PDA

View Full Version : Rim Polishing

dane_ra
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
hey guys,

OK, I know that a lot of guys do most of their alloy polishing themselves, but has anyone had a go at polishing rims?

I only want to do the lip of the rims, so not too tricky, but how do you go masking off the centre?

Zed14
05-02-2006, 06:35 AM
use masking tape to mask the area you dont want to polish so the paint stripper doesnt take the paint off then rub it back with wet and dry then polish.

fimpBIKES
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
make sure u use the brush on stripper too
it is easier to keep where u want it :)

Gix11
05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
It takes a bloody long time to do but if you have patience you'll be ok. I did one side of one wheel and then realised I was going to be in there for a bloody year so I got a local polisher to do it. Can't remember how much they were. I think $250 rings a bell.

Jaded
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I did my ZRX wheels a few years ago. I found that the centre paint was different to the edges and it'd take more than stripper to get the paint of the centres. The edges came off pretty easy.

Zed14
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
hey james have you got your licence application in for racing yet? id hate to not see you there.

Zed14
05-02-2006, 08:23 PM
and will you be in new era 1?

cammy9r
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
I used 3/4" masking tape (flexable kind for curves). Best that it is room temp before using as it sticks better but clean the wheel with an alcohol wipe or panel wipe to remove grease/dirt. Apply the tape to the edge you wish to protect is best to over hang a tiny amount as it can then be trimmed back to a perfect clean edge with a SHARP craft knife. Mask off as much as you can when stripping the paint and maybe double up the tape at the edge. You be suprised at how messy it'll get (or maybe it was just me :)) Some steel/wire wool with a little stripper will help the stubborn areas.
You should find the ally quite shiny under the paint once removed. Clean up the wheel then re-mask no less than 1" from the edge for polishing. I tripled up the tape to make sure i could not accidently polish through it and the paint that was to stay. Expect at least 6 hours start to finish but longer depending on how shiny a finish your wanting i.e mirror [8D]

dRRew
05-02-2006, 11:58 PM
few good tips there that woulda saved my ass alot more work then i bargained for. aghwell i have sincemoved onto bigger and better things. right on cammy.

TurboKat
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Hey Dane,
I just stripped/polished a set on a Kwaka, if you only want to polish the outer rim, it's a piece of piss. :)
The rims are a machined surface with no primer/undercoat/adhesion promoter so paint stripper easily takes it all off cleanly with 1 application & they are already half polished for you, just use Autosol/whatever & elbow grease & they'll come up all blingy. [:p]
The centre & spokes are a different story altogether, they're rough cast & use a primer so the paint sticks REAL well, it took me about 6 applications (all day) to strip 2 wheels & there is STILL a green tinge to the alloy :(

Gix11
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey, Rexie, I notice there's another member of the Rexie Gene Pool joined. Are we in for more pro Kawasaki comments or has he not yet be contaminated?

dane_ra
07-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Hey thanks for all your advice guys, I'll be sure to get into it asap.

Just picked up my blade yesterday... needs LOTS of cleaning up and work, but doing it yourself is what its all about hey?

I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as i get some mods done.

Jaded
07-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Rexie - I joined the PCRA but havent done anything else. Im not sure Im ready to race at the moment. I did the superbike school a couple of weeks ago and learnt a lot, so Im thinking that I might concentrate on skilling up at trackdays and then see how I feel at the start of next year.

Jaded
07-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Rexie - I joined the PCRA but havent done anything else. Im not sure Im ready to race at the moment. I did the superbike school a couple of weeks ago and learnt a lot, so Im thinking that I might concentrate on skilling up at trackdays and then see how I feel at the start of next year.