PDA

View Full Version : Black and Red Katana in Sydney

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone

im trying to free up some funds by selling the SV and tbe baby bandit

that means im going to need a new daily commuter-mobile

i found a 1982 black and red 1100katana in sydney the other week while searching for a 750 for my brother and it seems like a good deal
it has had all the work i would have been bothered to get done on it already sorted

that includes a K&N Pod filter, rejet, braced frame, fork brace
upgraded master-cylinder on the front brakes, braided front lines
new chain and sprockets plus some other stuff i forget (battery etc)

it is being sold by a guy named Trevor in a wreckers in sydney
its black and red in colour (apparently the paint is a bit crappy, but who cares eh?)

i was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips for when i go check this out tomorrow
as far as stuff to check

i think from memory they can get a crack on one of teh LHS engine mounts?
and i should listen for rattles in the engine yeah?

i was actually wondering if anyone is familiar with the bike seeing as there
are only so many around and this one is pretty distinctive

from what i can gather he has had it for sale since last may (i found a reference in
an old thread trawling about as i do)
do you think that $3000 would be a fair offer?

assuming i dont find any other things wrong?

it will need a blue slip to get rego'd but i dont think that will be a problem

one of the main reasons for selling the SV is that its taking too much time away from the tiller
(too much tinkering!!!)
so im hoping to get a nice solid beast to just cruise to work on without having to fuss about with
it too much

03gixxerpilot
24-02-2006, 12:57 PM
dont know much about the Kats but a bit of advice............

befor buying it check with the usuall althorites to see if it is stolen, written of, still under finance ( sounds funny but it has been knowen for a bike that old to still be under finance ) etc. a bit of mucking about but will give you piece of mind in the long run.

03gixxerpilot
24-02-2006, 12:57 PM
dont know much about the Kats but a bit of advice............

befor buying it check with the usuall althorites to see if it is stolen, written of, still under finance ( sounds funny but it has been knowen for a bike that old to still be under finance ) etc. a bit of mucking about but will give you piece of mind in the long run.

24-02-2006, 03:04 PM
check the clutch for rattles, if they don't go away when you pull in the clutch lever, then it needs a rebuild.
Listen for excessive cam chain rattle.
Check electrical power outputs, tun on headlights and rev the crap out of the engine, if the lights brighten up 'significantly' then there's a good chance that the stator is on it's way out. Better if you have a good mulimetre you can run across the battery terminals to check output, should not exceed 14.5-15 volts (Always, Always keep the engine oil level in the Kats regularly changed, and topped up, the stator runs in the oil bath in order to stay cool, not enough oil and the stator starts frying)
Be suspicious of indiscernible rattles, the GSX's have a gear primary drive, not chain, so any rattles in the case not related to the clutch will either be an incredibly knackered cam chain (which will probably mean head work) or something VERY serious has gone wrong

Good luck

24-02-2006, 03:04 PM
check the clutch for rattles, if they don't go away when you pull in the clutch lever, then it needs a rebuild.
Listen for excessive cam chain rattle.
Check electrical power outputs, tun on headlights and rev the crap out of the engine, if the lights brighten up 'significantly' then there's a good chance that the stator is on it's way out. Better if you have a good mulimetre you can run across the battery terminals to check output, should not exceed 14.5-15 volts (Always, Always keep the engine oil level in the Kats regularly changed, and topped up, the stator runs in the oil bath in order to stay cool, not enough oil and the stator starts frying)
Be suspicious of indiscernible rattles, the GSX's have a gear primary drive, not chain, so any rattles in the case not related to the clutch will either be an incredibly knackered cam chain (which will probably mean head work) or something VERY serious has gone wrong

Good luck

Zed14
24-02-2006, 03:56 PM
fimp. meet you in town tonight?

Zed14
24-02-2006, 03:56 PM
fimp. meet you in town tonight?

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 04:17 PM
what time rexie?

the SV is fukkin loud so i try to avoid town at night, but what the hey :D

he just called me, the guy (possibly imaginary) who was supposed to turn up today and buy it was a no show
so looks like i shall be test-riding tomorrow ;)

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 04:17 PM
what time rexie?

the SV is fukkin loud so i try to avoid town at night, but what the hey :D

he just called me, the guy (possibly imaginary) who was supposed to turn up today and buy it was a no show
so looks like i shall be test-riding tomorrow ;)

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 04:19 PM
thanks chalky,
shall take the meter and listen about

im prepared to consider other bikes if anyone knows of any

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 04:19 PM
thanks chalky,
shall take the meter and listen about

im prepared to consider other bikes if anyone knows of any

Zed14
24-02-2006, 04:27 PM
give me a call 0416019455

Zed14
24-02-2006, 04:27 PM
give me a call 0416019455

suxukifreak
24-02-2006, 05:10 PM
and check all brake rotors for thickness.

suxukifreak
24-02-2006, 05:10 PM
and check all brake rotors for thickness.

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 06:09 PM
whats the minimum?
i shal take verniers

fimpBIKES
24-02-2006, 06:09 PM
whats the minimum?
i shal take verniers

fimpBIKES
25-02-2006, 03:47 PM
:)

fimpBIKES
25-02-2006, 03:47 PM
:)

suxukifreak
25-02-2006, 04:13 PM
The minimum should be stamped on the disks near the mounting bolts

suxukifreak
25-02-2006, 04:13 PM
The minimum should be stamped on the disks near the mounting bolts

cjburns esq
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I think I've seen the bike before and there is a some sort of cut and shut in the front frame downtubes. He claims it is a braced frame but I'd be wary of the work done on the front tubes, a couple of bolts in it as well.

cjburns esq
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I think I've seen the bike before and there is a some sort of cut and shut in the front frame downtubes. He claims it is a braced frame but I'd be wary of the work done on the front tubes, a couple of bolts in it as well.