PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Bandit

Hagarr
25-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Any of you guys experienced plug fouling or oil cosumption problems with the 01 Bandit. A mate of mine bought his brand new and has had no end of trouble with it It always appears to be #1 but lately it's also started to happen on #4. Original diagnosis was a dodgy set of pistons where the oil holes in the oil ring groove were drilled too large (Suzuki admitted a problem but because it wasn't a safety issue they never issued a recall). Rebore and new set of o/size slugs same problem. Have tried changing coils. Have tried changing CPU. Have tried changing carbies. HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

PS Oil consumption is OK now but still fouling plug.

Cruisecontrol
25-04-2007, 02:59 PM
"The original problem was Suzuki had changed the design of the pistons in 2001. The primary (only?) change was the oil return holes in the oil ring grooves was bigger than the groove itself. This isn't an unheard of practice, but most pistons that have this feature have the holes only break out of the groove on the lower edge. Suzuki centered the holes, so they broke out above and below the groove. Some engines work fine this way, others consume oil.

The fix for oil drinkers and late 2002-up production models was to install new pistons with smaller oil return holes like the 2000 & earlier B12's used."

Bummer.

dazz
25-04-2007, 04:30 PM
aviod using shell premium fuel and put it on a dyno and check exhaust gasses,bet it is running really rich.Also have carbs balanced.

Hagarr
25-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes we had it dyno'd but of course the mixtures weren't able to be read as there was something wrong with the dyno that day. I have actually convinced him to use premium only recently as I have used it since Avgas is almost impossible to buy. My Gixxer puts out 150 RWHP and runs 140 mains which had always previously run Avgas but with Premium fuel i've had no prob's. This new fuel "Post" leaded fuel's is shit. I had a problem with the fuelling on my Jag and fouled the plugs almost immediately.

Cruisecontrol
25-04-2007, 07:54 PM
My '03 B12 runs MUCH better on regular. Premium is just a wasting $$$ on these engines.

Hagarr
25-04-2007, 07:59 PM
The piss off is this thing hasn't done more than 18k and it's been to bit's so many times.

Cruisecontrol
25-04-2007, 08:05 PM
And Suzuki admitted that is was a design fault but decided that since it was not a safety issue a recall would not be done.