PDA

View Full Version : It's probably been asked before, but ...

greenman43
02-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm curious, what are the generally recognised and accepted attributes of a streetfighter ? I was musing over it last night, and wondered if, for example, a modded GS1000S would qualify - does the handlebar fairing essentially rule it out ?

Cheers,
Brian

BOHEMION
02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Your gonna get alot of answers to this one. I think Tony Nitrous Has a meaning that he has posted up somewhere. To me Its custom sports bike, no sooky.ricey racer wannabe. To me if someone says that my bike looks weird and ugly than I am happy, If it looks like a rough as guts punch in the face then I'm happy. There are SOME faired fighters out there but its hard to make one. CrazyMofo is doing a faired fighter at the moment. Its all custom to YOU, The bike is made to your attitude as a fighter, Mad/Crazy/Reckless/smooth what ever. The more metal showing the tougher it looks. Showing of the brawn to match the power. Thats why its hard to make a faired fighter. It all comes down personal pref. Custom mate

BOHEMION
02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Your gonna get alot of answers to this one. I think Tony Nitrous Has a meaning that he has posted up somewhere. To me Its custom sports bike, no sooky.ricey racer wannabe. To me if someone says that my bike looks weird and ugly than I am happy, If it looks like a rough as guts punch in the face then I'm happy. There are SOME faired fighters out there but its hard to make one. CrazyMofo is doing a faired fighter at the moment. Its all custom to YOU, The bike is made to your attitude as a fighter, Mad/Crazy/Reckless/smooth what ever. The more metal showing the tougher it looks. Showing of the brawn to match the power. Thats why its hard to make a faired fighter. It all comes down personal pref. Custom mate

Gix11
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Not this one again.........
Greeny, take a bike, in fact take a bike that has as big an engine and as much grunt as you can get your hands on, something that is hard to break and can be pushed to the limit with engine mods like turbos or nitrous. Now stand back and look at it. What is your favourite back end? Get one and put it on your bike. What bits are on there that you just don't need or want? Take 'em off. What looks shit? Paint it, polish it, trim it. What does the front end look like? Clean it up. Change it to USD forks if they're not already there. Give it some bollox. Paint it your colour of choice. Ride the thing like you mean it and fuck the rules. Now you have a Streetfighter. It's all about expression, standing out from the crowd and putting in your own work. If you take your bike to a service centre to change the oil you ain't ever going to have a Streetfighter. Check the Gallery and get some ideas.

NAKED:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5-11-2005_21.49.5Judge 1.jpg

FAIRED:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/projects/Piers/dreadnought.jpg

The choice is yours.........

Gix11
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Not this one again.........
Greeny, take a bike, in fact take a bike that has as big an engine and as much grunt as you can get your hands on, something that is hard to break and can be pushed to the limit with engine mods like turbos or nitrous. Now stand back and look at it. What is your favourite back end? Get one and put it on your bike. What bits are on there that you just don't need or want? Take 'em off. What looks shit? Paint it, polish it, trim it. What does the front end look like? Clean it up. Change it to USD forks if they're not already there. Give it some bollox. Paint it your colour of choice. Ride the thing like you mean it and fuck the rules. Now you have a Streetfighter. It's all about expression, standing out from the crowd and putting in your own work. If you take your bike to a service centre to change the oil you ain't ever going to have a Streetfighter. Check the Gallery and get some ideas.

NAKED:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5-11-2005_21.49.5Judge 1.jpg

FAIRED:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/projects/Piers/dreadnought.jpg

The choice is yours.........

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, there's a piece about on this forum I robbed from one of the STREETFIGHTERS magazine writers that he did for a Yank mag, if anyone can find it.

My opinion ?
A bike modified for Performance / Attitude / Aggresion.
Size and fairings dont come into it.
Yeah, the stereotype fighter is an unfaired GSXR with Renthals,
but there's more to it than that.
Why should a fairing rule it out ?
So no Katana can ever be a real "fighter" ?
So a 1600cc Turbo NOS 'Busa that puts out 621bhp and pulls
355kph isnt a fighter 'cos of a bit of plastic, and a scabby old
stock Japper with twin spots and Renthal is ?
I think not ;)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5936/bigccbusa1gq.jpg

Its all about Looks, Performance and Attitude.

Just my 10c :D

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, there's a piece about on this forum I robbed from one of the STREETFIGHTERS magazine writers that he did for a Yank mag, if anyone can find it.

My opinion ?
A bike modified for Performance / Attitude / Aggresion.
Size and fairings dont come into it.
Yeah, the stereotype fighter is an unfaired GSXR with Renthals,
but there's more to it than that.
Why should a fairing rule it out ?
So no Katana can ever be a real "fighter" ?
So a 1600cc Turbo NOS 'Busa that puts out 621bhp and pulls
355kph isnt a fighter 'cos of a bit of plastic, and a scabby old
stock Japper with twin spots and Renthal is ?
I think not ;)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5936/bigccbusa1gq.jpg

Its all about Looks, Performance and Attitude.

Just my 10c :D

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Stolen from a Yank mag,
Written by Nic Sampson from the UK STREETFIGHTERS magazine.

"In the UK a streetfighting motorcycle is one that the owner describes as a streetfighter, plain and simple. A streetfighter is a bike thats been modified for both performance and looks and can have a full fairing or twin spots or an Acerbis handlebar fairing or whatever.
Building and riding 'fighters is as much a mental thing as it is a physical thing and one of the nice things about them is that there isn't really a boundary to the genre - anything can be a streetfighter. If its modified on a performance basis then its a streetfighter over here...
In my years working at Streetfighters Magazine we ran features on bikes as diverse as street-legal CR and KX500s, a trick-framed CB250N with upside-downies, a nitrous Gold Wing, a cut down and jacked up Pan European (ST1100) a turbocharged BMW flat twin, fully-faired Blackbirds with big bore kits and nitrous oxide and a whole host of other weird and wonderful bikes too. None of them were "streetfighters" as the man in the street would think of one, but its there owners attitudes that make their bikes eligible for the magazine.

Nik Sammson."

There you go boys and girls.
Clear as mud :D

Tony.J.
29 days to Macksville [8D]

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Stolen from a Yank mag,
Written by Nic Sampson from the UK STREETFIGHTERS magazine.

"In the UK a streetfighting motorcycle is one that the owner describes as a streetfighter, plain and simple. A streetfighter is a bike thats been modified for both performance and looks and can have a full fairing or twin spots or an Acerbis handlebar fairing or whatever.
Building and riding 'fighters is as much a mental thing as it is a physical thing and one of the nice things about them is that there isn't really a boundary to the genre - anything can be a streetfighter. If its modified on a performance basis then its a streetfighter over here...
In my years working at Streetfighters Magazine we ran features on bikes as diverse as street-legal CR and KX500s, a trick-framed CB250N with upside-downies, a nitrous Gold Wing, a cut down and jacked up Pan European (ST1100) a turbocharged BMW flat twin, fully-faired Blackbirds with big bore kits and nitrous oxide and a whole host of other weird and wonderful bikes too. None of them were "streetfighters" as the man in the street would think of one, but its there owners attitudes that make their bikes eligible for the magazine.

Nik Sammson."

There you go boys and girls.
Clear as mud :D

Tony.J.
29 days to Macksville [8D]

ozkat
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
So would a bike with a 7/11 conversion, later model usd forks, better brakes, modified exhaust, custom paint and 17in wheels be considered a streetfighter? I think so.

ozkat
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
So would a bike with a 7/11 conversion, later model usd forks, better brakes, modified exhaust, custom paint and 17in wheels be considered a streetfighter? I think so.

God
02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
To quote Gix11,

"If you take your bike to a service centre to change the oil you ain't ever going to have a Streetfighter."

Oh shit Gix - looks like I'm in trouble!!!

By the way, what's this "change the oil" you mention....?

God
02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
To quote Gix11,

"If you take your bike to a service centre to change the oil you ain't ever going to have a Streetfighter."

Oh shit Gix - looks like I'm in trouble!!!

By the way, what's this "change the oil" you mention....?

Frankie
02-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Another one....
to build the Bike that way, YOU think it should have been build. Considering good suspension, a strong engine, good brakes ect. (better technology/ trick shit). It does not necessarely means that you have to throw a lot of money at it. Your ideas and imagination is valued as well.
If you like to put things in a Pigeonhole. I believe, your GS can end up in the category
"old skool", with or without fairing. "Old skool" bikes are older ones, like yours. And made to suit, maybe newer technology, and your taste of course.
Am I right boys? [8D]

Frankie

P.S. Gix, what the hell is that full faired grey thing? It's new to me. Bloody noyce mate.

Frankie
02-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Another one....
to build the Bike that way, YOU think it should have been build. Considering good suspension, a strong engine, good brakes ect. (better technology/ trick shit). It does not necessarely means that you have to throw a lot of money at it. Your ideas and imagination is valued as well.
If you like to put things in a Pigeonhole. I believe, your GS can end up in the category
"old skool", with or without fairing. "Old skool" bikes are older ones, like yours. And made to suit, maybe newer technology, and your taste of course.
Am I right boys? [8D]

Frankie

P.S. Gix, what the hell is that full faired grey thing? It's new to me. Bloody noyce mate.

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 07:27 PM
[quotewhat the hell is that full faired grey thing? It's new to me. Bloody noyce mate.
[/quote]

Its Piers Dowell's project Dreadnought.
I lived quite near to him,
(he's in Tenbury Wells, England and he was a friend
of a friend, (Hi Bart/Mr Bump)
He's one of the UK's top bike painters.
More on.....

http://www.piersdowell.com/index1.htm

Tony Nitrous
02-03-2006, 07:27 PM
[quotewhat the hell is that full faired grey thing? It's new to me. Bloody noyce mate.
[/quote]

Its Piers Dowell's project Dreadnought.
I lived quite near to him,
(he's in Tenbury Wells, England and he was a friend
of a friend, (Hi Bart/Mr Bump)
He's one of the UK's top bike painters.
More on.....

http://www.piersdowell.com/index1.htm

greenman43
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, the consensus seems to be, if it's significantly modified, then potentially it's a streetfighter. I just had a look through the Frank Allmann & Simon Everett 'Streetfighters' book, and it seemed to be saying the same thing. That being the case, my own modified ZXR750 would qualify, except being not even slightly road-legal, I think it misses out on the 'street' part ... :D

Cheers,
Brian

greenman43
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, the consensus seems to be, if it's significantly modified, then potentially it's a streetfighter. I just had a look through the Frank Allmann & Simon Everett 'Streetfighters' book, and it seemed to be saying the same thing. That being the case, my own modified ZXR750 would qualify, except being not even slightly road-legal, I think it misses out on the 'street' part ... :D

Cheers,
Brian

ozkat
02-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey Brian, good to see another "old, fat and scared" here

ozkat
02-03-2006, 07:33 PM

Gix11
02-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Yea Frankie, as Tony said that's Piers Dowell's Project "Dreadnought". He lived near me back in England as well and was a close frined of one of my best mates who's bike featured in Streetfighters. I emailed Piers today to see if I could get any updated images. He sent me that one over a year ago.

UPDATE:
Piers just got back to me - "Hi Si,Sorry bike project has been on total hold for 2 years while I've moved house,had a daughter and built a 100 sq ft workshop.Soon be back in action though.Keep nagging me."

Gix11
02-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Yea Frankie, as Tony said that's Piers Dowell's Project "Dreadnought". He lived near me back in England as well and was a close frined of one of my best mates who's bike featured in Streetfighters. I emailed Piers today to see if I could get any updated images. He sent me that one over a year ago.

UPDATE:
Piers just got back to me - "Hi Si,Sorry bike project has been on total hold for 2 years while I've moved house,had a daughter and built a 100 sq ft workshop.Soon be back in action though.Keep nagging me."

greenman43
02-03-2006, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

I think of it as managing people's expectations - if they think I'm slow and I beat them, I'm a hero, but vice versa and I look like a tosser. The reality is that my bike is an absolute rocket, but I'm a slug. Well, we are what we are, I guess :D

Mind you, I've always maintained that I'm a sponsor's dream : I travel round corners so slowly that spectators have all the time in the world to read the advertising ...

Cheers,
Brian

greenman43
02-03-2006, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

I think of it as managing people's expectations - if they think I'm slow and I beat them, I'm a hero, but vice versa and I look like a tosser. The reality is that my bike is an absolute rocket, but I'm a slug. Well, we are what we are, I guess :D

Mind you, I've always maintained that I'm a sponsor's dream : I travel round corners so slowly that spectators have all the time in the world to read the advertising ...

Cheers,
Brian

Frankie
02-03-2006, 10:14 PM
@ Tony, Gix:
Thanks for the pointing out. It looks like we HAVE to keep nagging him!
I really like the bodywork, I wish I would have the ability's to come up with something like that.

@ Brian: I like your honesty.

Frankie

Frankie
02-03-2006, 10:14 PM
@ Tony, Gix:
Thanks for the pointing out. It looks like we HAVE to keep nagging him!
I really like the bodywork, I wish I would have the ability's to come up with something like that.

@ Brian: I like your honesty.

Frankie

03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Yep my mates Humpty Dumpty with it's big-ass Ness motor, modified front end, stripped down rear end, custom paint and 'Psycho' wheels is a Street Fighter [V]:([xx(][?]

Geeeet fucked it is!!!!!!!! :([}:)]:(:([V]It's a fuggin Humpty Dumpty slug. Being 'all-inclusive' is a nice wonderful touchy-feely idea which get's the hippies rock's off, BUT it makes the SF monicker irrelevant if every bike with a non-factory scrap of metal on it is a SF.:(

03-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Yep my mates Humpty Dumpty with it's big-ass Ness motor, modified front end, stripped down rear end, custom paint and 'Psycho' wheels is a Street Fighter [V]:([xx(][?]

Geeeet fucked it is!!!!!!!! :([}:)]:(:([V]It's a fuggin Humpty Dumpty slug. Being 'all-inclusive' is a nice wonderful touchy-feely idea which get's the hippies rock's off, BUT it makes the SF monicker irrelevant if every bike with a non-factory scrap of metal on it is a SF.:(

Tony Nitrous
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Sat on the crapper, reading old copy's of STREETFIGHTERS
and I came across this little gem.....

QUOTE....In the past I've wittered on about how people succumb
to the "Fighter Syndrome" - those bikes whose owners have chucked
on a load of anodised fasteners, a pair of aftermarket 'bars and a
noisy can and then claim to have built a streetfighter - a statement
which is, of course, utter bollocks.
Okay, so if all you want to do is buy some shiny fasteners and a
loud pipe ("yeah, its illegal man, I'm a bad boy") then fair enough,
but ferfuxache, dont try and make out you've got an all-singing,
all-dancing streetfighter, cos you havent.
You have a bike with one or two shiny bits.

:D:D:D

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Sat on the crapper, reading old copy's of STREETFIGHTERS
and I came across this little gem.....

QUOTE....In the past I've wittered on about how people succumb
to the "Fighter Syndrome" - those bikes whose owners have chucked
on a load of anodised fasteners, a pair of aftermarket 'bars and a
noisy can and then claim to have built a streetfighter - a statement
which is, of course, utter bollocks.
Okay, so if all you want to do is buy some shiny fasteners and a
loud pipe ("yeah, its illegal man, I'm a bad boy") then fair enough,
but ferfuxache, dont try and make out you've got an all-singing,
all-dancing streetfighter, cos you havent.
You have a bike with one or two shiny bits.

:D:D:D

Tony.J.