PDA

View Full Version : lower triple tree seal

Watto
24-04-2007, 05:10 PM
G'day fellas

have been modding a set of 03 gixxer triples for my triumph and they are now in for powdercoating to finish the job

Thing was that I noticed the lower triple has a rubber/metal seal combo that looks like its pressed onto the shaft to stop dust and crap entering the lower bearing - problem was I couldn't get it off prior to it going into the coaters and he didn't think the rubber would stand up to the heat treatment but I couldn't wait so told him to go ahead and I'll suffer the consequences

question is how in hell do I get the plate off the shaft and are they an easily replaceable item at all? - it's only the lower triple getting coated not the shaft

Cheers
Watto

Deano
24-04-2007, 07:02 PM
is it a taper roller bearing or a ball bearing?

if it is a taper bearing then the seal is actually attached to the back of the bearing and cannot be seperated from the bearing without destroying it.

if it is a 30mm dia shaft on the bottom triple then you will probably need a 32006JRRS, 3 = metric taper bearing, 20 = light series, 06 = 06x5=30 so 30mm shaft J= jap spec, RRS = seal on the bottom.

dont bother trying to save the bearing just pull it off and spend the $30 on a new one. they are sold as a cup and cone assy so tape out the cup from the frame and put in the new one. never use an old cup and new bearing as this promotes premature failure.

good luck

Deano
24-04-2007, 07:05 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/57069407060685.jpg

you will see the black seal attached to the back of the taper roller bearing in the above pic

speeddemon
24-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Fusck im having trouble tapped out my bearing race out of my husky frame

Any tips on what tool to use???

Watto
24-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Gday Deano

Thanks the pics mate

That metal plate to the right is similar to the one stuck on the lower triple - looks like i might have the inside of the bearing housing still jammed on there which may explain why i couldnt get it off

Will be using roller bearings as a replacement to the original ball bearings (believe the trumpy shares the same bottom bearing as the suzi) but I have a custom one for the top

Will check on the bearings I have to see if they have come with a replacement seal

Cheers
Watto

Deano
24-04-2007, 07:22 PM
big fuck off hammer speedy.

just weld something to it and hit that out with a hammer.

watto
chances are you will be using a bearing with a seal on it as in the pic and just throw the rest away

24-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah Speedy weld the sand pick to ya husky:Ddrop it off the tinny at long reef & give the 90 hoarse the berries[8D]no more steering problems;)

Budda
25-04-2007, 04:24 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/77964707439151.gif

sealpuller it might work...

speeddemon
25-04-2007, 10:41 AM
hadnt seen a seal puller before but a reckon i would have to bash the shit out of it

i will try a bigger fuck off hammer then i like the weld idea