PDA

View Full Version : Private Frame Importing - It's changed again

chopaweeza
30-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Oi All,

Recent free trade agreements and subsequent changes to Customs Importation of motorcycle parts are now in effect. Many of you remember how difficult it was to import a frame but alot of that has changed as well. The new rules are as follows
*No Import duty
*$70 importation Declaration Fee if the total landed value is over $1000
*GST on the total landed value
*No prior permission required
*No 15 year age bullshit so you can buy a brand new frame without hassle
* Customs Clearance fee $110
*You do not need any licences or other permits to import motorcycle parts anymore.
* Frames by themselves are no problem but add an engine and you've got problems.

Hope that helps some people. If you purchase a frame with documentation showing it to be older then you can get the finished bike Engineered at that years rules.

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 11:56 AM
ah!! Thats handy to know............

chopaweeza
30-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, I'm mates with several UK professional bike builders. They have slack times during the year so i'm checking whether it's viable to get frames made for the Aussie market during these times. Just an idea at the moment and nothing more but a possible answer to the chronic aftermarket frame shortage if it can be made work

03gixxerpilot
30-01-2006, 12:26 PM
It'll be intresting to know how things go, keep us informed on the progress,

speeddemon
03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey choppa,

I suppose if you get a harris frame it would not be a problem getting it engineered here as it should come with certificate from the engineering over there?

chopaweeza
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
You forget that it's the entire bike thats being tested. Most engineers that are decent and certfied will know that if you get a Harris frame you are getting a quality item that won't need xray or load testing done. That doesn't mean you can avoid the rest of the proceedure. You still need the safety equipment, the full mudguards, full instruments, big mirrors, big indicators properly spaced, brakes that will pass the braking tests and an exhaust that will pass the noise tests. What it does mean is that is that alot of the previous importation crap has been abolished. It's still illegal to have Harris build you a complete bike and import it but just the fraem/swingarm/bodywork is OK. The customs chap I talked at length to was extremely knowledgable. He recommended not importing things like wheels, forks or engines at the same time these with a frame can constitute an incomplete vehicle rather than just parts and an incomplete vehicle has to meet the same requirements as a completed one. Australian Engineers Certificates are non-transferable from state to state and not recognised by anyone other than the state they were issued in. I knew a bloke with a hardtailled Triumph Bonnie that bought the bike in Victoria were it was Engineered, had to get it re-certified in NSW and a year later he accepted a transfer to rural Qld(he works for AusPost) where he had to re-certify the bike again for the third time in 2 years. I have a good connection on the UK end in Bristol ,if you seriously want one I can ask him for you but only if you(or anyone else) are serious.