PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Damage?

Seifer
23-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, as some of u may or may not know i'm currently in the midle of replacing a few gears and boring out the cylinders. Today I tunder over the cylinder block to see on [u]one</u> of the cylinders there is a bit of it missing. Now its perfectly symetrical and doesnt appear to have been caused by being dropped etc...I havent dropped it anyway an I think this is the first time its been taken apart, but isthis likely to cause any problems? its right at the bottom of the cylinder guide and I can't imagine the pistons going this low. Any ideas?
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C04%5C23%5Cbikepics-873883-full.jpg
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C04%5C23%5Cbikepics-873886-full.jpg
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C04%5C23%5Cbikepics-873889-full.jpg

sharky
23-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd be more worried as to where the missing 'bit' is.[:0]

zx12argh
23-04-2007, 11:08 PM
What sort of bike mate? I know some late model bikes have a ferrous coating over the aluminium sleeves to assist as a solid lubricant. You end up getting a shitty looking bore but has no overall impact on the performance of the engine...

I couldn't tell you for looking at a bore whether its good or bad - I'll leave that to one of our resident spanner twisters...

EDIT - Oh shit - I just saw the huge fucking chunk taken out of your cylinder wall. Yeah - I'd be looking around for that piece... maybe you can glue it back in with PVA [:p]

Seifer
23-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Well shes stripped down and i couldnt find metal in excess of whats missing. I'm thinking this may be a reason for my low compression on that cylinder. So is a resleeving required then if that aint normal?

Seifer
23-04-2007, 11:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

What sort of bike mate? I know some late model bikes have a ferrous coating over the aluminium sleeves to assist as a solid lubricant. You end up getting a shitty looking bore but has no overall impact on the performance of the engine...

I couldn't tell you for looking at a bore whether its good or bad - I'll leave that to one of our resident spanner twisters...

EDIT - Oh shit - I just saw the huge fucking chunk taken out of your cylinder wall. Yeah - I'd be looking around for that piece... maybe you can glue it back in with PVA [:p]

Hehe, yeah i thought u missed something.

23-04-2007, 11:12 PM
That lip there is for assisting in fitting the piston and rings into the cylinder, and to ensure there's no 'lip' to scratch the piston side. As long as th re-bore doesn't get too lose to that it should be OK. Where's the rest of it? didn't find any bits in the bottom of the motor. If not then it was probably done by a previous owner.

Seifer
23-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Well there is a lot missing and all i found was the odd tiny chip. Could be a previous owner I guess. I'll see what the guy doing my rebore has to say. Does anyone have any contacts for a cheap machinist to do this by the way?

alfiestorm
24-04-2007, 03:27 AM
What you have there Scott is a perfectly good cylinder. It is number three cylinder with the chunk missing as mr suzuki intended it to be.
I have seen this on several sets of cylinders and questioned the Suzuki importers on it years ago and it is for clearence purposes something to do with crank lobes and clutch drive.

So no need to shit yer self

sharky
24-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Ah ha...quality suzuki engineering......:D
'Well it nearly fits...whack wiv an 'ammer that'll fix it !!' [:0]

Seifer
24-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Ah! So it is normal, I thought it looked a little top well rounded to have been broken off. Thanks alfie, hey when do u arrive btw?

24-04-2007, 08:03 AM
If ya is boreing it to take new pistons(thats the bit i`d be looking at)It dont matter;)That part of the "skirt" does not taake load:DAsk ya gingerbeer to give it a champher[:o)]all good[^]Or you could just buy my already smik engine at $3000[^]

Booster
24-04-2007, 08:43 AM
You can remove lots in that area without probs, this is my race bike block , trying to improve windage between cyls

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/57069308662936.jpg

24-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Very nice;)but dont get me started or I`ll never get this build done;)

Gix11
24-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Greg, is that your kitchen bench? (Eggs and all?) You don't mess about do you mate.

Booster
24-04-2007, 04:20 PM
The carton has my cam followers nicely in order ;)
I won't show a pic of my bench atm looks like a swap meet after a cyclone [:I]

alfiestorm
24-04-2007, 07:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Ah! So it is normal, I thought it looked a little top well rounded to have been broken off. Thanks alfie, hey when do u arrive btw?

I was supposed to be arriving in Adelaide around the 20th of April but my house sale red tape crap is taking longer than it should so it will not be until some time in May that I will arrive in Adelaide.

Sharky
I will have you know that was a highly technical modification it took a lot of math's formulas to make the robot swing the hammer at the correct speed and angle.
oh it no fit fuc it wak it wi the ammer :D