PDA

View Full Version : uummmm...help..

catchmeifyoucan
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
had my bike up on the stand in first gear and gave it a little rev and i noticed it made a kinda knock knock noise from the front sprocket area, on further inspection noticed it only does it when i rev it a little, or if i back off the throttle quickly... i thought chain slap maybe, checked that, all good.. checked that wheel was aligned, and thats all good.. the noise sounds like it comes from behind the front sprocket internally... anyone know what it might be, or ways to check what it might be??

Deano
02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
put your bike in gear with the motor turned off. try to turn the rear wheel one way and then the other. you will notice that you can turn the wheel about 1/8 of a turn till the dogs engage in the gearbox. i beleive that this is what is causing the sound. when you shut the throttle the wheel and chain are spinning faster than the motor and the 'slop' in the gearbox is causing the noise.

try it again while draging the rear brake slightly. i think you will find that it will be fine then.

if so - no need to stress, all gearboxes have the 'slop' in them, thats the way they are designed

good luck

02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
rocket science aint it.

Hagarr
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Remove muffler strip end can remove baffle/silencing and replace. No more noise!!!

dane_ra
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Theres a noise coming from my motor too, but since I sorted the can, it doesn't bother me as much...

catchmeifyoucan
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
cheers deano, you were spot on, i just never noticed it before and thought it was something new, but probably not hey.. i tried it with a bit of brake, and it was all good.. cheers again for the help..