PDA

View Full Version : Oils ain't oils.

Rich
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Researched and sorted on the oil for the Roadie a fair while back, now the Busa will be due for an oil change in the near future. Can anyone recommend a full synthetic oil ??

Cheers Rich

TurboKat
12-02-2006, 02:44 AM
I've been using Shell VSX full synth in all my bikes - road, race & trail - for years now & even though I haven't done a rebuild on any of them since I've been using it, I have a good look for wear patterns on the cams & bearing surfaces when I do valve clearances & at the bores & pistons when I lift a head & barrel & it seems to be doing it's job well enough - no pitting, scoring, hot spots, chatter marks, discolouration, scuffing, etc.
Occasionally though, I've had a (usually higher mileage) bike develop a bit of blow by or clutch shudder when I've put VSX in it & then fix itself when I changed it back to mineral, make of that what you will, maybe it's TOO good?
Whatever oil you run, no matter how expensive, the secret to minimising engine wear is to change it more often than the factory recommends - I change the oil every 3000 km on a multi cyl road bike because I reckon it's cheap insurance. (oil's cheap, engine rebuilds aren't)
As for the idea of changing the filter every second oil change, what a load of bollox, why would you pour shiny new oil into a motor that has a dirty filter full of the same contaminated oil that you're trying to get rid of for the sake of 10 or 15 bucks? Madness!

Oh yeah, ALWAYS use motorcycle specific oils in a bike, the anti friction/wear additives in car engine oils can render your clutch useless in no time.