PDA

View Full Version : Chop flips and goes Kwackers

chopaweeza
31-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Just to show you can get good bargains if you look. A GPZ1100 with minor damage and needing a valve job. Just needs some of the rubber bits around the injectors & airbox , rear tyre , ducktail, seat recovered and new valves on 1 cylinder. I'll get stuck into it over Winter after I sort the GPZ750 Unitrak on the bench out. Most of the parts on it are in excellent condition. Cost me $250.
http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/GPZ003.jpg

Gix11
31-03-2006, 03:31 PM
$250! Were you wearing a stocking over your head and holding a gun at the time?

Gix11
31-03-2006, 03:31 PM
$250! Were you wearing a stocking over your head and holding a gun at the time?

chopaweeza
31-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Nope. I agreed to take away 2 working Air Conditioners for him so he dropped the price from $600. No Bull.

chopaweeza
31-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Nope. I agreed to take away 2 working Air Conditioners for him so he dropped the price from $600. No Bull.

Gix11
31-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Ha. Now that's a bloody deal!

Gix11
31-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Ha. Now that's a bloody deal!

dinorider
31-03-2006, 07:30 PM
good to see someone else with taste in old metal.read latest Guido column in motorcycle trader,what is this guy on?says that it will get harder and harder to find someone to service and repair old bikes.I thought new bikes had the same basic workings of the oldies but with more advanced shit,not the other way round.However every time I have taken my machine to a so called expert I end up fixing their fuckups.do it all myself nowadays.had my bike at Paul Scrivener`s workshop here in the highlands and it sat there for 3 weeks till I took it home and fixed it in 15 minutes flat.couple a months later had a bad miss and took it to a different bloke in Campbelltown who couldn`t diagnose the prob.I thought the coils were suss and had this same bloke check them on his u beut suzuki coil tester and it said they were fine.replaced them anyway with 2 off a gsx11 and been riding great for 4 months now.

dinorider
31-03-2006, 07:30 PM
good to see someone else with taste in old metal.read latest Guido column in motorcycle trader,what is this guy on?says that it will get harder and harder to find someone to service and repair old bikes.I thought new bikes had the same basic workings of the oldies but with more advanced shit,not the other way round.However every time I have taken my machine to a so called expert I end up fixing their fuckups.do it all myself nowadays.had my bike at Paul Scrivener`s workshop here in the highlands and it sat there for 3 weeks till I took it home and fixed it in 15 minutes flat.couple a months later had a bad miss and took it to a different bloke in Campbelltown who couldn`t diagnose the prob.I thought the coils were suss and had this same bloke check them on his u beut suzuki coil tester and it said they were fine.replaced them anyway with 2 off a gsx11 and been riding great for 4 months now.

chopaweeza
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
An all too familiar problem. I'm glad in a way because it keeps me in beer money working on pre-1990 models the dealers can't figure out. The main reason most don't want to do them is the time factor. It generally takes longer to do the actual work compared to how much the service chart says it should take on the older bikes than the new ones. Example- If a service chart for a Z650 says it takes 2.5 hours to do a shim the valves but they can do it in 110 minutes and a valve shim on a ZRX1100 takes 3 hours on the service chart but can be done in 90 minutes(all times quoted are fictional) it means that they can do more newer bikes in a 9 hour than they can older olds and bill the customers alot more for less hours actually used. They also don't like to carry older parts lines, the manufacturers want the dealers to push the newer bikes and they don't want to waste working time on non-repetition service work that isn't as profitable. It really sucks for the bike owners though and finding a decent mechanic is a major chore. Do what I did and learn to do it yourself.

chopaweeza
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
An all too familiar problem. I'm glad in a way because it keeps me in beer money working on pre-1990 models the dealers can't figure out. The main reason most don't want to do them is the time factor. It generally takes longer to do the actual work compared to how much the service chart says it should take on the older bikes than the new ones. Example- If a service chart for a Z650 says it takes 2.5 hours to do a shim the valves but they can do it in 110 minutes and a valve shim on a ZRX1100 takes 3 hours on the service chart but can be done in 90 minutes(all times quoted are fictional) it means that they can do more newer bikes in a 9 hour than they can older olds and bill the customers alot more for less hours actually used. They also don't like to carry older parts lines, the manufacturers want the dealers to push the newer bikes and they don't want to waste working time on non-repetition service work that isn't as profitable. It really sucks for the bike owners though and finding a decent mechanic is a major chore. Do what I did and learn to do it yourself.

dinorider
02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
yes I know!

dinorider
02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
yes I know!

monogone
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
If you really wanted to make some money...you'd set up a makeshift course & teach people who are into older (read: 70's & 80's bikes) how to do things such as, adjusting the cams, shims etc, etc... I know id be up for a lesson & be preparred to pay $$$ for someone to show me [:p]

monogone
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
If you really wanted to make some money...you'd set up a makeshift course & teach people who are into older (read: 70's & 80's bikes) how to do things such as, adjusting the cams, shims etc, etc... I know id be up for a lesson & be preparred to pay $$$ for someone to show me [:p]

chopaweeza
04-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Mono,

I don't work on bikes for the money, I do it cause I like bikes and get annoyed easily by ripoff merchants posing as mechanics.I have a small group of people that regularly get work done by me and that keeps me occupied on my days off. What people that want to learn do is - Get the parts needed(you exchange shims at the dealers during the work),bring a service manual(so I can show you what different things are & how to do them), bring a cold slab and buy me lunch. I used to teach Bladesmithing years ago and won't do a small group or classroom type situation ever again because it really shits me. But I do occasionally do one on one instruction on bike mechanics/maintenance during the week for interested persons. If you are interested give me a yell off list and we'll have a talk about it.

chopaweeza
04-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Mono,

I don't work on bikes for the money, I do it cause I like bikes and get annoyed easily by ripoff merchants posing as mechanics.I have a small group of people that regularly get work done by me and that keeps me occupied on my days off. What people that want to learn do is - Get the parts needed(you exchange shims at the dealers during the work),bring a service manual(so I can show you what different things are & how to do them), bring a cold slab and buy me lunch. I used to teach Bladesmithing years ago and won't do a small group or classroom type situation ever again because it really shits me. But I do occasionally do one on one instruction on bike mechanics/maintenance during the week for interested persons. If you are interested give me a yell off list and we'll have a talk about it.

clairebear
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
how sad about the old bike thing! i know dealers are burglars, and I suppose I know a lot of em dont really care about bikes, just dolllars. oh well.
i'm thinking that bloke you got the bike off has a loose valve of his own, what a deal!
give us an update in the spring!

clairebear
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
how sad about the old bike thing! i know dealers are burglars, and I suppose I know a lot of em dont really care about bikes, just dolllars. oh well.
i'm thinking that bloke you got the bike off has a loose valve of his own, what a deal!
give us an update in the spring!

chopaweeza
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Should be right by Spring. The previous owner really looked after the bike well and most of it is in great shape. I'll probably restore it to stock as it was a bike I wanted back on the 80's but but couldn't afford.I might eventually do it in an ELR paint scheme but otherwise I'll just be fixing it up as a regular runner.The last owner works 100+ hours a week and originally wanted me to restore it for him. He owns several other bikes and reluctantly sold it too me as he would never really use it even if it was running. I was going to do a quick repair & resale but I'll tuck it into the back shed until I've got some spare time & cash to do it right. I've got all the time in the world so there's no rush. I'll have the GPZ750 Unitrak Fighter finished in the next few months and when thats done I'll hopefully start on the 1100. I used to work on one a few years ago and they are one of my favourite alltime bikes.

chopaweeza
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Should be right by Spring. The previous owner really looked after the bike well and most of it is in great shape. I'll probably restore it to stock as it was a bike I wanted back on the 80's but but couldn't afford.I might eventually do it in an ELR paint scheme but otherwise I'll just be fixing it up as a regular runner.The last owner works 100+ hours a week and originally wanted me to restore it for him. He owns several other bikes and reluctantly sold it too me as he would never really use it even if it was running. I was going to do a quick repair & resale but I'll tuck it into the back shed until I've got some spare time & cash to do it right. I've got all the time in the world so there's no rush. I'll have the GPZ750 Unitrak Fighter finished in the next few months and when thats done I'll hopefully start on the 1100. I used to work on one a few years ago and they are one of my favourite alltime bikes.