PDA

View Full Version : MIG advice needed

ozkat
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/92966583053054.jpg
I bought a 150amp mig recently and need a couple of tips (HELP!!) I bought it as shop soiled and got no paperwork with it other than the warranty. i realise what the wire feed does but im not sure about how the other setting work. also how much wire should be poking out of the tip when welding (i dont want to burn the tip out) im using an Argon Co2 mix i also got a couple of gasless wire spools. any advice would be great.

stevo
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
get a heap of scrap steel in different thicknesses ....

DO ya have any welding experiance??

ABout 1/2" - 3/4" past the tip ... NOT past the shroud for a start...

Best way to learn is go flat out and then dial back ... ya can pick when it's right more off the sound than anything else.. .. Run more amps than ya think ya need and use the wire to fill .(they're the switches ... high/low max/min
a cold weld where ya don't have enough penetration is a dangerous thing...

Break a few test pieces to check ya weld strength .... and/or cut through them ... that's how ya weld test for various welding codes.

I did have links to some sites before I reformatted ... do a google

Gix11
06-02-2006, 06:59 PM
It's a duff website as well mate but you might want to contact them and let them know you lost your manual or something: http://www.sip-group.com/welding.htm

chopaweeza
06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
I own the same Mig. Well, sort of. It was originally an SIP 150N but I tweeked it. The SIP 150N have a few faults that are easily addressed. Firstly, the feed liners tangle up all the time & need to be replaced with a stainless liner($10 for a generic at BOC and 20 minutes to modify to suit). Secondly, the gas they run is crap. I use BOC Argoshield 54 with an adaptor to bolt up to the standard gas line fitting. Thirdly, some examples had shoddy wiring which is easily fixed by re-crimping the connectors. They weld good steel up to 4.5mm without problems , using pure Argon & the nylon liner it welds Aluminium sweet as well. For bike work avoid using the flux core wire(the gasless stuff) but any hooby size spool 0.8mm or 0.6mm CIG or BOC wire works well with them. I've had mine for 3 years, build 5 complete frames with it and am building the Gixxer frame with it. Check the buildoff thread to confirm I use one of these little beauties.

cammy9r
06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I have the same MIG welder and as chop says it will weld ally no problem, although i find it very tricky. Will look for the user manual tonight and see if i can scan it in and email to you. But be warned it doesn't tell you much [V].

Instead visit this site. It has a forum which i'm a member of as well. It's not a sales site but a tutorial site with good demos
I found it very helpful.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

06-02-2006, 09:19 PM
just turn it up full bore,stand back,point the nozzle and sqeeze the trigger while screaming like you just escaped ward 7 at the local mental institution.....before ya know it you've just created your 1st custom streetfighter.:D

BOHEMION
06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
There a great little Mig DO EXACLTY WHAT DAVO SAYS

Rich
07-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Well fuck me, go to Tassie for a fortnight and I get forgotten about.... Only the other day I was giving mig lessons out at a cattle station near Pooncarie in far west NSW....

Give me a ring, you'll get qualified after a series of phone tuitions.

Cheers Rich

Gix11
07-02-2006, 07:15 PM
......your own brother forgot about you! Tasmania does have that effect on people though....

07-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Just look what's happened to J7/11

Went to Tas, and never came back

ozkat
07-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah but Rich and myself escaped from Tasmania originaly so we sometimes go there cause we know how to escape again.