PDA

View Full Version : Insurance write-offs

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
OK, someone out there must know this one.

What can / can-not be re-registered after being written off,
and how would you know.
If a bike is a total write off, can in be reregistered with
a new frame ? What do I need to know ?
Dont say SPONDON FRAME, Ellie already thought of that ;)

Reason I ask,

Tony, have I got a deal for you, one freshly statutory 35kph lowside writeoff 'Busa.
Couple days mate, and I will have all the goss, its a real low KM 2000. Scratched plastic, very small dent in frame where left handlebar whacked it. The bloke rode it home, no worries, but it's going to be written off.

It might come to nothing, Just an idea.

(and still waiting on a price)

Gix11
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
That's one line I've always been wary of mate: "have I got a deal for you"
Hope you know this guy.
Chop will know the answer to this and probably shayno.

Gix11
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Hope you know this guy.
Chop will know the answer to this and probably shayno.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Hope you know this guy.

Yeah, that bit was in Jest.
Wouldn't have a clue on price either,
Seen motors with injection and electrics listed at 5k!
Everyone from kit-cars to drag racers seem to want one.

Im not getting my hopes up to much.

Sure it cant be as simple as a rebuild on a 2nd hand frame then
get it inspected ? Nothing is ever THAT simple here ;)

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Hope you know this guy.

Yeah, that bit was in Jest.
Wouldn't have a clue on price either,
Seen motors with injection and electrics listed at 5k!
Everyone from kit-cars to drag racers seem to want one.

Im not getting my hopes up to much.

Sure it cant be as simple as a rebuild on a 2nd hand frame then
get it inspected ? Nothing is ever THAT simple here ;)

Tony.J.

EXBEN
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Tony,It is that easy. Just be sure you get a clean frame with compliance plate.Put all the other bits on & re register it under the new compliance with an engine swap. Be sure you get a recipt for any parts you buy though. I dunno about QLD but NSW just requires a blue slip.

EXBEN
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Tony,It is that easy. Just be sure you get a clean frame with compliance plate.Put all the other bits on & re register it under the new compliance with an engine swap. Be sure you get a recipt for any parts you buy though. I dunno about QLD but NSW just requires a blue slip.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks [8D]

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks [8D]

Tony.J.

ozkat
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Stat writeoffs cannot be reregistered in QLD, they have compliance plates removed by the insurance company. But you may use another frame, and register it. Im pretty sure the same applies Australia wide.

ozkat
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Stat writeoffs cannot be reregistered in QLD, they have compliance plates removed by the insurance company. But you may use another frame, and register it. Im pretty sure the same applies Australia wide.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Thats what I was hopeing to hear.
Now to see if he gets back to me.

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Thats what I was hopeing to hear.
Now to see if he gets back to me.

Tony.J.

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
The federal law regarding Stat Rightoffs is basically as follows. It must either damaged to the point that it can not be ridden without frame repair or it has 4 or more points of damage. Points of damage are scrapes, grinds, dents, bends or similar. On steel framed bikes paint damage on the frame as a result of the accident is classified as a point of damage. In any state it's illegal to re-regigter a Statutory Write Off. But beware, they don't always remove the compliance plate. A Kwaka Mean Streak I wrecked off and the 04' GSXR750(with the broken frame) both had their compliance plates still attached but the RTA confirmed both were Written Off on their computers.

I recently heard of a bloke that bought a damaged GSX750F from Fowles Auctions, repaired it and was unable to re-register it when finished as it was a Stat Write Off. He apparently is taking Fowles to court over it as there was no mention of the Stat Write Off status in the auction or on the website and the bike retained it's compliance plate. Apparently it is up to the buyer to check up on that and not the vendor.

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
The federal law regarding Stat Rightoffs is basically as follows. It must either damaged to the point that it can not be ridden without frame repair or it has 4 or more points of damage. Points of damage are scrapes, grinds, dents, bends or similar. On steel framed bikes paint damage on the frame as a result of the accident is classified as a point of damage. In any state it's illegal to re-regigter a Statutory Write Off. But beware, they don't always remove the compliance plate. A Kwaka Mean Streak I wrecked off and the 04' GSXR750(with the broken frame) both had their compliance plates still attached but the RTA confirmed both were Written Off on their computers.

I recently heard of a bloke that bought a damaged GSX750F from Fowles Auctions, repaired it and was unable to re-register it when finished as it was a Stat Write Off. He apparently is taking Fowles to court over it as there was no mention of the Stat Write Off status in the auction or on the website and the bike retained it's compliance plate. Apparently it is up to the buyer to check up on that and not the vendor.

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh, it is as simple as a frame swap just so long as the replacement isn't a Stat Write Off and has a valid compliance plate

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh, it is as simple as a frame swap just so long as the replacement isn't a Stat Write Off and has a valid compliance plate

Tony Nitrous
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

Thanks Chop.

So if a replacement frame for this was found
(or any similar case bike) it would be possible to do a check
on the "frame compliance plate" with somebody ? Gov'ment ?
I expect a standard fee for a Valid/Non-valid ?

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

Thanks Chop.

So if a replacement frame for this was found
(or any similar case bike) it would be possible to do a check
on the "frame compliance plate" with somebody ? Gov'ment ?
I expect a standard fee for a Valid/Non-valid ?

Tony.J.

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 05:55 PM
In NSW I do a check with Registry of Encumbered Vehicles(REVS) which is part of the department of fair trading. Ask at you local motor registry and they will tell you where to get it sorted. Just so long as you have the VIN number it can be checked.REVS in NSW will let you know if the frame is stolen, written off or still has money owning(encumbered) on it. QLD, NSW & VIC share data on stolen/encumbered bikes and all states share data on Stat Write Offs. I'm not sure if other states share stolen bike data but I know the Eastern States do.If you are not 100% sure of the frame get a REVS certificate(they are under $20 from memory) which will protect you against repossession and if the frame later proves stolen should help you with the police.

chopaweeza
11-03-2006, 05:55 PM
In NSW I do a check with Registry of Encumbered Vehicles(REVS) which is part of the department of fair trading. Ask at you local motor registry and they will tell you where to get it sorted. Just so long as you have the VIN number it can be checked.REVS in NSW will let you know if the frame is stolen, written off or still has money owning(encumbered) on it. QLD, NSW & VIC share data on stolen/encumbered bikes and all states share data on Stat Write Offs. I'm not sure if other states share stolen bike data but I know the Eastern States do.If you are not 100% sure of the frame get a REVS certificate(they are under $20 from memory) which will protect you against repossession and if the frame later proves stolen should help you with the police.