PDA

View Full Version : dyna coils ??? I'm no einstein, help needed.

gixkat
20-04-2007, 11:09 AM
hey fellas, Can anyone tell me if you can use the dyna dc9-2 coil with the four leads, instead of two dc9-1 coils therefore only having to mount the one coil. Is this possible??
cheers, Gixkat.

hmmmnz
21-04-2007, 05:54 PM
umm im not sure what those coils are exactly, but a coil is essentially a transformer changing the meager 12v up to somewhere around 10000volts
the only difference between coils is the primary and secondary resistance. ok got that :D
what you need to know mainly is what is the primary resistance on your coils now, and what is the resistance of your new coil,
if its too different you could easily end up burning out your cdi.
so get your fluke meter out and have a measure..
good luck
hmmmnz

21-04-2007, 07:19 PM
You have confused me,not easy:DWot bike[?]Wot colour coil[?]

gixkat
21-04-2007, 11:14 PM
okay, i have a chance to buy a dyna super pro 4000, now for a 86 gsxr 1100 the dyna site says you need the blue coils (dc9-1) but the bloke selling the unit reckons the dc9-2 coil he has with the unit will do the job. www.dynaonline.com doesn't really explain whether i can use it either.
and i dont want to pay out for a coil i cant use, fuck knows this bike will cost me enuff as it is!
I appreciate any help you blokes can give .
cheers, gixkat.

23-04-2007, 07:16 AM
In my opinion you can use both;)The 2`s are grey in culla & have a lower resistence thus noy holding so much charge back.The point is that the sender needs to talk to the coil in the same languge,you shood be fine[8D]

gixkat
23-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks Mad, the prick off loaded it in the meantime,but at least now i'm armed with info to make a quick decision, I was tossing up between Dyna and MSD, I think i prefer the dyna.
Cheers, gixkat.