PDA

View Full Version : Its always handy running a laser shop ;)

crazymofo
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
giday folks.

thought id show you all just some of the capabilities of a cnc laser cutting.

ive just finished doing a dash for a mates show car he is building atm.

its for a eb fairmont ghia. basicly your only limited by your imagination!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/midnitebomma/dash.jpg

cheers.joe.

PS. if any of you good folks ever want something done.. ie.. some chain guards, some one off sized washers what ever.. i'll be happy to do it. i mainly work with stainless steel in all finish grades (inc mirror finish stainless) and mild steel, tho do the odd aluminum job. can do all bending and welding as well.

so if ya ever want something unique let me know, i'll look after ya, for example a chain guard with what ever design cut into it would be around 75 bux in a mirror satin finish.

cheers.joe.

01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Nice work Joe,as per usual.;)

Gix11
01-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Might consider one of those chain guards before long mate. I'll keep it in mind or we'll run through it at Macksville.

03gixxerpilot
01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
nice work mate, what thickness dose it cut to and dose the type of material affect the thickness, dose if do copper.

crazymofo
01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
the laser is not a big one, so will only do up to 6mm thick stainless steel clean cut and 8mm stainless with a rough edge.

mild steel will cut up to 12mm thick.

bisalloy (to cut disc brakes..) up to 10mm thick.

i wont cut copper and i have a self imposed limit of 3mm aluminum. due to the fact these metals cause damage to the machine.

as for pricing, programming set up fee's will be waved for members of these boards and members will only be charged cutting fee's and material costs.

cheers.joe.

03gixxerpilot
01-02-2006, 10:36 PM
thanks for that info it will certianly be handy to know in the future

fimpBIKES
01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
where abouts are you?

can i send drawings in DXF format?

Gix11
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
He's on the Gold Coast Fimp. A dxf file should work. That's what we used to supply any CAD machine.

Foxy
02-02-2006, 08:56 AM
I usually send my laser files as .ai as for some reason DXF files tend to fuck up in scale due to the signage software I use.
Joe, I use laser cutters quite regularly, and would love to get some quotes off you, inc shipping as I'm in Vic, when I get a chance I'll send some files to you,

cheers

Matt

Razorback
02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Whats it like for getting people to pay money they owe you ?

chopaweeza
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
When I get to the finishing details on the buildoff Gixxer I'll give you a yell about some accent pieces I have in mind. Not for another month but I'm impressed by the quality and detail.

stevo
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
bloody handy to know ..... I'll be in touch at some point for sure....

crazymofo
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by stevo

bloody handy to know ..... I'll be in touch at some point for sure....

no worries. im ready when you are stevo.

quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

When I get to the finishing details on the buildoff Gixxer I'll give you a yell about some accent pieces I have in mind. Not for another month but I'm impressed by the quality and detail.

this is exactly why i posted the info :) i would love to help some of you guys get a more customised look to your bikes, and if i can save you a bob or 2 the better! i too am also using the laser for some accents flamed heel guards, chain guards and brackets etc..

quote:Originally posted by Razorback Whats it like for getting people to pay money they owe you ?

theres a couple of options.. COD is one. Direct deposit is another, Paypal is also available and i would prefer it this way. money order what ever, im easy really.

cos this is basicly a thing i want to get going for the enthusiast, it will be kept out of the offical loop at work ;) so as to further reduce the cost to you guys, i do it in my spare time ie. lunch hour, and thus becomes a "foreigner" at work. therefore i pay for materials i use and the laser time i use. theres no mark ups or shit with it. you just pay me what i pay to the top boss. ive discussed this with the top boss and all is sweet :D

FOXY: ai files shall be fine i think, but i do prefer EPS files as they are slightly cleaner. tho as the machine is a DXF based one, i have to spend time converting the eps and ai files over. not a drama, but i would have to charge this at a full rate im afraid to say. but, if the parts you want laser cut are for your bike and not work/business related. i'll knock the programming and crap out of the price for you :). we are very competitive price wise at work foxy and id be only to happy to quote ya on work to be done, i'll look after you as well in that reguard, so feel free to email me at dropnut@hotmail.com with files and stuff.

DXF FILES are perfectly suitable to the machine and require no further work by me to have the machine cut it.

hope this answers some questions.

anymore feel free to ask.

cheers.joe.

Rod
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
id be interested in a chain guard for my Z750

ozkat
02-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Mofo, maybe a stupid question but i know nothing about cnc cutters, but can you cut only metal or can you cut carbon fibre sheet? im more than willing to lay up some CF panels of various thickness for things like footpeg hangers, exhaust brackets, triple clamp covers, gauge surrounds etc if it can be done.

stevo
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I have turbocad 7 ... can it save it as a file format you can use straight up ????

Pity ya don't do copper as custom head gaskets is an area I use ... havn't done any for a while so I'll have to backtrack for who I used last time..

The CF Stuff sounds interesting ... I'm going full CF on the sporty this time ..tank, guards, etc

crazymofo
02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
STEVO: i think from memory (i use to use turbocad) it can save in DWG format. if this is the case, i can work with that file directly as well. also what sorta thickness copper are we talking bout here? ever thought of brass for head gaskets? even stainless steel! i recently made a pair of head gaskets for a 350 chev v8. we used 3 layers of 0.4mm stainless steel. spot welded in out of the way areas in the gasket. so far the guy hasnt reported any probs at all, and he is running 12.8 to 1 compression

OZKAT: i have cut fibreglass before with no dramas but a black edge on the cut. i have not cut carbon fibre before, but i am only to happy to try it out, if you have a small bit of carbon anything up to 6mm thick, id be happy to try.

ROD: can do mate.

i can basicly cut wood, plastics, metals, fibres, leathers, all kinds of shit lol.

cheers.joe.

speeddemon
02-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I have full access to AutoCAD 2006 and full 3D visualisation tools if anyone wants something converted. email me what you want converted and Ill see if i can.