PDA

View Full Version : Money Wasted? (Spondon-Martek debate...)

Pages : [1] 2

ozkat
20-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Im proberly going to stir up a hornets nest here but ill do it anyway ;). There has been a fair bit of talk both here and other forums about aftermarket frames, triple clamps and swingarms. 99% of us here live in Australia so keep that in mind when considering pricing. $10000 for a Spondon frame (inc alloy tank, ohlins rear suspension and swingarm) seems a bit over the top. $1800 for a JMC swingarm is crazy. $1400 for a set of streetfighter style triple clamps...well thats worse than the swingarm. Dont get me wrong if i won lotto i would have a Spondon or Martek frame asap ( i actually would prefer a Martek) But none of these items provide value for money other than bling factor.

EXBEN
20-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I guess it all depends on your perspective ,personally I think that $20000-$30000 to build a complete Martek is much better value for money than $30000+ to buy a stock "Hardly Rideable" & a hell of a lot better value for money than $200000 + for a Porsche,Ferrari,Merc......or whatever............ more unique too.
But that's just me.

03gixxerpilot
20-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I would tent to agree with ozcat, and as he said if i won lotto tonight i'd have a spondon frame etc on it's way tomorrow. my dad used to tell me if you got a coca cola check book buy coca cola
if you got a champane check book buy champane

ozkat
20-01-2006, 09:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

I would tent to agree with ozcat, and as he said if i won lotto tonight i'd have a spondon frame etc on it's way tomorrow. my dad used to tell me if you got a coca cola check book buy coca cola
if you got a champane check book buy champane
ozkat ;)

ozkat
20-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Lets say you have a 2003 GSXR thou, you sell the frame $1000, the tank $350, the rear suspension and Swingarm $500 = $1850 is a Spondon/Martek/Baker/Harris frame $8150 better? Short answer is NO. 99% of riders would notice no difference at all.

03gixxerpilot
20-01-2006, 09:20 PM
very true most riders wouldnot notice the diffrence between rsu and usd forks let alone a chassis combo like that, but sill they do look real "BLING"

suxukifreak
20-01-2006, 09:51 PM
so why doesnt some one in aus do the same quality stuff as overseas and make us all VERY HAPPY!! [:p] :D

EXBEN
20-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Of course it is better, it may not be measurable around a racetrack,but 99% of the owners aren't on the racetrack 99% of the time & 99% of riders of Gixer Thou's don't make use of the bikes Potential anyway.
Better Quality of materials.
Better Quality of workmanship.
Better amount of uniqueness.
Makes you feel better riding one.
I bet the owners of Spondon's/Martek's don't ride around thinking fuck I'm so pissed off that I spent $30000 on this bike. It's probably more likely that there thinking how much BETTER they are feeling than if ther were riding a stock Gixer Thou like every one else.

dRRew
20-01-2006, 11:50 PM
im with oz, if i found 100k in a shoe id be on the phone to spondon before i knew it, but i cant really say that for the coin there is worth. its more like when people are lawyers they buy rolex, yet when they were apprentices or whatever they had nikon like everyone else, there wouldnt really be all that much notciable difference, besides bling i spose, but its up to how much u want to spends and what you expect to get. if you can justify the enjoyment for the $$ then go for it i reckon. later in life im hoping that i can go for it...

Gix11
21-01-2006, 12:41 AM
The title was MONEY WASTED. How can buying something you wanted or that makes you feel good be money wasted? How many of you guys have been to the pub and blown $200. That's money wasted, but you still do it and don't complain cause you enjoy it. I don't think a Spondon frame is money wasted, you saved what you earnt, you bought what you wanted. Where's the waste? Having all that money in a fat bank account and then dying the next day is what I call a waste. It's only because we're in Australia and the exchange rate is fucked that it seems a bit harsh, but thems the breaks for living in paradise. If you're chasing value for money why are you into Streetfighters? Maybe the Hyosung is the future for you?

Zed14
21-01-2006, 05:49 AM
most of them already have hyosungs gix. made in their japanese factory. they are called suzukis.

chopaweeza
21-01-2006, 05:56 AM
There is a solution. Frame jig. Complicated but doable. Take the mounting points measurements and geometry off a stock frame. If you can weld good enough , have a modestly equipped workshop , have the budget and are prepared to spend the time on it then it can be done. It is not as easy as maxxing out the credit card on a Spondon but it can be done. Not done in Alloy but in Cold Drawn Seamless type 2. I can point anyone interested in the right direction and give advice if required. We'd all like a Spondon(even me) but $$$$ are a bitch we all must obey. Just my opinion and not for everyone.

Razorback
21-01-2006, 09:07 AM
If I had the money Id buy a spondon frame and build a turbo Busa TOMORROW! How could that possibly be a waste of money ?

Tony Nitrous
21-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Quote.Lets say you have a 2003 GSXR thou, you sell the frame $1000, the tank $350, the rear suspension and Swingarm $500 = $1850 is a Spondon/Martek/Baker/Harris frame $8150 better? Short answer is NO. 99% of riders would notice no difference at all.

* I dont think Spondon owners / builders expect their bikes to be better anymore, Yes, 15 years a go they would have been a step up from a Jap frame. The word you look for is "DIFFERENT".
What ever I did to my old bikes KAT/R/B12 and now Busa that is all they ever were, a KAT/R/B12 or Busa, I see a Spondon, Harris, Martek, Egli, G+G as moving to the next level. Not sure "Chop" will agree but to me Its like a Virago / Intruder / Factory Custom will never be a real 1-off personal chop. Streetfighters are "Different" to Factory bikes, thats why everyone chops and changes things, If you want something REALLY different you change the frame, If you want the best you buy Spondon. Seems logical (if expensive) to me.

* Im sure someone in AU can bend and weld tubes! and I wish they would. But one thing they cant produce overnight is a long history of happy customers, race win's, R+D, etc. Some folk would rather pay the extra and buy a known product than take a risk and save money with something yet to be proven, right or wrong, thats the way it is.

* However... I would have though there would have been a market for a basic CDS frame similar to an early Harris or Spondon that would take a GSXR750, RF900, GSXR1100, Bandit12 etc with just a change of mounts ?

* Im sure Ash would agree with me on this one....
Spondons are NOT rich mens bikes, Im always amazed at folk who smoke 40 a day, drink a carton of piss, feed the pokies, have half a dozen kids / cats / dogs etc and say "what a waste of money"
Many Spondon owners are just a bit more serious about what they are doing that the the likes of some of us (Me included)

I think Exben and Gix's comments are pretty close to the mark on this, and I think "Quality" and "exclusive" dont come cheap.

Short answer would have been, if you happy with what (frame) you have got, they are f*ckin expensive, if you WANT a Spondon frame, they are worth every cent.

But then... What the 'ferk do I know ;)

Tony.J.
http://www.spondonownersclub.co.uk/membersbikes.htm
http://www.spondonownersclub.co.uk/gallery.htm

Large
21-01-2006, 09:11 AM
I think that owning a Spondon/Martek/Harris is worth it if you want absolute exclusivity. A Gixxer Thou is nice, but there are hundreds out there. With your average Spondon the chance of pulling up next to another one is negligible. For that alone it's worth the admission price.

imho of course:)

Tony Nitrous
21-01-2006, 09:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Large

I think that owning a Spondon/Martek/Harris is worth it if you want absolute exclusivity. A Gixxer Thou is nice, but there are hundreds out there. With your average Spondon the chance of pulling up next to another one is negligible. For that alone it's worth the admission price.
imho of course:)

Well said.

Perhaps its 'cos Streetfighters aren't huge out here ?
In the UK if you build a 7/11 or Bandit12 or "Renthal and twin spots" Gixer you have a LOT more chance of being parked with several the same at the Pub/drags/Show. Back home Spondons are still not THAT common in a country of 60,000,000 ;)

Tony.J.

chopaweeza
21-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Actually Tony, I agree with you. Spondon/Harris/Martek are great frames and are exclusive not only because of their price. The Japs/Italians/Brits have their latest bikes handling so well that you really can't expect an aftermarket frame to compare. It is about individuality nowdays more so than increased performance. Under the rules regarding frame manufacture in NSW it's a huge pain to get a frame design passed that will accomodate widely differing engine sizes so it's not worth it from a manufacturers point of view. People that have had frames built by me do so because they can't find new frames that will do what they want. Whats more exclusive than having a builder handmake a frame just for your bike. It's horses for courses, some will not be satisfied with anything less than a top shelf frame like Spondon , there are those that are happy building around a relatively stock frame and then there are those that want something different but can't find in in their price range or want a more personal involvement with the bike. If we weren't into modifying bikes we wouldn't be into Streetfighters would we??? Stock is boring but how much you want to change things is between you and your wallet.

Large
21-01-2006, 09:58 AM
I reckon part of the reason they mod so many bikes in Britain/Europe is because they have to find something to do during their "Building Season" or long cold winter.

I think I only missed riding on 2 or 3 weekends due to weather this year...no time to be modifying while you're riding:)

suxukifreak
21-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Just make your own ;) http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/18884942688745.jpg

Tony Nitrous
21-01-2006, 10:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by suxukifreak

Just make your own ;) [/img]

Ha ha, Yeah, although thats an odd looking bike,
it has won several major trophys for engineering.
Has some realy trick features like magnets in his gloves that
activate hidden switches etc.

and yes "Large" you may be right.
I have said for sometime that I thought the cold dark
shitty winters played a big part in UK Bike building.
I kept a bike on the road all year-round, but any thing
like frame-mods / resprays / engine rebuilds were always saved
for Winter, as did many others.

Deano
21-01-2006, 10:31 AM
i wouldn't call buying what you want waste of money.
alot of people, me included by things on a want basis and not a need.

I didn't need to change the motor from 750 to 1100 but i WANTED to
I may be only using 20-30% of my bike capability but that dosn't stop me from wanting more power.

What i cant understand is the price of slightly unique parts in australia like billet triples, wave discs etc.
How is it that a set of Galfer wave disc can be purchased from a UK based reseller for my 7/11 for 153pounds ex VAT (about $336aud) plus postage yet to buy a pair of similar discs in Australia form a supplier will be starting at about $800?

I understand that these companies/manufactures have to make a profit but with the internet as popular as it is and international frieght been quite reasonalbe these companies have to remember that the world ain't as big as it used to be.

most of you probably saw my thread about a new exhaust i am after. I can buy a full stainless system from the UK in Micron brand frieghted to my door for about $840 depending on the exchange rate of the day.
A similar system in australia in Remus brand $1200. I relise i am comparing 2 different brands but is the remus exhaust 50% better than the micron?

After looking at ebay US i can buy a brand new yoshi tri oval can in stainless for $278usd plus postage(about $361AUD) yet when i ring up the local bike shop they quote me $950 just for a bolt on can.
THEY CANT BE SERIOUS

I like to surport those who support us and will give local suppliers the first right of refusal, but for what price?

just my opinion

21-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Agreed Deano, and if you want to see the worst of that, come to Canberra. Most of the bike dealers around here provide either shite work, or shite prices, or both.

The local Kwaka dealer charges like a wounded bull for parts, and they NEVER have them EVER. In 15+ years of using the local dealer they have never once had anything in stock, not once. But they charge you for carrying the stock.

From now on I will only buy Kwaka bits over the internet (or from the local Suzuki dealership, who have more parts to fit my bike than the Kwaka dealer). It's more convenient (don't have to drive 15 minutes to get there), it's cheaper, it's FASTER, and they deliver to MY door, I don't have to go back out and pick them up. It's nothing but a piss-off waste of my time to bother with Canberra Motorcycle Centre (Plus they're a H#nda dealer [V])

And my next bike will definitely be a Suzuki!!!! [:p]

suxukifreak
21-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I just bought a fork brace from the UK for 99 pound which was cool [8D] but the postage was 60 pound which was a bit over the top [V] but got to my front door in 7 days.

qickdraw
21-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm with Ben, Tony, Chop etc on this one - buying/owning a SponHarMarPolyHeart has nothing to do with $$$$. It's about WHAT YOU WANT.
And the other bit about the swingarm - well the swingarm you'll have to take up with Easyrider imports but I can tell you make virtuall fuck-all $$ from selling a MetMachEx simply because I know that if I was to charge $1800 no-one would buy them! And I wouldn't blame them, either! So I'd rather make less just to see a quality product introduced into the country. (The wife'll kill me if she reads this!!). I'll make my $$ from the other 5 products the guy buys from me with the 'arm, or from his mates who he recommended me to...
The triple tree's - well I guess you'll have to ask Ben how much a lump of billet is and how many hours are spent making a one-off set. What's the hourly rate on that?

chopaweeza
21-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, I do know what it costs to make triple trees. Australia is the worlds largest producer of Bauxite(the ore Aluminium is made from) but it does not manufacture it's our T6 or Aircraft Spec Aluminium. 5 years ago I could make a set for $250 and covermy labour cost for it. Now the billet for a set is over $400 IF you can find it. Add to that the time required, tooling costs, design time and the stem cost. A right pain in the bum. An amatuer with a decent garage can make a set in about 20 hours and someone experienced alot less depending on the tools available. It's a shitload cheaper to build out of billet steel & Chrome/Powdercoat but it just isn't the same. It's a sad fact that it's often cheaper to buy a manufactured item like Quikdraws top yolks than it is to build them..... I don't build them for anyone but myself anymore for that reason alone as I'd have to charge more than they could buy it off the shelf to justify the labour involved.

Tony Nitrous
21-01-2006, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by qickdraw

And the other bit about the swingarm - well the swingarm you'll have to take up with Easyrider imports

All price's quoted were through JMC's own website
that calculates price / spec / country.
https://www.swingarm.com/online_shop.aspx
Maybe an imported could give a slight discount if
he's getting a good deal at "trade". Unlikely from
what you say about MetMachEx's prices.

You right Ozkat, you did stir up a hornets nest.
Well done mate, Some interesting posts and opinions.
If we all thought the same we wouldnt be building Fighters,
we'd all have stock SV/Bandit/CBR600 or similar. ;)

qickdraw
22-01-2006, 06:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

Yes, I do know what it costs to make triple trees. Australia is the worlds largest producer of Bauxite(the ore Aluminium is made from) but it does not manufacture it's our T6 or Aircraft Spec Aluminium. 5 years ago I could make a set for $250 and covermy labour cost for it. Now the billet for a set is over $400 IF you can find it. Add to that the time required, tooling costs, design time and the stem cost. A right pain in the bum. An amatuer with a decent garage can make a set in about 20 hours and someone experienced alot less depending on the tools available. It's a shitload cheaper to build out of billet steel & Chrome/Powdercoat but it just isn't the same. It's a sad fact that it's often cheaper to buy a manufactured item like Quikdraws top yolks than it is to build them..... I don't build them for anyone but myself anymore for that reason alone as I'd have to charge more than they could buy it off the shelf to justify the labour involved.

That's exactly what I mean - it's not cheap these days at all. That's exactly why JMC/MetMachEx etc is so exe to buy too. The 'trade' discount is crap beacause their material costs are so high. This means that for them to sell even direct from the factory they can only stick a minimal profit margin on it (thus relying on quantity of sales). This means that they can't afford to give any real 'trade' price to anyone - it doesn't matter if you buy 1 or 100.
So for any importer who is serious & trying to make a living from his/her business to make it work they need to stick an unrealistic price on it.
Having said that JMC do have a larger trade discount than Met - but that is because their retail is inflated in the first place.. $1800ish against $1500ish for a very similar product.:D

ozkat
22-01-2006, 06:43 PM
just did a quote with JMC GS1000 arm (didnt have Katana listed) unpolished, 150mm chain adjusters,with under brace, to suit 180/55/17 $1000AU thats getting very close to what i would be prepared to pay. Can Meta better that?

Tony Nitrous
22-01-2006, 08:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

just did a quote with JMC GS1000 arm (didnt have Katana listed) unpolished, 150mm chain adjusters,with under brace, to suit 180/55/17 $1000AU thats getting very close to what i would be prepared to pay. Can Meta better that?

They do list "GSX1100" although I thought it would have been similar.
I have sent arms back to JMC to have concentrics chopped off and changed to drag adjusters, also had shoch mounts moved, chain guard mounts fitted etc. Never had a drama.
In the UK with the guys I knew, with swingarms,
it always seemed to be,
1st Spondon / Martek / Harris...$$$$'s
2nd JMC, very good, Top product / lots of options, not cheap.
3rd MetmachEx, Still good, but never seemed to have popularity.
Nothing against Metmachex, I know guys who are more than happy with them. Nothing against them myself. Perhaps im suffering from "Brand Name Brain Washing" ;)

Tony.J.

How much for a MetMachEx arm...
Busa, 6"-150mm drag sliders, Top bottom MEGA braced,
Takes standard wheel / tyre size,
Mirror polished, chain guard mounts, posted to AU ?
JMC $ 1295
Met $ ????

Tony.J.

cammy9r
22-01-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/45446440054353.jpg

$10,000 for a frame fook me! i thought. Then i did a currency convert and that works out to be £4,228.73 GBP (still a shit load of money). Don't hate me for this, but i don't really like the spondons; looks like polished scaffold tubes to me although i do respect the engineering and quality of them. Would take years of training/practice before i could get anywhere near as good as them not to mention the cost of the machines- bending/shaping, welding and finishing. So i'm sure there worth the money and as Gix said it's not a waste if you want it.
Perhaps we should concentrate on building bikes with little frame visible, i think these look good and your $10,000 could get invested in this. But we all have our own views and bank balances :)

P.S no fekkin idea what that bike is just thought it was [8D]

dRRew
23-01-2006, 12:43 PM
this is an awesome thread, all the different opinions and wise speeches and expressions. far out im watching the progress and its great.

23-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey QuickDraw, were you the one looking at bringing in the Bandit (or such like) helmets?

Corey at Joe's in CBR (listed in parts pages) is interested, if you want to give him a bell.

And dRRew, have you been taking happy drugs again? you're sounding like the bloke from Demtel there mate.

(And just because I'm writing this at work doesn't mean that I'm not in that other state we discussed earlier)

Frankie
14-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Lads,
well... where do I start.
In Feb. 04 I bought a new Tuono. On the road, aftermarket pipe ect. $ 25.000! After 7000Km oil in coolant. Engine pulled apart and so on O.k. 2.500Km later, same thing. Aprilia Australia and Rick Gill Motorcycle in Perth are pulling my dick. Sold the f^%$$g Aprilia for $15.000. $10.000 loss in ten months. Now, thats money wasted.

To me they are no good handling v twins around except the Italians, (don't tell me about the Buells or Monsters for that matter. KTM??). Frank and Italian bike? No way. If I think how much the mates spend on keeping their Ducatis running. (I do not have a car. I ride everyday). A mates 996 fell over.... almost $6.000 damage!!!
The bike industry does not supply my need for a good handling, reliable, reasonable cheap -to- run- bike, fact.
What to do? Build me own! When you do things, you do them right. I build this bike for under $30.000,( would have been much cheaper if I already had a donor bike). About the same as a new Aprilia, Ducati or R1 SP would cost! Why do people by the SP's? Do they really need the Ohlins and Slipper Clutch, when they are not racing?

Would anyone in this forum think I'll lose $10.000 in the first ten months on a Spondon??

Fact, I really don't give a damn on what "other people" think what I am riding. I am 45 next month, I am no boy racer no more!

You ride whatever bike, like Bandit or GSXR or R1 you name it. It will be only "another" of whatever. The following Year one gets another of whatever, because the new one has 2.5 bhp more. No disrespect, though I 've done it myself often enough! A Spondon, however, will be always a Spondon.

I am working in a remote Iron Ore Mine, 14 Days straight, 12 Hrs. a day. Why? Because I choose to. I am no rich guy, I am "only" a Tradesmen. But I choose to work in the bush in 48 C. It is no good to me to say this is to expensive or the exchange rate is down. Why can I afford a Spondon? Because I want one bad enough. Why do I want one that bad? Because I really had a ball on that Tuono. No inline four could give me that. O.K. thats very personal, but so is the Spondon. Bonus, I build the bike the way I want it!

You seem to forget that you compare Apples with Bananas. How can you compare the cost of a production frame to a custom? My frame is build No.4. All hand made. Do you realise it takes over a week for one guy to build the frame? The tank, hand made.
Secondly, have a look at the welds on a Spondon and then check out a jap frame.... Thirdly, Spondons won Isle of Man Races, GP Races, British Superbikes and what not in the sixtys already (like Harries by the way). There is a lot of knowledge about the geometry, stiffness ect. One can not just start up his own buiseness and start making good bike frames. Besides, there is a real wheight saving.

If I start modifying a new standard SV or TL, I may as well build a Spondon. I spend $6.500 on me Fazer. I still get only market value. Thats why it will be always just a SV or TL. You see where I am coming from?

Another one: You Fellows obviously don't know who and how the Marteks where build. If you would, then you would not make statements like "I like the Marteks better." I can tell you the story later, if you want.

@cammy9r: The bike picture is a PPS/ Rau. Build in Germany since the 80's. You get a complete second hand bike for 10.000 Euros. Excellent build quality. If you serious, let me know. Again, these are custom bikes, to a price of a new jap!
Here coupla links from dealers in Germany. Just have a look. You'll get the idea....
http://www.sr-bikesandparts.de/page1/indeger.html
http://ms-bikes.de/navigation/index.htm

@ozkat. Thanks for bringing this up. I got a view things of me chest. I sincerely hope that no one feels disrespected. Still, it is only my humble opinion.

'til next time
Frankie

P.S
The Pricelist: http://www.spondonengineering.co.uk/prices.htm

Frankie
14-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Lads,
well... where do I start.
In Feb. 04 I bought a new Tuono. On the road, aftermarket pipe ect. $ 25.000! After 7000Km oil in coolant. Engine pulled apart and so on O.k. 2.500Km later, same thing. Aprilia Australia and Rick Gill Motorcycle in Perth are pulling my dick. Sold the f^%$$g Aprilia for $15.000. $10.000 loss in ten months. Now, thats money wasted.

To me they are no good handling v twins around except the Italians, (don't tell me about the Buells or Monsters for that matter. KTM??). Frank and Italian bike? No way. If I think how much the mates spend on keeping their Ducatis running. (I do not have a car. I ride everyday). A mates 996 fell over.... almost $6.000 damage!!!
The bike industry does not supply my need for a good handling, reliable, reasonable cheap -to- run- bike, fact.
What to do? Build me own! When you do things, you do them right. I build this bike for under $30.000,( would have been much cheaper if I already had a donor bike). About the same as a new Aprilia, Ducati or R1 SP would cost! Why do people by the SP's? Do they really need the Ohlins and Slipper Clutch, when they are not racing?

Would anyone in this forum think I'll lose $10.000 in the first ten months on a Spondon??

Fact, I really don't give a damn on what "other people" think what I am riding. I am 45 next month, I am no boy racer no more!

You ride whatever bike, like Bandit or GSXR or R1 you name it. It will be only "another" of whatever. The following Year one gets another of whatever, because the new one has 2.5 bhp more. No disrespect, though I 've done it myself often enough! A Spondon, however, will be always a Spondon.

I am working in a remote Iron Ore Mine, 14 Days straight, 12 Hrs. a day. Why? Because I choose to. I am no rich guy, I am "only" a Tradesmen. But I choose to work in the bush in 48 C. It is no good to me to say this is to expensive or the exchange rate is down. Why can I afford a Spondon? Because I want one bad enough. Why do I want one that bad? Because I really had a ball on that Tuono. No inline four could give me that. O.K. thats very personal, but so is the Spondon. Bonus, I build the bike the way I want it!

You seem to forget that you compare Apples with Bananas. How can you compare the cost of a production frame to a custom? My frame is build No.4. All hand made. Do you realise it takes over a week for one guy to build the frame? The tank, hand made.
Secondly, have a look at the welds on a Spondon and then check out a jap frame.... Thirdly, Spondons won Isle of Man Races, GP Races, British Superbikes and what not in the sixtys already (like Harries by the way). There is a lot of knowledge about the geometry, stiffness ect. One can not just start up his own buiseness and start making good bike frames. Besides, there is a real wheight saving.

If I start modifying a new standard SV or TL, I may as well build a Spondon. I spend $6.500 on me Fazer. I still get only market value. Thats why it will be always just a SV or TL. You see where I am coming from?

Another one: You Fellows obviously don't know who and how the Marteks where build. If you would, then you would not make statements like "I like the Marteks better." I can tell you the story later, if you want.

@cammy9r: The bike picture is a PPS/ Rau. Build in Germany since the 80's. You get a complete second hand bike for 10.000 Euros. Excellent build quality. If you serious, let me know. Again, these are custom bikes, to a price of a new jap!
Here coupla links from dealers in Germany. Just have a look. You'll get the idea....
http://www.sr-bikesandparts.de/page1/indeger.html
http://ms-bikes.de/navigation/index.htm

@ozkat. Thanks for bringing this up. I got a view things of me chest. I sincerely hope that no one feels disrespected. Still, it is only my humble opinion.

'til next time
Frankie

P.S
The Pricelist: http://www.spondonengineering.co.uk/prices.htm

Gix11
15-02-2006, 02:06 PM
As I mentioned before on this topic, I'm with you all the way on your comments mate.

Gix11
15-02-2006, 02:06 PM
As I mentioned before on this topic, I'm with you all the way on your comments mate.

Frankie
15-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Gix,
I realise that! You are one of the ones, who REALY understands..... Thanks for you support!
Have you read my comment about the expansion of the ASF community? Whaddaya think?

Frankie

Frankie
15-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi Gix,
I realise that! You are one of the ones, who REALY understands..... Thanks for you support!
Have you read my comment about the expansion of the ASF community? Whaddaya think?

Frankie

Gix11
15-02-2006, 04:31 PM
It sounds as though you speak from experience in a country that has a much longer love of Streetfighters. At the moment we are a minority, which makes it more interesting. I don't want to have to put a membership fee on this site but if it gets to the stage where we had to to lock out tools and maybe fund events then I guess we would have to. Advertising to nob heads, I guess, would bring a flood of unwanted shite and force that membership fee, so the less we do of that, the better I guess.

Gix11
15-02-2006, 04:31 PM
It sounds as though you speak from experience in a country that has a much longer love of Streetfighters. At the moment we are a minority, which makes it more interesting. I don't want to have to put a membership fee on this site but if it gets to the stage where we had to to lock out tools and maybe fund events then I guess we would have to. Advertising to nob heads, I guess, would bring a flood of unwanted shite and force that membership fee, so the less we do of that, the better I guess.

Tony Nitrous
15-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Big thumbs up from me too Frankie.

You just backed up everything I said about Spondons.

Well said.

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
15-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Big thumbs up from me too Frankie.

You just backed up everything I said about Spondons.

Well said.

Tony.J.

Large
15-02-2006, 05:16 PM
quote:Another one: You Fellows obviously don't know who and how the Marteks where build. If you would, then you would not make statements like "I like the Marteks better." I can tell you the story later, if you want.

I'd like to hear about the Marteks Frankie.

And I can't see why a Spondon would cost $30k. I've got 10.5k for the frame and swinger...but I can't see the motor/electrics/frontend/wheels/painting etc costing another 20k...

What have I missed?

Large
15-02-2006, 05:16 PM
quote:Another one: You Fellows obviously don't know who and how the Marteks where build. If you would, then you would not make statements like "I like the Marteks better." I can tell you the story later, if you want.

I'd like to hear about the Marteks Frankie.

And I can't see why a Spondon would cost $30k. I've got 10.5k for the frame and swinger...but I can't see the motor/electrics/frontend/wheels/painting etc costing another 20k...

What have I missed?

Tony Nitrous
15-02-2006, 05:49 PM
quote:And I can't see why a Spondon would cost $30k. I've got 10.5k for the frame and swinger...but I can't see the motor/electrics/frontend/wheels/painting etc costing another 20k...
What have I missed?

Depends what standard you build too.
You dont NEED Ohlins / WP / Carrillo / Carbon / Magnesium /
everything... I think its a case of where you draw the line.
A $20/$25,000 build could easy be a $30/$40,000 if you want silly
power or think that famous names are a "must have".
Its back to personal taste,
Some want the best of everything, at any cost.
Some want a real-world useable bike thats different.
I have seen folk get carried away and the original budget soon go's
out the window. Easy done.

Be interested in comments on Marteks.
Heard a few different storys...
"Excellent quality / Work of art"
to....
"Nothing lined up, wouldn't take the specified engine"

Dish the dirt Frankie ;)

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
15-02-2006, 05:49 PM
quote:And I can't see why a Spondon would cost $30k. I've got 10.5k for the frame and swinger...but I can't see the motor/electrics/frontend/wheels/painting etc costing another 20k...
What have I missed?

Depends what standard you build too.
You dont NEED Ohlins / WP / Carrillo / Carbon / Magnesium /
everything... I think its a case of where you draw the line.
A $20/$25,000 build could easy be a $30/$40,000 if you want silly
power or think that famous names are a "must have".
Its back to personal taste,
Some want the best of everything, at any cost.
Some want a real-world useable bike thats different.
I have seen folk get carried away and the original budget soon go's
out the window. Easy done.

Be interested in comments on Marteks.
Heard a few different storys...
"Excellent quality / Work of art"
to....
"Nothing lined up, wouldn't take the specified engine"

Dish the dirt Frankie ;)

Tony.J.

loosebruce
15-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Met a bloke on a Harley the other day, got talking told me he had spent another 20 grand, over the purchase price to get it where he wanted it.
To me it still looked like a Harley (with nice mirrors and paint).
Point being, dude still loved his bike and reckoned he got value for money.
Things would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same things.

loosebruce
15-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Met a bloke on a Harley the other day, got talking told me he had spent another 20 grand, over the purchase price to get it where he wanted it.
To me it still looked like a Harley (with nice mirrors and paint).
Point being, dude still loved his bike and reckoned he got value for money.
Things would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same things.

Frankie
16-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi lads,
what can I say? I agree to everyone of you.....
..and Gix, I am with you on the topic of the ASF expansion as well.

Hey large, here my bill:
There are some xtra costs like $1.200 Import duty. The Engineer has to be payed (about $600). I had welds and the tank certified. There will be more costs like that. Stamp duty, I have to get the bike licensed; and over the pits I have to go as well. You see, not all of the money goes directly onto the bike. I do not know yet, but maybe $2.500 or 3.000 are going towards the authoritys. One spends about $5.000 on the engine, another 2.500 on the front end. All sec. hand. Beeing a single sider, you need the wheel to match, $ 1.500 for a Marvic wheel. There is 20 grand already, incl. the frame! A exhaust system has to be knocked up. Than the seat, fairing brackets to be made ect. ect. And some paint. The wiring loom will be heavely modified (space issue). A substancial amount will go for labour costs. I can't do everything myself...
Thats what I meant. If one has a donor bike, you would be better off.
I could of got an TL from the auctions for $3.500 or $4.000, which has got all the things I need. Get a frame with normal swing arm between $7.000- 9.000 and off you go. Few bits and pieces- done.
But, I like the GSXR K4 front end....Again, depends what one wants. I am not buying top shelf. And I have to push to stay under 30 grand.
Where would it end? But, $20.000 on a Ha*&^ D@%^$on?? Ya see, I can't understand that either. Yet, this bloke proberly reckons his scooter is the ducks guts...
Like my current numberplate says WATTEVA! Besides, its only money.

To the Marteks: I did a translation for Butze in Germany. Below the english version:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

'm not 100% sure on this but I think the guy who ran Martek was called Mark Walker, hence Mar-tek. He used to work at spondon but left to start his own business doing pretty much the same thing. I think shortly after he left a man called keith at spondon that did the welding also left to go and work for Mark.

After a few years of making frames and stuff they hit financial difficulties and re-opened under the new name of Trick Tubes. This didn't last long and eventually the company folded. I think Keith went back to spondon as a welder ( and a very good one too ).

The last I heard about Mark was he went to work for Castrol h*nda running the engineering workshop in Louth making stuff for Hondas. ( Things like brackets for vanity mirrors and comapartments for handbags etc ).

This is all I know and it may not be exactly right but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to add some more.

Hope this helps. Let us all know when the website's finished.( Spondon-Martek.de)

Well at Fighterama Butze made me compare the welds from a Martek and Spondon and I must agree with him that the ones on the Spondon were much better.

But ofcourse not all frames are welded by the same guy and not taking into account "monday-morning frames"
Steve.

hmm,...SPONDON.

saw only one martek ,it was perfect,but i dont think they made more than twenty chassis,spondon have race pedigree both on roundy race circuits and the drags,not seen a steelhart,sounds nice.spondon do a katana.nuff said

Reply #12 - 11. Nov 2005 at 14:30
Perhaps Martek built a few frames before Spondon weldyman went to work for them. Perhaps he never went there at all and it's all just bullshit. Like I said, not sure if it's true.

I was recently told that the Steelheart guy had packed in making frames for our types of bikes and was concentrating on classics. Now it would appear that might be just hearsay too.

I'm not going to listen to anymore stories from now on.

Weld quality seems to vary from frame to frame on Marteks, thankfully who ever did mine was having a very good day I would love to be able to weld that consistantly.

The Steelheart frames are very nice, there should be one in the next issue of Streetfighters, my mate Gobo's. Also heard the rumour about Lee not doing bike stuff ???

The question about how many Martek frames were made is a good one, I've been asked loads of times, but have no idea anyone know more on that ?

I know there are several different versions, the early ones had a different style front engine mount bar and the tubes appear to be closer together, the subframe mounts also tend to change.

I've been told that the fuel tanks came from Spondon, I've no idea if this is true.

My frame is supposed to be the last one to come from them before the men in suits went in.

Martek frames are fine once you move the engine down about 15 mm so the chain dont cut the swingarm in half. and you get the suspension to work!

ne spirited ride including some 2nd to 4th gear wheelies and i returned home to find my left leg dipped in sparkly polished ali swarf . And no the chain was adjusted correctly.the chain was cutting quite nicely through the underside of the swingarm.Also the lever ratio on the rear end was something approaching 3:1 which as anybody knows is just wrong.So no disrespect intended to any owners or machinery out there but i would not give one garage space. And just to add insult to injury even when pressed only moderately they dont handle like a decently sorted slingshot let alone when really given the berries.P.S.
have done 55sec laps at mallory on 600 on supercorsas so i,m not overly slow.
Wot, guilty as in "it's your bike", or, "it's you on it".

So why was the chain cutting into the swingarm then.

Reply #39 - 28. Dec 2005 at 11:56
dunno,but the engine was remounted lower down and new shock linkage etc when the new ohlins went on,i'm told it was all done by sweary bob (Bob Stevenson, Director of Spondon; note from Frankie)

Reply #48 - 21. Jan 2006 at 10:41
Hi to any one that knows me ,just a few quick lines on this martek thread

Mark walker was the chap that originally set the company up, last heard of at castrol h*nda

then a chap called Alan Wills took over the running as Trick tubes,
Mark welded frames of the early ones compared to Keith who came in from spondon( belived to be at kenny roberts in banbury now )

quality did vary Janner and formally me got a good one (one of the last if not the last) but saying that there was still little engineering faults to be found, sprocket cover needs trimming, engine to frame needs bushing at rear , shock needed offseting to the left so it didnt foul inside the swingingarm and other little bits an bobs.

swinging arm geometry seems to be fireblade based (this was the bike of the time when the kits 1st came into being) they just copied what was already out there, but why put a blackbird ohlins on far to heavily sprung!

tanks did come from spondon as keith had to go over ther and pick um up

handling i thought was ok but now having ridden later made superbikes sorry guys but they are better, if you could shed 20 kgs off the engine it would readdress the balence

but saying that you cant beat um for looks and individuality
and yes Janner i still miss it mine at times
hope this clears up a few points

and if you can get hold of Mark walker i've heard a rumour he may still make to order but word of warning dont pay untill you get a frame
cheers for now
Malc
Might be useful information to some of you.

I found out yesterday, completely by accident, that Bob from Spondon owns a lot of the copyrights to the Martek designs.

So basically if you want a Martek go to Spondon

Reply #57 - 08. Feb 2006 at 20:10
Anyone got any more ideas on how many frames were made?

Theres one in this months Streetfighters for sale and the guy recons 35 were made.

I've so far found 19, anybody else got pics they want to share?

No worries!? This is a tread out of the oldskoolsuzuki forum over in England. To read the whole thread:
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/
This is out of the discussion "trick frames". Who is interested, there is some good stuff in there...

In conclusion, the quality of the Marteks can vary a lot. And you never know what you are getting.... That one commend says it all "if you want a Martek, go to Spondon"!!
In Germany, some Spondon frames are TUV cerified (which means a lot, considering the road authority nazis over there). To get a frame certified, one has to scrape out about $30.000 and a Year of paperwork bullshit. Amongst other things, the frame comes on a jig. Where 100.000 Km are getting simulated. Then, the fatigue of the material gets meassured. Which has to be within specs.
By the way, Spondon frames passed with flying colours!
You would never get a Martek legaly on the road over there. Unless you do the same testing again. And then you still would not know whether the frame will pass!! Remember the welding...
....I had to get my welds on the headstock tested and certified as well. As part of the one- off/ enthusiasts scheme the bike will get licensed. (The emphesis is here on ENTHUSIASTS).

I hope this will explain things.

Did anyone had a look at them PPS/ Rau frames on the two German sites, I pointed out?
I would be interested to know what you think about them. Because there are about half the price of a Spondon frame (much simpler design, easier to fabricate, therefore cheaper).

Frankie

P.S.
I hope you don't mind, me reffering you to German websites/ companys. I think it might be interesting for you to see whats going on in non English speaking countrys....
Thats why... if anyone needs same help in the lingo departement...let me know. Please, no time wasting.

Frankie
16-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi lads,
what can I say? I agree to everyone of you.....
..and Gix, I am with you on the topic of the ASF expansion as well.

Hey large, here my bill:
There are some xtra costs like $1.200 Import duty. The Engineer has to be payed (about $600). I had welds and the tank certified. There will be more costs like that. Stamp duty, I have to get the bike licensed; and over the pits I have to go as well. You see, not all of the money goes directly onto the bike. I do not know yet, but maybe $2.500 or 3.000 are going towards the authoritys. One spends about $5.000 on the engine, another 2.500 on the front end. All sec. hand. Beeing a single sider, you need the wheel to match, $ 1.500 for a Marvic wheel. There is 20 grand already, incl. the frame! A exhaust system has to be knocked up. Than the seat, fairing brackets to be made ect. ect. And some paint. The wiring loom will be heavely modified (space issue). A substancial amount will go for labour costs. I can't do everything myself...
Thats what I meant. If one has a donor bike, you would be better off.
I could of got an TL from the auctions for $3.500 or $4.000, which has got all the things I need. Get a frame with normal swing arm between $7.000- 9.000 and off you go. Few bits and pieces- done.
But, I like the GSXR K4 front end....Again, depends what one wants. I am not buying top shelf. And I have to push to stay under 30 grand.
Where would it end? But, $20.000 on a Ha*&^ D@%^$on?? Ya see, I can't understand that either. Yet, this bloke proberly reckons his scooter is the ducks guts...
Like my current numberplate says WATTEVA! Besides, its only money.

To the Marteks: I did a translation for Butze in Germany. Below the english version:

'm not 100% sure on this but I think the guy who ran Martek was called Mark Walker, hence Mar-tek. He used to work at spondon but left to start his own business doing pretty much the same thing. I think shortly after he left a man called keith at spondon that did the welding also left to go and work for Mark.

After a few years of making frames and stuff they hit financial difficulties and re-opened under the new name of Trick Tubes. This didn't last long and eventually the company folded. I think Keith went back to spondon as a welder ( and a very good one too ).

The last I heard about Mark was he went to work for Castrol h*nda running the engineering workshop in Louth making stuff for Hondas. ( Things like brackets for vanity mirrors and comapartments for handbags etc ).

This is all I know and it may not be exactly right but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to add some more.

Hope this helps. Let us all know when the website's finished.( Spondon-Martek.de)

Well at Fighterama Butze made me compare the welds from a Martek and Spondon and I must agree with him that the ones on the Spondon were much better.

But ofcourse not all frames are welded by the same guy and not taking into account "monday-morning frames"
Steve.

hmm,...SPONDON.

saw only one martek ,it was perfect,but i dont think they made more than twenty chassis,spondon have race pedigree both on roundy race circuits and the drags,not seen a steelhart,sounds nice.spondon do a katana.nuff said

Reply #12 - 11. Nov 2005 at 14:30
Perhaps Martek built a few frames before Spondon weldyman went to work for them. Perhaps he never went there at all and it's all just bullshit. Like I said, not sure if it's true.

I was recently told that the Steelheart guy had packed in making frames for our types of bikes and was concentrating on classics. Now it would appear that might be just hearsay too.

I'm not going to listen to anymore stories from now on.

Weld quality seems to vary from frame to frame on Marteks, thankfully who ever did mine was having a very good day I would love to be able to weld that consistantly.

The Steelheart frames are very nice, there should be one in the next issue of Streetfighters, my mate Gobo's. Also heard the rumour about Lee not doing bike stuff ???

The question about how many Martek frames were made is a good one, I've been asked loads of times, but have no idea anyone know more on that ?

I know there are several different versions, the early ones had a different style front engine mount bar and the tubes appear to be closer together, the subframe mounts also tend to change.

I've been told that the fuel tanks came from Spondon, I've no idea if this is true.

My frame is supposed to be the last one to come from them before the men in suits went in.

Martek frames are fine once you move the engine down about 15 mm so the chain dont cut the swingarm in half. and you get the suspension to work!

ne spirited ride including some 2nd to 4th gear wheelies and i returned home to find my left leg dipped in sparkly polished ali swarf . And no the chain was adjusted correctly.the chain was cutting quite nicely through the underside of the swingarm.Also the lever ratio on the rear end was something approaching 3:1 which as anybody knows is just wrong.So no disrespect intended to any owners or machinery out there but i would not give one garage space. And just to add insult to injury even when pressed only moderately they dont handle like a decently sorted slingshot let alone when really given the berries.P.S.
have done 55sec laps at mallory on 600 on supercorsas so i,m not overly slow.
Wot, guilty as in "it's your bike", or, "it's you on it".

So why was the chain cutting into the swingarm then.

Reply #39 - 28. Dec 2005 at 11:56
dunno,but the engine was remounted lower down and new shock linkage etc when the new ohlins went on,i'm told it was all done by sweary bob (Bob Stevenson, Director of Spondon; note from Frankie)

Reply #48 - 21. Jan 2006 at 10:41
Hi to any one that knows me ,just a few quick lines on this martek thread

Mark walker was the chap that originally set the company up, last heard of at castrol h*nda

then a chap called Alan Wills took over the running as Trick tubes,
Mark welded frames of the early ones compared to Keith who came in from spondon( belived to be at kenny roberts in banbury now )

quality did vary Janner and formally me got a good one (one of the last if not the last) but saying that there was still little engineering faults to be found, sprocket cover needs trimming, engine to frame needs bushing at rear , shock needed offseting to the left so it didnt foul inside the swingingarm and other little bits an bobs.

swinging arm geometry seems to be fireblade based (this was the bike of the time when the kits 1st came into being) they just copied what was already out there, but why put a blackbird ohlins on far to heavily sprung!

tanks did come from spondon as keith had to go over ther and pick um up

handling i thought was ok but now having ridden later made superbikes sorry guys but they are better, if you could shed 20 kgs off the engine it would readdress the balence

but saying that you cant beat um for looks and individuality
and yes Janner i still miss it mine at times
hope this clears up a few points

and if you can get hold of Mark walker i've heard a rumour he may still make to order but word of warning dont pay untill you get a frame
cheers for now
Malc
Might be useful information to some of you.

I found out yesterday, completely by accident, that Bob from Spondon owns a lot of the copyrights to the Martek designs.

So basically if you want a Martek go to Spondon

Reply #57 - 08. Feb 2006 at 20:10
Anyone got any more ideas on how many frames were made?

Theres one in this months Streetfighters for sale and the guy recons 35 were made.

I've so far found 19, anybody else got pics they want to share?

No worries!? This is a tread out of the oldskoolsuzuki forum over in England. To read the whole thread:
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/
This is out of the discussion "trick frames". Who is interested, there is some good stuff in there...

In conclusion, the quality of the Marteks can vary a lot. And you never know what you are getting.... That one commend says it all "if you want a Martek, go to Spondon"!!
In Germany, some Spondon frames are TUV cerified (which means a lot, considering the road authority nazis over there). To get a frame certified, one has to scrape out about $30.000 and a Year of paperwork bullshit. Amongst other things, the frame comes on a jig. Where 100.000 Km are getting simulated. Then, the fatigue of the material gets meassured. Which has to be within specs.
By the way, Spondon frames passed with flying colours!
You would never get a Martek legaly on the road over there. Unless you do the same testing again. And then you still would not know whether the frame will pass!! Remember the welding...
....I had to get my welds on the headstock tested and certified as well. As part of the one- off/ enthusiasts scheme the bike will get licensed. (The emphesis is here on ENTHUSIASTS).

I hope this will explain things.

Did anyone had a look at them PPS/ Rau frames on the two German sites, I pointed out?
I would be interested to know what you think about them. Because there are about half the price of a Spondon frame (much simpler design, easier to fabricate, therefore cheaper).

Frankie

P.S.
I hope you don't mind, me reffering you to German websites/ companys. I think it might be interesting for you to see whats going on in non English speaking countrys....
Thats why... if anyone needs same help in the lingo departement...let me know. Please, no time wasting.

speeddemon
17-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Like the feedback - my two cents though-

I call a ducati 998 a waste of money so its all perspective and $$. Others think 'why bother' about what I do. - all perspective

Personally, when you can build a spondon up for the price of a new GSXR I would rather take the Spondon thanks. (actually Harris frames are a bit cheaper).

Look arent we all here because we like things that are not the norm, and cause the factory fucks bikes up so we are never happy with one?

I think the funnier thing is that the relm of streetfighters is rapidly becomming the norm - look at all the spondons overseas.

Reminds me of when I had my motard and had heaps of trouble sourcing my wheels (at the time there were only 2 other people in syd with motards) - now every fucker rides one or a streetfighter. Pofters in shorts and sneakers on new R1's etc are another thing! Now Im going off on a tangent so ill shut up..

speeddemon
17-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Like the feedback - my two cents though-

I call a ducati 998 a waste of money so its all perspective and $$. Others think 'why bother' about what I do. - all perspective

Personally, when you can build a spondon up for the price of a new GSXR I would rather take the Spondon thanks. (actually Harris frames are a bit cheaper).

Look arent we all here because we like things that are not the norm, and cause the factory fucks bikes up so we are never happy with one?

I think the funnier thing is that the relm of streetfighters is rapidly becomming the norm - look at all the spondons overseas.

Reminds me of when I had my motard and had heaps of trouble sourcing my wheels (at the time there were only 2 other people in syd with motards) - now every fucker rides one or a streetfighter. Pofters in shorts and sneakers on new R1's etc are another thing! Now Im going off on a tangent so ill shut up..

cammy9r
17-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the links Frankie, now i know what they are. Still think they look better than spondons. A little off this topic but Frankie is right about the German sites and probably most euro sites, even if you don't understand you can still look at the pics and get some ideas. We seem to be building fast naked street bikes not gp race bikes so a pedigree race frame for us is nothing more than a bit of bling. Just a thought. But as always each to their own. ;)

cammy9r
17-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the links Frankie, now i know what they are. Still think they look better than spondons. A little off this topic but Frankie is right about the German sites and probably most euro sites, even if you don't understand you can still look at the pics and get some ideas. We seem to be building fast naked street bikes not gp race bikes so a pedigree race frame for us is nothing more than a bit of bling. Just a thought. But as always each to their own. ;)

17-02-2006, 12:26 PM
You're a fucken wordy bastard ain't ya Frankie :)

Thanks for all that...............and welcome

17-02-2006, 12:26 PM
You're a fucken wordy bastard ain't ya Frankie :)

Thanks for all that...............and welcome

Frankie
17-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeay Fellows, too right!
The norm, mmh... I reckon, a bike rider is by far not a REAL bike rider just because he/ she owns the latest and greatest. Honestly, I've more respect for someone who gets around of a bucket of shite, because he can't afford anything else. But is keen as mustard to ride as much as he can. Than a bloke (chick) ( do we have any female fighters in this forum?) who goes to the next cafe only on Friday night. Ya see a Streetfighter is not necessary a REAL Streetfighter. To me at least, there are a big differences.
One has to walk the walk and not talk the talk.....

Yep, we are not racing.... that's why I can't get the Mags, always having this racetrack shootouts. It's all propaganda. Tossers.

Wordy bastard?! Only if I care about something. Besides, me only tourist.

Well, you lot have a great weekend. Disturb the peace!

Frankie

P.S. Offcourse, I am only explaining not justifying.....

Frankie
17-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeay Fellows, too right!
The norm, mmh... I reckon, a bike rider is by far not a REAL bike rider just because he/ she owns the latest and greatest. Honestly, I've more respect for someone who gets around of a bucket of shite, because he can't afford anything else. But is keen as mustard to ride as much as he can. Than a bloke (chick) ( do we have any female fighters in this forum?) who goes to the next cafe only on Friday night. Ya see a Streetfighter is not necessary a REAL Streetfighter. To me at least, there are a big differences.
One has to walk the walk and not talk the talk.....

Yep, we are not racing.... that's why I can't get the Mags, always having this racetrack shootouts. It's all propaganda. Tossers.

Wordy bastard?! Only if I care about something. Besides, me only tourist.

Well, you lot have a great weekend. Disturb the peace!

Frankie

P.S. Offcourse, I am only explaining not justifying.....

stevo
17-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Being in the bike scene for many years now and having a background in BMX and Mountain bikes .... I understand the need ta make your bike your own...

Personally I have no issue with what anyone wants to do ... so long as the overall package flows and fits well together.....

That can be a modded race bike a harley custom or a streetfighter .. we are all in the same boat, just lookin at it from different perspectives .. and to diss someone else for their choice of how they wish to spend money is OK ... so long as you can take everyone else dissin you for your choice of ride... and remember all the cage drivers don't know the difference... we're all the same to them

If I had the $$$ I'd have a Spondon ... to sit in the stable next to the rest of my toys but in that stable would be another Duc and my sporty and my trumpys and my dirt bikes and my drag bikes and and and and and....... and I had a look at that MV Brutale yesterday ...I think I'd like one or two of them too

I'm gonna make a swingarm for my cafe sporty with an eccentric adjuster similar to the JMC's .... why??? because I want one and I have the ability to make and not the $$$$$ to buy it .... pretty well the reason most of us have the bikes we have... and maybe not all the ones we'd like

Isn't that what streetfighterin is all about?????

Makin YOUR bike to YOUR taste and fuck everyone else ....

I don't build MY personal bikes for anyone else... but I get no shortage of people wantin one like 'em when I'm done :D

stevo
17-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Being in the bike scene for many years now and having a background in BMX and Mountain bikes .... I understand the need ta make your bike your own...

Personally I have no issue with what anyone wants to do ... so long as the overall package flows and fits well together.....

That can be a modded race bike a harley custom or a streetfighter .. we are all in the same boat, just lookin at it from different perspectives .. and to diss someone else for their choice of how they wish to spend money is OK ... so long as you can take everyone else dissin you for your choice of ride... and remember all the cage drivers don't know the difference... we're all the same to them

If I had the $$$ I'd have a Spondon ... to sit in the stable next to the rest of my toys but in that stable would be another Duc and my sporty and my trumpys and my dirt bikes and my drag bikes and and and and and....... and I had a look at that MV Brutale yesterday ...I think I'd like one or two of them too

I'm gonna make a swingarm for my cafe sporty with an eccentric adjuster similar to the JMC's .... why??? because I want one and I have the ability to make and not the $$$$$ to buy it .... pretty well the reason most of us have the bikes we have... and maybe not all the ones we'd like

I don't build MY personal bikes for anyone else... but I get no shortage of people wantin one like 'em when I'm done :D

Tony Nitrous
17-02-2006, 05:34 PM
quote: We seem to be building fast naked street bikes not gp race bikes so a pedigree race frame for us is nothing more than a bit of bling.

I could argue that its still a bloody good sign that the
bloke putting it together knows his stuff though ;)

Tony Nitrous
17-02-2006, 05:34 PM
quote: We seem to be building fast naked street bikes not gp race bikes so a pedigree race frame for us is nothing more than a bit of bling.

I could argue that its still a bloody good sign that the
bloke putting it together knows his stuff though ;)

18-02-2006, 06:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by stevo

Aaaah that'll explain why you like Humpty's so much, they're still at the "1 knackered pushy rider" power output level [}:)]

That's just soooo nice, you vote Democrat too don't you[8)]

And I thought they was having a go, perhaps I shouldn't have slapped that chick for asking me if I rode a Humpty :D

Along with yer pretty purse, handbag and dayglo chaps, eh bloke ;)

Call me a tight ass but I actually prefer the cheap old Jap 4's that I ride (I wonder if I can get Spondon to make a replica of the original GPz9 frame ? hmmmm?) [:o)]

Damn I thought it was all about being an abnoxious ass [:I]

I like the last point [:p]

Sound just like the Humpty attitude, don't matter what shit they build people still want'em. Go you little 1%er you. [8D]

Sorry Stevo, but I just had to do it, woke up in a good mood for a change, and well.................. :D[}:)]:D:D:D[8D]

18-02-2006, 06:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by stevo

Aaaah that'll explain why you like Humpty's so much, they're still at the "1 knackered pushy rider" power output level [}:)]

That's just soooo nice, you vote Democrat too don't you[8)]

And I thought they was having a go, perhaps I shouldn't have slapped that chick for asking me if I rode a Humpty :D

Along with yer pretty purse, handbag and dayglo chaps, eh bloke ;)

Call me a tight ass but I actually prefer the cheap old Jap 4's that I ride (I wonder if I can get Spondon to make a replica of the original GPz9 frame ? hmmmm?) [:o)]

Damn I thought it was all about being an abnoxious ass [:I]

I like the last point [:p]

Sound just like the Humpty attitude, don't matter what shit they build people still want'em. Go you little 1%er you. [8D]

Sorry Stevo, but I just had to do it, woke up in a good mood for a change, and well.................. :D[}:)]:D:D:D[8D]

stevo
18-02-2006, 10:40 AM
:D:D:D[8D]

good to see someone takes the time to read my posts

[8D][8D]

the funny thing is I havn't had the sporty on the road for a few years now...stripped it for a freshen up/rebirth and got sidetracked with too many other toys and not enough time to get it goin... been riding Ducatis and Gixxers

and with my first VF1000 ... the best I got out of it was 11.69 @119 .... the sporty I've had 11.81@ 114 and it's goin bigger cubes to go quicker... which ain't bad for a "pushbike" [:p]

So Chalky ... it's probably quicker than yours anyway ;)

ya got any time cards?? [:I]

stevo
18-02-2006, 10:40 AM
:D:D:D[8D]

good to see someone takes the time to read my posts

[8D][8D]

the funny thing is I havn't had the sporty on the road for a few years now...stripped it for a freshen up/rebirth and got sidetracked with too many other toys and not enough time to get it goin... been riding Ducatis and Gixxers

and with my first VF1000 ... the best I got out of it was 11.69 @119 .... the sporty I've had 11.81@ 114 and it's goin bigger cubes to go quicker... which ain't bad for a "pushbike" [:p]

So Chalky ... it's probably quicker than yours anyway ;)

ya got any time cards?? [:I]

18-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Nup no time cards [B)] ya got me. I'm not a ticketed launch meister ;)

They've been promising us a drag strip for 10 years or more, still the nearest ones 300 k's away. [V]

But the GPz is still one of the quickest bikes off the line stock,[:p] so our times would be similar. But I much prefer to race to the coast, than down a 400 mtr straight line.

PS does anyone know where to get Accel/dynacoils these days, and what they're asking for'em? One of my leads has died so I thought I might as well do the lot, unless someone knows of aftermarket leads for the Kwaka's (If the dealer's have to order them in, then I'm ordering them from someone else:()

18-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Nup no time cards [B)] ya got me. I'm not a ticketed launch meister ;)

They've been promising us a drag strip for 10 years or more, still the nearest ones 300 k's away. [V]

But the GPz is still one of the quickest bikes off the line stock,[:p] so our times would be similar. But I much prefer to race to the coast, than down a 400 mtr straight line.

PS does anyone know where to get Accel/dynacoils these days, and what they're asking for'em? One of my leads has died so I thought I might as well do the lot, unless someone knows of aftermarket leads for the Kwaka's (If the dealer's have to order them in, then I'm ordering them from someone else:()

Tony Nitrous
18-02-2006, 01:50 PM
quote:PS does anyone know where to get Accel/dynacoils these days, and what they're asking for'em? One of my leads has died so I thought I might as well do the lot, unless someone knows of aftermarket leads for the Kwaka's (If the dealer's have to order them in, then I'm ordering them from someone else:()

I've use "TAYLOR" leads and caps a couple of times in UK.
Seem like quality kit. Recommended. Not sure where you would
look in Oz though.

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
18-02-2006, 01:50 PM
quote:PS does anyone know where to get Accel/dynacoils these days, and what they're asking for'em? One of my leads has died so I thought I might as well do the lot, unless someone knows of aftermarket leads for the Kwaka's (If the dealer's have to order them in, then I'm ordering them from someone else:()

I've use "TAYLOR" leads and caps a couple of times in UK.
Seem like quality kit. Recommended. Not sure where you would
look in Oz though.

Tony.J.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Well I guess it's about time I entered the fray seeing as I am one of the few that actually owns a Spondon :D
Are they a waste of money ? Absolutely....if you cannot appreciate what it is you are getting for your hard earned money. You are buying a handmade often one off frame built by a true craftsman, it cannot in any way be compared to a factory made frame, they are chalk and cheese. Spondon engineering have a reputation that has taken many years to get and although I have heard that a history of building race winning frames means nothing it gives real piece of mind knowing the man that built your frame can throw together a frame capable of winning races :)
When you see a Spondon frame up close you begin to understand why we make the choice to buy their product, I have yet to see their quality equalled let alone beaten, I have a Harris as well so I have seen the 'competition'.
Martek didn't last because they weren't able to deliver what they promised, they were to be a viable alternative and quality wise they were certainly up there but they couldn't deliver and as they were starting from scratch as far as reputation goes people quite rightly often chose to go the Spondon route.
Is a Spondon a waste of money ? They are worth every cent.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Well I guess it's about time I entered the fray seeing as I am one of the few that actually owns a Spondon :D
Are they a waste of money ? Absolutely....if you cannot appreciate what it is you are getting for your hard earned money. You are buying a handmade often one off frame built by a true craftsman, it cannot in any way be compared to a factory made frame, they are chalk and cheese. Spondon engineering have a reputation that has taken many years to get and although I have heard that a history of building race winning frames means nothing it gives real piece of mind knowing the man that built your frame can throw together a frame capable of winning races :)
When you see a Spondon frame up close you begin to understand why we make the choice to buy their product, I have yet to see their quality equalled let alone beaten, I have a Harris as well so I have seen the 'competition'.
Martek didn't last because they weren't able to deliver what they promised, they were to be a viable alternative and quality wise they were certainly up there but they couldn't deliver and as they were starting from scratch as far as reputation goes people quite rightly often chose to go the Spondon route.
Is a Spondon a waste of money ? They are worth every cent.

19-02-2006, 08:25 PM
How bout a foto of that Harris Ash,i have a Johnson but i doubt anyone wants to see it.

19-02-2006, 08:25 PM
How bout a foto of that Harris Ash,i have a Johnson but i doubt anyone wants to see it.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 08:35 PM
A Johnson ?

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 08:35 PM
A Johnson ?

ozkat
19-02-2006, 08:50 PM
So Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Benelli, Ducati, Buell, MV and KTM have got it all wrong after spending millions on R&D and sweary Bob gets it right after spending a few thousand pounds? Yeah right. Spondons/Harris/Martek/Steelheart are for looks only compared to the current model frames, im sure they do make better frames today than were avalible 10 years ago but they dont make better frames than you can buy with current model bikes. But maybe Suzuki, Honda etc have got it all wrong, i doubt it tho.

ozkat
19-02-2006, 08:50 PM
So Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Benelli, Ducati, Buell, MV and KTM have got it all wrong after spending millions on R&D and sweary Bob gets it right after spending a few thousand pounds? Yeah right. Spondons/Harris/Martek/Steelheart are for looks only compared to the current model frames, im sure they do make better frames today than were avalible 10 years ago but they dont make better frames than you can buy with current model bikes. But maybe Suzuki, Honda etc have got it all wrong, i doubt it tho.

Frankie
19-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Goodonya Ash, I needed some support...

Davo, offcourse I'd like to see that!!

Ozkat, you still don't get it....
And a 7/ 11 is a better handling bike than a Spondon!? See, I did'nt know that....

Frankie

Frankie
19-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Goodonya Ash, I needed some support...

Davo, offcourse I'd like to see that!!

Ozkat, you still don't get it....
And a 7/ 11 is a better handling bike than a Spondon!? See, I did'nt know that....

Frankie

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Ash how about bringing that Spondon out some day, maybe to the April fools run?

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Ash how about bringing that Spondon out some day, maybe to the April fools run?

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Frankie, no worries, we are a minority. :D

Ozkat, it's not a problem, you don't believe, that's fine.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Frankie, no worries, we are a minority. :D

Ozkat, it's not a problem, you don't believe, that's fine.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Ozkat, yeah it will be out and about again, when I don't know. Only my neurosurgeon knows when that will be and he doesn't seem very keen to tell me.

Spondonash
Ozkat, yeah it will be out and about again, when I don't know. Only my neurosurgeon knows when that will be and he doesn't seem very keen to tell me.

ozkat
Frankie what does a 7/11 have to do with it?

ozkat
Frankie what does a 7/11 have to do with it?

Frankie
19-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Have'nt you had one?? I had a look in "Your Ride" and I've seen your stolen 7/ 11...?

Frankie
19-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Have'nt you had one?? I had a look in "Your Ride" and I've seen your stolen 7/ 11...?

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah it was stolen, i dont think i ever said it handled better than a spondon.

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah it was stolen, i dont think i ever said it handled better than a spondon.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Well it would have been false advertising if you had :D

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Well it would have been false advertising if you had :D

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Ozkat, I didn't have the pencil icon up as I hadn't logged in.

Spondonash
19-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Ozkat, I didn't have the pencil icon up as I hadn't logged in.

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:27 PM
done it for you, and yes you can edit just go to the pencil icon.

ozkat
19-02-2006, 09:27 PM
done it for you, and yes you can edit just go to the pencil icon.

Frankie
19-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Ozkat,
No you did'nt. It was a misinerpretation from me site. And, I got a bit carried away. Sorry!

@Ash, yeah you're right. I'll relax.... and enjoy :)

Frankie

Frankie
19-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Ozkat,
No you did'nt. It was a misinerpretation from me site. And, I got a bit carried away. Sorry!

@Ash, yeah you're right. I'll relax.... and enjoy :)

Frankie