends rexie
fuggin great idea!!

do we have a "how-to" for a new subframe yet?
im happy to write one up when i pull my finger out :D

BOHEMION
08-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Bejcar welcome aboard. Mate make sure you post up some progress pictures man, let us know what ya up to!

Hey man what ya fav hockey team ?

GO MIGHTY NJ! UP THE DEVILS!

HAHA

BOHEMION
08-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Bejcar welcome aboard. Mate make sure you post up some progress pictures man, let us know what ya up to!

Hey man what ya fav hockey team ?

GO MIGHTY NJ! UP THE DEVILS!

HAHA

Bejcar
09-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys!

Forgive my newbie ignorance but whats a Rose joint? Unfortunately the subframe is part of the frame on the bike, but it is steel, so I can weld/cut whatever I want from it, I was thinking of runing some bracing across (to form small triangles) in an attempt to strengthen it if I have to cut it down to fit the RR tail... suggestions?

and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Bejcar
09-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys!

Forgive my newbie ignorance but whats a Rose joint? Unfortunately the subframe is part of the frame on the bike, but it is steel, so I can weld/cut whatever I want from it, I was thinking of runing some bracing across (to form small triangles) in an attempt to strengthen it if I have to cut it down to fit the RR tail... suggestions?

and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Gix11
09-04-2006, 11:59 AM
One rose joint mate:

http://wotid.com/pictures/albums/userpics/10001/normal_RHA_rose_cut_02_800.jpg

Weld some lugs onto your existing frame, take your new bolt on model subframe:

http://partsrr.eaph.com/share/victorscars2672694549/trypics/P1010117.JPG

and join them with the adjustable rose joints at the lower mounts so the top pivots to give the desired angle.

Gix11
09-04-2006, 11:59 AM
One rose joint mate:

http://wotid.com/pictures/albums/userpics/10001/normal_RHA_rose_cut_02_800.jpg

Weld some lugs onto your existing frame, take your new bolt on model subframe:

http://partsrr.eaph.com/share/victorscars2672694549/trypics/P1010117.JPG

and join them with the adjustable rose joints at the lower mounts so the top pivots to give the desired angle.

Bejcar
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
You have to swap out the sub frame?

My subframe is steel, and part of the frame, could I not take that, cut it off the bike, weld said Rose joints onto it, then just add a bolt on mount to pivot it like you said?

Or is it a necessity to swap the subframes out?

Bejcar
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
You have to swap out the sub frame?

My subframe is steel, and part of the frame, could I not take that, cut it off the bike, weld said Rose joints onto it, then just add a bolt on mount to pivot it like you said?

Or is it a necessity to swap the subframes out?

Gix11
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
All depends on the plastics you're going to fit mate. If they fit your existing subframe with little or no mods then use that (cut it off close to the frame and add lugs to accept the new bolt on method - although if this is the case why are you bothering taking it off at all? - just to get the new angle?), but if they are nothing alike you'll have to get the subframe from the '03 model or fabricate your own. Once you start fabricating your own, you'll soon wish you had sourced one for the plastics, it's a monster job, but not impossible.

Gix11
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
All depends on the plastics you're going to fit mate. If they fit your existing subframe with little or no mods then use that (cut it off close to the frame and add lugs to accept the new bolt on method - although if this is the case why are you bothering taking it off at all? - just to get the new angle?), but if they are nothing alike you'll have to get the subframe from the '03 model or fabricate your own. Once you start fabricating your own, you'll soon wish you had sourced one for the plastics, it's a monster job, but not impossible.

Bejcar
11-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Awesome! I want to just tweak the subframe up some, to give it that 'ass up' look.

As far as the headlights go, with the Streetfighter headlight assemblies, where does everyone hide all that wiring that gets tucked in behind the fairings? Can you get rid of some of it? Or do you just zip tie it into the frame?

Bejcar
11-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Awesome! I want to just tweak the subframe up some, to give it that 'ass up' look.

As far as the headlights go, with the Streetfighter headlight assemblies, where does everyone hide all that wiring that gets tucked in behind the fairings? Can you get rid of some of it? Or do you just zip tie it into the frame?

Gix11
11-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Get rid of any you don't need and then shorten everything left and put it under the tank. You'll end up with one tidy loom that goes to your instruments.

Gix11
11-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Get rid of any you don't need and then shorten everything left and put it under the tank. You'll end up with one tidy loom that goes to your instruments.

BOHEMION
11-04-2006, 04:03 PM
quote:and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Oilers! Old Skool Team

BOHEMION
11-04-2006, 04:03 PM
quote:and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Oilers! Old Skool Team

BOHEMION
11-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Bejcar.....Totally off subject sorry...

Hey man perhaps you can clear somthing up for me. I used to play goalie so it really sent shivers down my spine. BUT i was watching a clip where this goalies throat was slit right open! did you see that and WTF! HAPPENED! he was still on his feet when it happened!!! Was is a college or A grade match??? The commentator sounded like Don Cherry ( Dont they all!.. Ah Rockem Sockems)

BOHEMION
11-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Bejcar.....Totally off subject sorry...

Hey man perhaps you can clear somthing up for me. I used to play goalie so it really sent shivers down my spine. BUT i was watching a clip where this goalies throat was slit right open! did you see that and WTF! HAPPENED! he was still on his feet when it happened!!! Was is a college or A grade match??? The commentator sounded like Don Cherry ( Dont they all!.. Ah Rockem Sockems)

Bejcar
12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Gix11....

My tank sits directly on top of the engine and there's a shit load of fuses and crap over the 'ram air' intakes on the sides, any suggestions on how to work around those? Also, what kind of wires can I get rid of? Most the wiring is that super thick garbage that follows back to the wire harness, and it's about a cm to two thick, all taped together.

Bohemion...
I think I recal vaguely that happening, I've seen it a couple different times, but one was from a guy getting tripped up, the goalie was on his knees in the 'butterfly posistion' and caught the blade of the skate.

I've seen another where it was a puck, but I'm pretty sure that was a player going to block a shot.

Since those have happened I'm pretty sure a majority of the Goalies rock the neck gaurds, either the ones that go under their jersey, or the ones that hang from their helmets.

Bejcar
12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Gix11....

My tank sits directly on top of the engine and there's a shit load of fuses and crap over the 'ram air' intakes on the sides, any suggestions on how to work around those? Also, what kind of wires can I get rid of? Most the wiring is that super thick garbage that follows back to the wire harness, and it's about a cm to two thick, all taped together.

Bohemion...
I think I recal vaguely that happening, I've seen it a couple different times, but one was from a guy getting tripped up, the goalie was on his knees in the 'butterfly posistion' and caught the blade of the skate.

I've seen another where it was a puck, but I'm pretty sure that was a player going to block a shot.

Since those have happened I'm pretty sure a majority of the Goalies rock the neck gaurds, either the ones that go under their jersey, or the ones that hang from their helmets.

BOHEMION
12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah i just use the Itech throat protectors. Was scarey as!

BOHEMION
12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah i just use the Itech throat protectors. Was scarey as!

Gix11
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
That all depends on what instruments you're going to use or loose. If you're keeping all of them then just unwind that loom you mentioned and shorten each of the cables in that loom to get rid of the extra length, then rewrap it in black electrical tape or something tidier. Take your tank off to see where the wires go currently.

Gix11
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
That all depends on what instruments you're going to use or loose. If you're keeping all of them then just unwind that loom you mentioned and shorten each of the cables in that loom to get rid of the extra length, then rewrap it in black electrical tape or something tidier. Take your tank off to see where the wires go currently.

Bejcar
14-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Haha, oh, the tank is off... along with a lot of other stuff...

I'll have to take some pic's tonight after work to show you what I'm talking about, but I think I get what you're saying.

Bejcar
14-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Haha, oh, the tank is off... along with a lot of other stuff...

I'll have to take some pic's tonight after work to show you what I'm talking about, but I think I get what you're saying.

Bejcar
16-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Okay, so I've been busy.... works been a GONG show since spring finally decided to show up, and everyone is trying to get their bikes and ATV's running again... I still haven't had a chance to get any pictures taken, hopefully I can do that on Sunday...

I've mocked up the bars and noticed that they're going to step the grips out and up a bunch, any take on a way to re-route my cables so they fit, or should I just get some longer ones?

None of the wires go under the tank, they are all routed along the frame towards the battery, mostly on the sides, but nothing under the seat or anything. What do you do with the wires once they're put under the tank? Do they need to have any kind of heat treating on them? What should I do with the 'fuse box' on the left side of the bike?

I've also noticed an oil cooler mounted to the upper cowl subframe... Where should that get moved to?

Bejcar
16-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Okay, so I've been busy.... works been a GONG show since spring finally decided to show up, and everyone is trying to get their bikes and ATV's running again... I still haven't had a chance to get any pictures taken, hopefully I can do that on Sunday...

I've mocked up the bars and noticed that they're going to step the grips out and up a bunch, any take on a way to re-route my cables so they fit, or should I just get some longer ones?

None of the wires go under the tank, they are all routed along the frame towards the battery, mostly on the sides, but nothing under the seat or anything. What do you do with the wires once they're put under the tank? Do they need to have any kind of heat treating on them? What should I do with the 'fuse box' on the left side of the bike?

I've also noticed an oil cooler mounted to the upper cowl subframe... Where should that get moved to?

Bejcar
18-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Okay finally got a second to get some pictures taken...

These would be the fuses on the one side that I was talking about
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1216/fusesright5ha.jpg

I have no idea how to re-route these, are they going to have to sort of stick around or do I have any options?

On the left hand side, there is considerably less wiring
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5025/wiringleft4wx.jpg

However the space under the tank doesn't look like there will be much room for anything
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2627/intake1nl.jpg

Annnd heres what she looks like so far.. waiting for fork seals then she should be mostly road worthy.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/158/forkless8sr.jpg

Since neither my mechanic (my dad) or I, have any clue how to go about the streetfightering and don't really have a clear goal in mind we're going to wait out the riding season and leave the bike in 'stock' trim for now and then start hacking it up once the snow flys again. In the mean time I'm going to try to amass as much how-to ideas and get the parts in order so it can kind of all be done in one shot.

Bejcar
18-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Okay finally got a second to get some pictures taken...

These would be the fuses on the one side that I was talking about
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1216/fusesright5ha.jpg

I have no idea how to re-route these, are they going to have to sort of stick around or do I have any options?

On the left hand side, there is considerably less wiring
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5025/wiringleft4wx.jpg

However the space under the tank doesn't look like there will be much room for anything
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2627/intake1nl.jpg

Annnd heres what she looks like so far.. waiting for fork seals then she should be mostly road worthy.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/158/forkless8sr.jpg

Since neither my mechanic (my dad) or I, have any clue how to go about the streetfightering and don't really have a clear goal in mind we're going to wait out the riding season and leave the bike in 'stock' trim for now and then start hacking it up once the snow flys again. In the mean time I'm going to try to amass as much how-to ideas and get the parts in order so it can kind of all be done in one shot.

crazymofo
18-04-2006, 05:30 PM
as they say a picture is a thousand words... so ive added a few.

the best bet is to gather all the bits you want to added/transform on the bike and then just make it fit as you go.. works for me. you have an advantage in that the frame is steel. it makes it easier to chop and weld at home.. and remember this mantra... measure twice cut once.

oh and i find a carton of piss usually helps the process ;)

cheers.joe.

the original..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/I3010005.jpg

close up of welding etc..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/welded.jpg

and one of the bike with the new subframe.. busa item.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/sideonframe.jpg

crazymofo
18-04-2006, 05:30 PM
as they say a picture is a thousand words... so ive added a few.

the best bet is to gather all the bits you want to added/transform on the bike and then just make it fit as you go.. works for me. you have an advantage in that the frame is steel. it makes it easier to chop and weld at home.. and remember this mantra... measure twice cut once.

oh and i find a carton of piss usually helps the process ;)

cheers.joe.

the original..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/I3010005.jpg

close up of welding etc..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/welded.jpg

and one of the bike with the new subframe.. busa item.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/sideonframe.jpg

18-04-2006, 08:55 PM
RE-SIZE[?]

18-04-2006, 08:55 PM
RE-SIZE[?]

Bejcar
19-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Rockin', sounds like a good idea there Crazy!

Sorry I have no idea how to edit my posts... otherwise I would resize the pic's

Bejcar
19-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Rockin', sounds like a good idea there Crazy!

Sorry I have no idea how to edit my posts... otherwise I would resize the pic's

Gix11
19-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Bej - as for resizing and editing just adjust your photos at imageshack and save them with the same name as these ones are linked to there. If you need to edit your post in any way just click the pencil and paper icon above the post you want to change.

Gix11
19-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Bej - as for resizing and editing just adjust your photos at imageshack and save them with the same name as these ones are linked to there. If you need to edit your post in any way just click the pencil and paper icon above the post you want to change.

Bejcar
20-04-2006, 01:33 PM
There re-sized, is that better?

Bejcar
20-04-2006, 01:33 PM
There re-sized, is that better?

Gix11
20-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Cheers mate.
With the fuse box (get an auto electrician if your not up to it), unwind all the cabling so you see each individual wire, cut the wires going into the fuse box (taking digital camera shots, writing notes and marking each cable so you don't forget what goes where), trace the cables back along the bike and reroute them on the inside of the frame. Then create a mounting bracket on the inside of the frame and a rubber mount for it and position the fuse box, now cut the cables to size and reconnect, and the other way, get some new cables and connect to the proper places by feeding them back out the front of the frame at some point (maybe the ram air holes). At this point find what instruments you intend to use in the future and connect them up instead when the time comes.
By the way, the space under your tank is heaps bigger than mine and I have everything shoved under there or under the seat unit!

Gix11
20-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Cheers mate.
With the fuse box (get an auto electrician if your not up to it), unwind all the cabling so you see each individual wire, cut the wires going into the fuse box (taking digital camera shots, writing notes and marking each cable so you don't forget what goes where), trace the cables back along the bike and reroute them on the inside of the frame. Then create a mounting bracket on the inside of the frame and a rubber mount for it and position the fuse box, now cut the cables to size and reconnect, and the other way, get some new cables and connect to the proper places by feeding them back out the front of the frame at some point (maybe the ram air holes). At this point find what instruments you intend to use in the future and connect them up instead when the time comes.
By the way, the space under your tank is heaps bigger than mine and I have everything shoved under there or under the seat unit!

cammy9r
20-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello, don't be frightened by the wiring all you do is cut 1 or 2 at a time if unsure. Cut to length and join (best to solder the joints then insulate). All the fuses and relays can be moved to where you want them by either cutting or extending.
See if you can find a jap car in a breakers yard and hack out a couple of engine looms or the loom running down the inner sills. This should give you lots of similar coloured/tracer cables to modify your own loom.
Took me about 10 hours to do my loom but spread over a few days as there was no rush. I then covered the loom with split convolute tube for fire protection and of course neatness.
Have a look at my link below for pics of my loom as it was getting done.
Have fun with your build and post pics of your progress.

cammy9r
20-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello, don't be frightened by the wiring all you do is cut 1 or 2 at a time if unsure. Cut to length and join (best to solder the joints then insulate). All the fuses and relays can be moved to where you want them by either cutting or extending.
See if you can find a jap car in a breakers yard and hack out a couple of engine looms or the loom running down the inner sills. This should give you lots of similar coloured/tracer cables to modify your own loom.
Took me about 10 hours to do my loom but spread over a few days as there was no rush. I then covered the loom with split convolute tube for fire protection and of course neatness.
Have a look at my link below for pics of my loom as it was getting done.
Have fun with your build and post pics of your progress.

Bejcar
21-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, whats a loom?

I'm assuming a chunk of the wiring harness?

Bejcar
21-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, whats a loom?

I'm assuming a chunk of the wiring harness?

21-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Noooo, it IS the wiring harness.

If you look in some of the Haines manuals they have a page of translations between Pommie (an Englishman) and Seppo (an American) terms. They don't do Aussie or Canadian terms though.

21-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Noooo, it IS the wiring harness.

If you look in some of the Haines manuals they have a page of translations between Pommie (an Englishman) and Seppo (an American) terms. They don't do Aussie or Canadian terms though.

Bejcar
21-04-2006, 02:12 PM
ahhhh, so you would splice a bit of the car wiring harness into the bikes?

Bejcar
21-04-2006, 02:12 PM
ahhhh, so you would splice a bit of the car wiring harness into the bikes?

21-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Basically, that's the idea.

Getting hold of the same color coded wires is difficult and expensive, unless you follow Cammy's advice.

21-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Basically, that's the idea.

Getting hold of the same color coded wires is difficult and expensive, unless you follow Cammy's advice.

Bejcar
24-04-2006, 01:41 PM
So, in an effort to get at least SOME customizing done before the bike hits the road I cut up the front fender today...

Here's what it started as... Mind you it was painted and what not
http://www.motorcyclebodywork.com/images/cbr66%7E2.jpg

After a couple hours of work...
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/5081/fenderside1dw.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2749/fenderfront8ar.jpg

Thats so much better, no?

Oh, and Canadian is more or less the same as them Yanks...

Bejcar
24-04-2006, 01:41 PM
So, in an effort to get at least SOME customizing done before the bike hits the road I cut up the front fender today...

Here's what it started as... Mind you it was painted and what not
http://www.motorcyclebodywork.com/images/cbr66%7E2.jpg

After a couple hours of work...
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/5081/fenderside1dw.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2749/fenderfront8ar.jpg

Thats so much better, no?

Oh, and Canadian is more or less the same as them Yanks...