PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes?

Large
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Errr...

I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the Kat brakes today.There was heaps of crap on the pistons and the fluid was rusty brown.

Now, how do I bleed them?
I've tried loosening the bleed screws and topping up the resevior as it drips through.
Then I put a syringe on a tube from the bleeds and sucked through the fluid while topping up the resevoir.
Then I filled a syringe and squirted it back up from the bleed screw.

This was all over about three hours and I'm a bit too pissed to think of anything else.

Any ideas?

cammy9r
11-02-2006, 10:35 PM
what you might have is a bubble trapped somewhere now, it is compressing and working the brake now but a couple of cc's of air is no good in a hyd' line.
Fill the res with fluid and loosen the bleed nipples the fluid will start to drip, this means the lines and caliper are filled.

Take the calipers off the leg (still connected to the line though) and tap it with a nylon mallet or handle of a big screwy, move it all around while doing this but end with the bleed nipple uppermost then crack the nip open one long slow sqeeze on the lever finish the stroke with it against the bar and close the nip before releasing. Do this with each caliper and put back on bike.

Any good? Right that is the caliper done

If still spongey bleed the line, remove the line at the master cyl' hold it straight up and look closely for any bubbles coming out the banjo. try topping the line up with a syringe (tricky) and put it back on, before nipping it fully up, squeeze the lever to eject some fluid out the union while you tighten it.

Last bit, the master cyl. loosen it in the clipon and wiggle it quickly and tap it with your mallet that should be enough to dislodge any bubble and let it rise. Tighten the master back up.
Give the system one more normal bleed.
EDIT: keep some water in a spray bottle and some paper towel to quickly clean up the spillage as it will fook the paint if left on.

********************PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAP IT LIGHTLY*************************

cammy9r
11-02-2006, 10:35 PM
what you might have is a bubble trapped somewhere now, it is compressing and working the brake now but a couple of cc's of air is no good in a hyd' line.
Fill the res with fluid and loosen the bleed nipples the fluid will start to drip, this means the lines and caliper are filled.

Take the calipers off the leg (still connected to the line though) and tap it with a nylon mallet or handle of a big screwy, move it all around while doing this but end with the bleed nipple uppermost then crack the nip open one long slow sqeeze on the lever finish the stroke with it against the bar and close the nip before releasing. Do this with each caliper and put back on bike.

Any good? Right that is the caliper done

If still spongey bleed the line, remove the line at the master cyl' hold it straight up and look closely for any bubbles coming out the banjo. try topping the line up with a syringe (tricky) and put it back on, before nipping it fully up, squeeze the lever to eject some fluid out the union while you tighten it.

Last bit, the master cyl. loosen it in the clipon and wiggle it quickly and tap it with your mallet that should be enough to dislodge any bubble and let it rise. Tighten the master back up.
Give the system one more normal bleed.
EDIT: keep some water in a spray bottle and some paper towel to quickly clean up the spillage as it will fook the paint if left on.

********************PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAP IT LIGHTLY*************************

Zed14
12-02-2006, 04:42 AM
use the syringe and push the fluid from the caliper up. nif thet dont work buy a kawasaki.

Gix11
12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Am I the only one who uses a tube attached to the bleed nipple that runs into a bottle of fluid so that you can see the the air coming out on each release of the nipple after pumping the lever and re pinching it when the lever returns to the bars? Or is that just really obvious and I'm missing something because I'm hung over again....

Large
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I use a tube but no bottle. So there's brake fluid all over the garage floor.

Finally got it to work and went for a ride. They feel pretty good now. thanks cammy and Rexie

Large
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I use a tube but no bottle. So there's brake fluid all over the garage floor.

Finally got it to work and went for a ride. They feel pretty good now. thanks cammy and Rexie

12-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Long tube and a drain pan. did mine from full strip down in 10 minutes the other day, and mine have anti-dive oon them.

12-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Long tube and a drain pan. did mine from full strip down in 10 minutes the other day, and mine have anti-dive oon them.

cammy9r
12-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Gix, what you mentioned is how i do them to. Another method is to pump the lever a good few times with the nipple closed;hold lever on then release the nipple. When the lever relaxes tighten the nipple and start again.
However the 9r kwak has a problem with spongy lever after a stripdown (seems common with them over here). The 1st posted method is somewhat time consuming but ensures that the lever is solid once more.

cammy9r
12-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Gix, what you mentioned is how i do them to. Another method is to pump the lever a good few times with the nipple closed;hold lever on then release the nipple. When the lever relaxes tighten the nipple and start again.
However the 9r kwak has a problem with spongy lever after a stripdown (seems common with them over here). The 1st posted method is somewhat time consuming but ensures that the lever is solid once more.

Large
12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I was just putting my baby away and noticed the lever feels spongy again. This is how it felt when I first test rode it so I'm not too worried as it seems to pump up a bit when warm. I'll wait till the plants below the garage get over their brake fluid bath before I mess with them again.:)

Large
12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I was just putting my baby away and noticed the lever feels spongy again. This is how it felt when I first test rode it so I'm not too worried as it seems to pump up a bit when warm. I'll wait till the plants below the garage get over their brake fluid bath before I mess with them again.:)

03gixxerpilot
13-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Just a thought........................................... ......
Have you checked to make sure that your master cyclinder is good and not bypassing?

03gixxerpilot
13-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Have you checked to make sure that your master cyclinder is good and not bypassing?

Large
13-02-2006, 02:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

No wouldn't know how either. I'll speak to my mechanic mate during the week.

Large
13-02-2006, 02:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

No wouldn't know how either. I'll speak to my mechanic mate during the week.

11GSX
13-02-2006, 09:57 PM
might wanna check your slave cylinder! the seal in mine had the slightest leak and did a similar thing.

11GSX
13-02-2006, 09:57 PM
might wanna check your slave cylinder! the seal in mine had the slightest leak and did a similar thing.

14-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Get ya shit ta getha large[^]mate make sure ya STERN[8)]

14-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Get ya shit ta getha large[^]mate make sure ya STERN[8)]