PDA

View Full Version : Thread Pitch guage

16-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Bought meself a thread pitch guage today, cos Ben needs the thread pitch for the handlebar extensions he's making for me :D
Only problem is I'd never even heard of one of these till a couple of days ago, and haven't the foggiest idea of what I'm doing.the tool has
V-US-AMER.NAT.
4-42
stamped into it, if that means anything to anyone?

Anyway I have located one of the 'thingy's' which matches thread on the bolt on my indicators, which has '20' stamped on it.
Can anyone tell me what this means? :)

chopaweeza
16-03-2006, 06:30 PM
The number indicates TPI or Threads Per Inch. TPI determines what type of bolt you have. Metric Fine is 25 TPI and Metric Course is 20 TPI. UNF threads are similar to MF but are in Imperial sizes. Almost all the threads on a Jap bike are MF or MC. Most bolt sizes up to 8mm are Metric Fine. 10mm are typically both and 14mm and up are usually(but not always) Metric Course. Thats the simple version

chopaweeza
16-03-2006, 06:30 PM
The number indicates TPI or Threads Per Inch. TPI determines what type of bolt you have. Metric Fine is 25 TPI and Metric Course is 20 TPI. UNF threads are similar to MF but are in Imperial sizes. Almost all the threads on a Jap bike are MF or MC. Most bolt sizes up to 8mm are Metric Fine. 10mm are typically both and 14mm and up are usually(but not always) Metric Course. Thats the simple version

16-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Cool!! Thanks Chopa.

Hopefully I'll get my extensions fitted before the run. :)

16-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Cool!! Thanks Chopa.

Hopefully I'll get my extensions fitted before the run. :)

fimpBIKES
16-03-2006, 07:31 PM
my handlebar clamps (i think thats what your on about???)
are a M16x1.25mm pitch bolt, which technically i think is finer than metric fine for M16??

either way its a wierd size, i think that they are originally off a yamaha raptor
dunno for sure cos i bought em off ebay

metric pitch is just the distance peak-to-peak of the treads
non of this TPI crap :D

just keep trying theads gauge patterns til one lines up with the bolts perfectly

fimpBIKES
16-03-2006, 07:31 PM
my handlebar clamps (i think thats what your on about???)
are a M16x1.25mm pitch bolt, which technically i think is finer than metric fine for M16??

either way its a wierd size, i think that they are originally off a yamaha raptor
dunno for sure cos i bought em off ebay

metric pitch is just the distance peak-to-peak of the treads
non of this TPI crap :D

just keep trying theads gauge patterns til one lines up with the bolts perfectly

EXBEN
16-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Um, I don't know what bikes your working on choppa but all the jap bikes I work on have Metric coarse bolts up to 8mm & metric fine over that, unless someones changed the fine bolts for coarse ones from their local hardware.
Chalk sounds like you've got the wrong thread guage there, you want one with metric stamped on it, your's sounds like an imperial one.
Your looking for one with sizes like .7 , .8 , 1.0 , 1.25 etc
I would say the thread your measuring will be 8mm if so it will be coarse, if it's 10mm it could be either crse/fine cause they are aftermarket indicators & they use either. Check the diameter first & let me know.

EXBEN
16-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Um, I don't know what bikes your working on choppa but all the jap bikes I work on have Metric coarse bolts up to 8mm & metric fine over that, unless someones changed the fine bolts for coarse ones from their local hardware.
Chalk sounds like you've got the wrong thread guage there, you want one with metric stamped on it, your's sounds like an imperial one.
Your looking for one with sizes like .7 , .8 , 1.0 , 1.25 etc
I would say the thread your measuring will be 8mm if so it will be coarse, if it's 10mm it could be either crse/fine cause they are aftermarket indicators & they use either. Check the diameter first & let me know.

17-03-2006, 08:11 AM
How's it going Ben? I measured the bolt, and it's an 8mm, course, according to Chopa's post. I'll email you with the exact details this morning (got to put some money on my card[:I]).

Guess if I ever buy a Harley I'll have the perfect thread pitch tool for it eh?;) Thankfully it was only $15.

Thanks for the info Fimp, but it's actually the indicator mounting bolt which I am looking at. They will bolt directly into the extensions that Ben is making up.

17-03-2006, 08:11 AM
How's it going Ben? I measured the bolt, and it's an 8mm, course, according to Chopa's post. I'll email you with the exact details this morning (got to put some money on my card[:I]).

Guess if I ever buy a Harley I'll have the perfect thread pitch tool for it eh?;) Thankfully it was only $15.

Thanks for the info Fimp, but it's actually the indicator mounting bolt which I am looking at. They will bolt directly into the extensions that Ben is making up.

fimpBIKES
17-03-2006, 04:21 PM
is there some way to make sure that the indicator points the right way once u screw it up??

i think im confused (more than usual....)
your extending your handle bars?

fimpBIKES
17-03-2006, 04:21 PM
is there some way to make sure that the indicator points the right way once u screw it up??

i think im confused (more than usual....)
your extending your handle bars?

17-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah mate, my drag bars aren't wide enough (only 740mm, and they're the widest I can find), so Ben is making up solid steel extensions (40mm each), which will be welded into the ends of my bars, and the indicators screw directly into the end of them. I screw a nut right to the end of the indicator bolt before mounting, and use that to make fine adjustment for angle, and to allow tightening up of the indicator bolt without putting pressure on the plastic housing.

Once they're in place I can remove the spacers from my risers and drop the bars down about 15mm, which I can't do at the moment because the brake/clutch reservoir bits hit the riser bar. I've also picked up a GSX11 air balance tube, which has the air valve in the balance tube, whereas the GPz has the valve in the top of the forks. With that fitted and the valve removed from the top of the forks I can drop the triple another 15mm down the stanchions.

Wide and low at the front, high and narrow at the back (eventually)

But now I have to sort out new mirrors, as my current ones won't fit into the new extensions.

17-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah mate, my drag bars aren't wide enough (only 740mm, and they're the widest I can find), so Ben is making up solid steel extensions (40mm each), which will be welded into the ends of my bars, and the indicators screw directly into the end of them. I screw a nut right to the end of the indicator bolt before mounting, and use that to make fine adjustment for angle, and to allow tightening up of the indicator bolt without putting pressure on the plastic housing.

Once they're in place I can remove the spacers from my risers and drop the bars down about 15mm, which I can't do at the moment because the brake/clutch reservoir bits hit the riser bar. I've also picked up a GSX11 air balance tube, which has the air valve in the balance tube, whereas the GPz has the valve in the top of the forks. With that fitted and the valve removed from the top of the forks I can drop the triple another 15mm down the stanchions.

Wide and low at the front, high and narrow at the back (eventually)

But now I have to sort out new mirrors, as my current ones won't fit into the new extensions.