View Full Version : Metal Cutting Tools?

Jaded
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Whats the best tool to use to cut out shapes from sheet metal? I thought there would be something like a Band-Saw for cutting metal but the bloke at Bunnings wasnt real helpful.

gibbo
05-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Try a nibbler or if you want to spend more money electric shears, probably need to go to a real tool supplies though, not bunnings.

EXBEN
05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
There are metal bandsaws, but they usually aren't that cheap,& are quite big. Depending on the thickness your cutting you can use nibblers,shears,jigsaw with metal blade(be sure to clamp it to a piece of thin timber then cut through the whole lot, to stop it vibrating), or the good ol 4" angle grinder with 1mm disk, the grinder with a flap disk is also handy for cleaning up the edges. Cheers

chopaweeza
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

There are metal bandsaws, but they usually aren't that cheap,& are quite big. Depending on the thickness your cutting you can use nibblers,shears,jigsaw with metal blade(be sure to clamp it to a piece of thin timber then cut through the whole lot, to stop it vibrating), or the good ol 4" angle grinder with 1mm disk, the grinder with a flap disk is also handy for cleaning up the edges. Cheers

My thoughts exactly. I used to make Roman era armour that way. Using Jigsaws & grinders I've made various battery boxes and oil tanks. Alternately, I have a set of bench shears that are just collecting dust you can have for $50.

Jaded
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys,

I might give the jigsaw a whirl.

Since I did that shorty can last week, it revived my enthusiasm for gettin back on the tools. So I decided to go out and buy some powertools, benchgrinder, drill press etc and made myself a workbench (2400 x 600) so I can get stuck into learning some new skills. I did a cabinetmaking apprenticeship when I left school so I can use tools pretty well, but Im a bit of a stranger to metalworking. But thats not to say I cant learn.

I picked up a ZX7R single seat tail-piece on the weekend which Im putting onto my ZXR750. I may need to make up some brackets to mount it, the brakelight, undertray and seat so Im looking for the best way of making them once Ive created the templates.

This pic is where I am up to. I had to modify the subframe a little to get to this point. Its just taped into position at the moment - I need to lift the tail up a little bit more at the back to get the right angle, but Im looking for a ZX7 seat and tail light to fit before fixing the tailpiece more permanently. Its a good start I think. Im going to paint the ducktail the standard ZXR colours once its done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/retrozedual/02050001.jpg

ANy advice appreciated

Cheers

James

EXBEN
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Working with aluminium is much easier & quicker.

Jaded
06-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Cheers Ben, Is it aluminium strong enough to make a subframe out of? I went out and repositioned the tail piece again last night and think I need to do a new sub frame to get the the lift I require. Probably biting of more than I can chew here, but I'll just have to chew like hell.

EXBEN
06-02-2006, 08:12 AM
The standard subframe is aluminium.

Jaded
06-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Excellent, Thanks for the info Ben - I appreciate it mate.

Gix11
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Loose that rear hugger and see how much the back rises mate! (visually of course....)

Jaded
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I might try that Gix. Cheers. Im sorta looking for more height where the top of the rearend of tail piece is in the pic above in relation to the top line of the tank rather than the distance between wheel and guard. Im looking for about another two inches upwards. When I sit the tail piece on top of the subframe (rather than around it) its the perfect height that I want.

Ive been thinking about how to go about doing this subframe and the best idea Ive come up with so far (today) is to unbolt the lower mounting point and pivot the whole subframe upwards using the top mounting point, then just making an extender piece to mount the lower point again. Will this work or does anyone have a better idea?

Gix11
06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
That will work but make sure you keep an eye on the battery. If it's not a sealed unit and the box is mounted to the subframe you might find yourself having an acid bath on your hands. Apart from looking out for that, you're idea is a good one.

Jaded
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Cool Gix, I'll keep an eye on the battery. Cheers

Gix11
06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Just going back to your original question, I'd have to agree with Ben on 'the good ol 4" angle grinder with 1mm disk'. With a simple pencil line and a steady hand those 1mm disks a really precise (if the sheet is pretty thin). Just float it gently first time to get a defined score mark and the repeat it over and over until you're through (obviously cutting on the waste side). The result is really good. Not recommmended for any really tight curved stuff though.

gibbo
06-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey Chopa, I might be interested in those bench shears, can you post a pic of it? Thanks mate.

Jaded
07-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Choppa, sorry mate I missed your offer for the shears. Thanks but I might stick to the metal bladed jigsaw.

Well the rotating of the subframe to get more lift theory isnt going to work for one reason or another. I think Ive exhausted plans A, B & C already, so Im in a bit of a bind. I found a pic of a ZXR750 with the same tail piece when I was searching the 'net last night and it looks like he's using the standard subframe. The site doesnt have a word of english on it so it doesnt help technically, but I reckon it looks good!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/retrozedual/side.jpg

EXBEN
07-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Looks like he's modded the seat unit to fit,see where the seat meets the tank, it's different. If you can get it down to show me I can tell you what you'll need to do.
Cheers

Jaded
07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Cheers Ben, I might take you up on that offer mate. I could use a push in the right direction. Would Saturday be a good time for you? Do I need to bring just the tail unit or the bike as well?

chopaweeza
07-02-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1070789136203980.jpg

There you go. Due to it's weight local pick up only. Needs a clean & oil but works OK.As I don't do the Dibbies shit anyone that wants it and pays me can have it

jack
07-02-2006, 12:25 PM
a bit of food for thought. rose joint the front of the subframe (top and bottom) arseup or prostreet applications are attainable this way with a stock subframe.the only other thing u will need to mod is the talipeice where it meets the tank (joining angles).

jack
07-02-2006, 12:25 PM
a bit of food for thought. rose joint the front of the subframe (top and bottom) arseup or prostreet applications are attainable this way with a stock subframe.the only other thing u will need to mod is the talipeice where it meets the tank (joining angles).

jack
07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
ha popcorn i left out the can hanger which will need extending unless u upswept the link pipe (exhaust) also the rear brake res line and batt neg cable (block to batt earth strap)will need extending.good luck.

EXBEN
07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Popcorn,I won't be there this Saturday & I'll be at bikemania next weekend so It'll have to be the weekend after that or some time during the week. Cheers

Jaded
08-02-2006, 07:14 AM
No worries Ben. I dont think I can make it during the week, but if theres a chance I'll drop by.

Cheers

James