PDA

View Full Version : Removing polystyrene shell from old Shoei

Buggzz
24-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Just wondering if any of you blokes know how to succesfully remove the poystyrene shell from an old Shoei RF-R without damaging it.
The chin section is easy, it just pops right on out, but the skull section seems to be way too tight to move, any ideas?
Thanks.

chopiesel
24-04-2007, 08:21 PM
ummm fill it with petrol then pour the foam out?

Buggzz
24-04-2007, 08:36 PM
No that'd be the recipe for napalm, I actually want to put the foam back in again.....without damaging it!

EXBEN
24-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Why do you want to take it out?

24-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Try a chainsaw;)when removed from cranium:)

Large
24-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Not worth it...customs xray machines will find those disco biscuits fer sure :)

Cruisecontrol
24-04-2007, 09:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/Drop_the_Soap-Its_a_trap-1.jpg

24-04-2007, 09:23 PM
dont think you'll find a helmet with removable impact absorbing foam shell.Most high quality helmets have a removable liner for the "hygenic biker",but i aint seen anything since 1973 (Nam) that wood drop the poly shell without destroying it.Should be able to mould a new 1 outa that expanding foam in a tin gear (construction gap filler).But youn may end up with brain damage like me.

good luck

Buggzz
25-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Believe it or not I have an old RF-R with a good outer shell but with stinky inner and a TZ-1 with a good inner but gouged outer and the dickhead shop that did my insurance claim cut the strap off.
I was planning on grafting the the foam and lining from the TZ-1 into the older RF-R.

No I am not scottish, yes I am a tight arse.

I know I have seen someone do it before when custom painting a helmet, just didn't take note of how it was done, and have long since lost contact with that lovelly lass.

Phill
25-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Your head mate but dont do it.
I know there expensive but Buy a new helmet or better still make the insurance co buy you a new one.
Gravel rash to the head would be the best injury to hope for if you come off if some one else hits you!!

25-04-2007, 07:35 AM
They cut the strap for a reason if you cant work it out,dont get on that bike!BUY A NEW HELMET

zx12argh
25-04-2007, 11:01 AM
you can get a new helmut for as little as 100 bucks these days... Why would you risk your skull for that?

Have you guys heard about the new UV sensitive ADR Approval stickers? They fade over prolonged exposure to sunlight and when completly faded your helmut is no longer legal. Its supposed to account for the shell become brittle over time...
The shitty thing is - if you leave the helmut in a hot car it speeds this process. Next helmut I buy I will be sticking a small piece of tape or other such over the label...

Buggzz
25-04-2007, 11:23 AM
ZX12R you are contradicting yourself there bud and as for the other two dogooders, don't bother, if the helmet was fucked I wouldn't be bothereing, it stands to reason.
There was nothing but a scratch on it, and as I had excersized my right to claim for it the shop that handled the repair job insisted that they cut the straps off, mistakingly I might point out, because they were under the false impression that the $500 dollar payout would be sent to them where I would be forced to spend it in their overpriced establishment.
The manager was mighty pissed off to find that I had already recieved a cheque in the mail and proceeded to render the helmet useless, even though he knew there was nothing wrong with it.
I have had helmets in far worse condition pass scrutineering after an off at the track and used in the very next race, so enuff of the tut tut you should know better thanks very much.

As i said earlier painters remove the inner all the time for airbrushing so it can't be too hard, and I thought that some ingenios person here would have known how.

And BTW in case you didn't know a helmet is not much more than a plastic bucket filled with foam that roughly fits the shape of your head and in most cases gives the vast magority riders the impression of invincibility, wrongly I might add.

Seifer
25-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Haha doogooders, I'm gonna just sit back and atch on this one. Funny how your helmet went from a gouged outer to simply a "scratch" on it for the sake of making a point. Just sticky tape it to your head if they are that useless chump.

Cruisecontrol
25-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Protect what you've got eh Buggzz?

Buggzz
25-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Would you believe scratches?:D

http://i14.tinypic.com/2lmuyrr.jpg

25-04-2007, 06:22 PM
FUCKOFF;)

25-04-2007, 06:25 PM
OOP`s forgot this bit.YOU FAT STOOPID ROCKET RIDING hasbeen;)

zx12argh
25-04-2007, 06:39 PM
My comment was based on the fact that those stickers are determining the maximum life of my helmut which can be affected by artificial conditions.

quote:The shitty thing is - if you leave the helmut in a hot car it speeds this process. Next helmut I buy I will be sticking a small piece of tape or other such over the label...

I'll replace my helmut when I judge its in a condition to be replaced.

Cracks scratches dings etc all act as stress raisers on the outside of the shell. The foam is a shock damper so a whack does not transfer through to your skull and jelly your brain. Cracks abrasions scratches gouges substantially increase the risk of the outer shell cracking and splitting leaving nothing between your head and the road.

But by all means give it a shot, it ain't my head. I guess if they're scooping your head into a bucket I'm right.

Oh and obligatory ;) to show I'm just havin a laugh.

;)