PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with racing in Australia

ianG
01-02-2006, 07:07 AM
We're all pretty familiar over here with Aussie riders in AMA...Mladin, the Goberts, Buckmaster. I've heard Mat Mladin say that he'd love to race in Australia, but it makes more financial sense to race AMA.

Is pro racing in Australia not as popular as it is here? I find that hard to believe only because we're lucky to get decent sized crowds at AMA races in the states. At our local track, Sears Point, there were less than 30k people at last years races. Compare that with about 90k people for the NASCAR event at Sears and it tells you how backwards we are when it comes to racing.

How does road racing compare in OZ?

Ian

BOHEMION
01-02-2006, 08:45 AM
30K is still a massive effort, At a state event we'd prolly only have half of that attend. Racing is a Much bigger buisness in the USA. But Every Aus rider would like to be able to play in there back yard abit more. Thruth be told racers would prolly recieve more royalties for there success in the states?? Just my perspective anyone feel free to jump in and give another

Tony Nitrous
01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Seem to get lots of Aussie / Jap riders racing
in the British Superbikes too.
Probabley due to bigger crowds, (= OK money)
60,000,000 on a small Island makes it easy to
get a good turn out to most race's

03gixxerpilot
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree with those statments, used to race litre sprints and crouds were ok but wouldn't be over a couple thousand. small crouds = small dollars, and no or very little sponcership. Usualy found that racing was a fairly closed group in that alot of the racers were sponsers of the track, races, cars and or events etc, so basicly a self sustaining sport but with no or little groth.

Rod
02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
yeah its bigger crowds more sponsors and therefore they get paid a hell of alot more than they would here. a very close friend of mine is a mechanic working in AMA under Aaron Yates and beleive me he is doing well for himself

03gixxerpilot
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
although once someone has goten a foot in the door overseas australia seems to have a lot of natural talent for a country with such a small population