PDA

View Full Version : Kwaka fan saying howdy

unsane
11-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Hello 'fighters,
Saw this site a while ago and was directed to it again one day last year by turbokat, thought i would finally sign up. Even though i like most anything with 2 wheels, fighters are the only bikes that really do it for me, asides from maybe a k5 gixxer.

Currently building a custom GPz ninja, not a full fledged SF for this version but still will be pretty nice, and fun to ride. If i keep it in the long run it will get the full treatment, but for now its meant to be a fun bike for easy insurance and daily use. Ive also got a gsx-f/slingy based 7/11 on the boil, but waiting till i move to place with brick garage to finish it (dam shannons), my current "shed of doom" doesnt cut it for safe storage.

Specs of the ninja are simple at the moment, '85 GPz 900 with '86 GPz1000RX motor. Whole chassis is powdered gloss black, forks are painted. Motor is VHT-ed satin black. Only have popped the head off due to a fuck up (metal blasting shot fell into head). So cams are hardwelded/hard faced, exhaust valves are polished and exhaust ports mirror polished (stock gpz ports totally suck).

Anyway, will post more pics as progess is made. Only posted one now as im on a 33k modem d'oh. (valve cover in pic is only a place holder for a black one, and clutch cover isnt painted yet as needed to lay bike on ground to fit rear end))

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/335346879207010.jpg

BOHEMION
11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey mate, Welcome aboard! Noice choice in fighter project!

BOHEMION
11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey mate, Welcome aboard! Noice choice in fighter project!

Razorback
11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Welcome!

Looking like a pretty average condition bike around here. One or two of the members even have bikes you can ride :D

Enjoy hehehe

Razorback
11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Welcome!

Looking like a pretty average condition bike around here. One or two of the members even have bikes you can ride :D

Enjoy hehehe

11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
The only place a GPz9 belongs is on the road mate, so hop to it.

Good to see another one around here.

11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
The only place a GPz9 belongs is on the road mate, so hop to it.

Good to see another one around here.

cammy9r
12-03-2006, 12:22 AM
another kwak fan [8D]. Welcome to the forum.

cammy9r
12-03-2006, 12:22 AM
another kwak fan [8D]. Welcome to the forum.

Gix11
12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey mate. Welcome aboard. Tidy looking job you're doing there.

Gix11
12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey mate. Welcome aboard. Tidy looking job you're doing there.

TurboKat
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
You made it Benn :D Good stuff, welcome aboard mate.
The Geep's looking pretty tidy, can't wait to see the 7/11 [:p]
Sorry I haven't got back to your email mate, I've been head down/arse up in the garage day & night trying to put my own Kwaka 'Fighter together for the Fools Run in a couple of weeks.
If you hurried things along with your build, you could come up for the ride :)
Be in touch, say Hi to Amy for me.

TurboKat
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
You made it Benn :D Good stuff, welcome aboard mate.
The Geep's looking pretty tidy, can't wait to see the 7/11 [:p]
Sorry I haven't got back to your email mate, I've been head down/arse up in the garage day & night trying to put my own Kwaka 'Fighter together for the Fools Run in a couple of weeks.
If you hurried things along with your build, you could come up for the ride :)
Be in touch, say Hi to Amy for me.

unsane
13-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys,
And yeah, busting my balls to get it done soon and on the road. Like anything the final 10% always seems to take the longest. Hoping to get it over to Cyco engineering this week for some final stuff like antidive blanking plates and a few other bits.

Will be up for the Fools Run if its ready, but still have R.W and rego to get through (and murphys law to avoid :D) .

unsane
13-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys,
And yeah, busting my balls to get it done soon and on the road. Like anything the final 10% always seems to take the longest. Hoping to get it over to Cyco engineering this week for some final stuff like antidive blanking plates and a few other bits.

Will be up for the Fools Run if its ready, but still have R.W and rego to get through (and murphys law to avoid :D) .

13-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Who's making up you're anti-dive blanking plates?
You do know that it will affect the damping, the oil actually passes through the anti dive unit. You might be better off plugging the anti-dive unit where the brake hose mounts. But you will definitely have to upgrade you're springs, heavier oil alone won't do it.

Any particular reason why you're removing them? There is a repair kit (seals) available from the GPz900R Owners Club in the UK, if yours are playing up.

13-03-2006, 06:23 PM
You do know that it will affect the damping, the oil actually passes through the anti dive unit. You might be better off plugging the anti-dive unit where the brake hose mounts. But you will definitely have to upgrade you're springs, heavier oil alone won't do it.

Any particular reason why you're removing them? There is a repair kit (seals) available from the GPz900R Owners Club in the UK, if yours are playing up.

unsane
14-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Its Paul at Cyco who will make them chalk, luckily he knows alot more about it than me lol. Talked about it a year or so ago so cant really remember the explanation of how he sets it up, will find out again next time.
Havent thought about new springs though, wouldnt mind some hagon ones or something but prolly cant afford it this time.
Originally wanted to lop them off to clean up the front lines, and cut out 4 of the 6 bleed points for less nightmarish bleeding.

unsane
14-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Its Paul at Cyco who will make them chalk, luckily he knows alot more about it than me lol. Talked about it a year or so ago so cant really remember the explanation of how he sets it up, will find out again next time.
Havent thought about new springs though, wouldnt mind some hagon ones or something but prolly cant afford it this time.
Originally wanted to lop them off to clean up the front lines, and cut out 4 of the 6 bleed points for less nightmarish bleeding.

15-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Progressive springs are about $150, order them through a local dealer (supplier is in Sydney, can't remember the name though). Last set I bought for a GSX1100EF (2 yr ago) they had in stock.

Without upgraded springs you'll find the front end dives a lot under brakes.

You going to be turning up at the Fool's run?

15-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Progressive springs are about $150, order them through a local dealer (supplier is in Sydney, can't remember the name though). Last set I bought for a GSX1100EF (2 yr ago) they had in stock.

Without upgraded springs you'll find the front end dives a lot under brakes.

You going to be turning up at the Fool's run?

unsane
15-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Ahh 150 isnt bad, thanks for the tip. Not sure about the Fools Run, would like to but dont know either way if bike will be ready yet.

unsane
15-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Ahh 150 isnt bad, thanks for the tip. Not sure about the Fools Run, would like to but dont know either way if bike will be ready yet.

Tony Nitrous
17-03-2006, 09:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Not sure about Kwak's.
I removed the non-working electric anti-dive on my GSXR and made up Blanking plates.
It locked the front end up SOLID !!!
Ended up getting Ron Williams at MAXTON to work his magic on them.
Different oil weight and level and drilling the right size hole in the right place in the damper rod.
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/282/ajfightercircle7sb.jpg

The hydraulic / brake fluid anti-dive on the Kat allways worked fine,
To check a Kat anti-dive.........
Stand over bike.
Left foot on floor.
Right foot Hard on the rear brake pedal.
Side stand up.
Fingers over the front brake but NO pressure.
Pull up on bars, Push down on bars,
Couple of times untill its bouncing as good as you can get,
as it hits top and you push down hard..GRAB THE FRONT BRAKE!
Should firm up nice and hard and not dive if all is well [8D]

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
17-03-2006, 09:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Not sure about Kwak's.
I removed the non-working electric anti-dive on my GSXR and made up Blanking plates.
It locked the front end up SOLID !!!
Ended up getting Ron Williams at MAXTON to work his magic on them.
Different oil weight and level and drilling the right size hole in the right place in the damper rod.
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/282/ajfightercircle7sb.jpg

The hydraulic / brake fluid anti-dive on the Kat allways worked fine,
To check a Kat anti-dive.........
Stand over bike.
Left foot on floor.
Right foot Hard on the rear brake pedal.
Side stand up.
Fingers over the front brake but NO pressure.
Couple of times untill its bouncing as good as you can get,
as it hits top and you push down hard..GRAB THE FRONT BRAKE!
Should firm up nice and hard and not dive if all is well [8D]

Tony.J.

17-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Personally I think you're better off retaining the anti-dive, unless you can get onto someone like Tony's mate, who really does know what they are doing.

The anti-dive units work very very well, when set up properly.

17-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Personally I think you're better off retaining the anti-dive, unless you can get onto someone like Tony's mate, who really does know what they are doing.

The anti-dive units work very very well, when set up properly.