PDA

View Full Version : degreeing in camshafts

Deano
10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
does anyone no anything about this

i hear it is a worthwhile exercise

what mods to sprockets etc do i need to do?

motor is an 1100w

10-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Do you mean dialling in the cams?

That requires machining the mounting bolt hole in the cam sprocket into a slot, so that you can positin the cams more accurately (ie takes into account chain stretch etc).

The guys who do it reckon it works, and whenever I've had it done in the past it's given the engine a 'crisper' more responsive feel.

stevo
10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
depends what ya after and how far out they are to start with ....

having the events happen earlier will lower the VE point and later will raise the VE point in the rpm curve ...

cams is a WHOLE different area ....

stevo
10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
depends what ya after and how far out they are to start with ....

having the events happen earlier will lower the VE point and later will raise the VE point in the rpm curve ...

cams is a WHOLE different area ....

Deano
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
not sure how far out they would be but i did hear from someone that its like free horsepower.

Deano
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
not sure how far out they would be but i did hear from someone that its like free horsepower.

chadams
10-02-2006, 10:15 PM
If you get the head shaved or change the head gasket it can slightly change the distance between the cam/s and the crank. Given that most cam chains are tensioned on one side, then a difference in distance between the cam/s and the crank will affect the timing (slightly...).

If you are chasing every last bit of HP or have lowered the compression by running fatter steel gaskets then yes I would bother otherwise most stock bikes are pretty good out of the box..