PDA

View Full Version : importing parts/bikes

Deano
03-11-2005, 12:48 PM
There is a guy that has just moved his business into our street.
He is an importer of cars, boats and motorcycles from the usa

I called into see him and he can basically get whatever you want weather it be a motor or a complete parts bike or subframes etc.

he has spent the last 12 years in NZ were he had 3 bike shops selling Suzuki, honda and kwaka so he knows bikes.

he has been doing mostly 2000 and onwards bikes but can put the feelers out for older gear. He says that it is harder to get the older gsxr in the states compared to Japan.

He was saying that as an example he can bring in 02,03 gsxr1000 motors in sigle for about $1000 or if he buys 5 he gets them for about $400 each US dollars. He brought in just recently a 98 GSXR1100 from NZ, it needed tryes and a service and he paid $2500 for it. All plus shipping of coarse.

he is always looking for container fillers so if you need something let me know and i will ask for you.

If you want to get gear from different places in the states he also offers a freight forwarding service so you send your packages to his office in LA and it can go in his next container.

On average his containers take 18 days from the time they leave the US to getting to the Melbourne docks.

once again let me know if there is something you need and i will get a list together and he will fax it off to the US suppliers/wreckers and quote it up.

On average the

Gix11
03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
On average the ........ what?

Gix11
03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
On average the ........ what?

Deano
03-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Just trying to repeat myself

Deano
03-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Just trying to repeat myself

ozkat
03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
you cannot bring a motorcycle, car or truck into australia unless its older than than 15 years or has no official importer. to bring a bike less than 15 years old you must have owned it for at least 12 months and lived in the country where the bike was registered at the same time. if you do attempt to bring a bike into australia that was made after 1989 customs will destroy it. no ifs no buts.... it will happen. the law is here to protect importers currntly bringing in the same brand to australia even if they dont bring in the same model.

ozkat
03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
you cannot bring a motorcycle, car or truck into australia unless its older than than 15 years or has no official importer. to bring a bike less than 15 years old you must have owned it for at least 12 months and lived in the country where the bike was registered at the same time. if you do attempt to bring a bike into australia that was made after 1989 customs will destroy it. no ifs no buts.... it will happen. the law is here to protect importers currntly bringing in the same brand to australia even if they dont bring in the same model.

Gix11
03-11-2005, 08:56 PM
How do you know all that mate? Have you had the sharp end of that experience?

Gix11
03-11-2005, 08:56 PM
How do you know all that mate? Have you had the sharp end of that experience?

ozkat
03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
i didnt get burned but came close. do your homework first if your considering importing anything. ring customs before you do anything, they would have to be the most helpful gov dept i have ever had anything to do with. engines are ok to import but as soon as you start dealing with frames, wheels, etc be very careful. because if you get it wrong customs will cut it up into very small peices. i only deal with 1 bike importer up here in QLD and he will supply aust.compliance with the bike. ofcourse you can import bikes for racing only of any vintage but it had better not have anything that looks like it could ever be put back on the road. anything pre 1990 your safe.

ozkat
03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
i didnt get burned but came close. do your homework first if your considering importing anything. ring customs before you do anything, they would have to be the most helpful gov dept i have ever had anything to do with. engines are ok to import but as soon as you start dealing with frames, wheels, etc be very careful. because if you get it wrong customs will cut it up into very small peices. i only deal with 1 bike importer up here in QLD and he will supply aust.compliance with the bike. ofcourse you can import bikes for racing only of any vintage but it had better not have anything that looks like it could ever be put back on the road. anything pre 1990 your safe.

Deano
04-11-2005, 09:45 AM
I heard a similar thing aswell.

I will find out how this guy does it

It must be able to be done as he has been doing it for a fair while and has a bucket load of containers rocking up soon

Deano
04-11-2005, 09:45 AM
I heard a similar thing aswell.

I will find out how this guy does it

It must be able to be done as he has been doing it for a fair while and has a bucket load of containers rocking up soon

Deano
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
The way it works is

you find and purchase the bike you want to import in the state.

you get the relevant info from the bike and fill out an application for import form and send it to camberra. they approve the application and you them import the item with there blessing.

people get unstuck when the just throw the item in a container and when it gets to the docks it they don;t have permission to import the item so they then seize it.

to import these sorts of items you need an import liceince which this guy has.

if you go through the right channels you can import and register anything.

the application take about 17days to get approved

before you apply for permission to import the item you must own the item, but not for any particular amount of time.

if you are importing something 15yrs or older then it attracts either no or very little import duty.

i hope this clears things up a bit

Deano
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
The way it works is

you find and purchase the bike you want to import in the state.

you get the relevant info from the bike and fill out an application for import form and send it to camberra. they approve the application and you them import the item with there blessing.

people get unstuck when the just throw the item in a container and when it gets to the docks it they don;t have permission to import the item so they then seize it.

to import these sorts of items you need an import liceince which this guy has.

if you go through the right channels you can import and register anything.

the application take about 17days to get approved

before you apply for permission to import the item you must own the item, but not for any particular amount of time.

if you are importing something 15yrs or older then it attracts either no or very little import duty.

i hope this clears things up a bit

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

A while back I pointed out the prices of Harris's and Spondon,
2nd hand in the UK, and this is just what I was told. Although im not sure if you pulled it to bits and bought it in as parts that its the same ?

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

A while back I pointed out the prices of Harris's and Spondon,
2nd hand in the UK, and this is just what I was told. Although im not sure if you pulled it to bits and bought it in as parts that its the same ?

Tony.J.

Deano
04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
i asked the guy about bring in a 04 GSXR1000 with cosmetic damage and he said that it would not be a problem. He buys from a massive company that most of the insurance companies clear the stock through.

the process would be - he would fax the US with my requirement and they will then offer him bikes that fit the description and the price for each. They will also supply photos and a description of the damage aswell as a clear title for the motor and frame numbers.

i would then let him know what one i am intrested in and then the guy that works for him in the states has a good look at it, makes sure it runs and all the main parts i require are in tact. We would agree on a price and then they purchase it on my behalf ship it to the LA factory dismantle the bike and then ship it.

He was saying that if you are chasing a bike to use as a wreck/donor then you bring it in already dismantled as you don't pay as much or no duty on it.

If you bring it in dismantled and the title on the frame and motor are clear then you can reuse/register both parts but it will have to be complianced here in Aust.

but you are right Tony the Spondons are bloody cheap in the UK should ask him about that.

Deano
04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
i asked the guy about bring in a 04 GSXR1000 with cosmetic damage and he said that it would not be a problem. He buys from a massive company that most of the insurance companies clear the stock through.

the process would be - he would fax the US with my requirement and they will then offer him bikes that fit the description and the price for each. They will also supply photos and a description of the damage aswell as a clear title for the motor and frame numbers.

i would then let him know what one i am intrested in and then the guy that works for him in the states has a good look at it, makes sure it runs and all the main parts i require are in tact. We would agree on a price and then they purchase it on my behalf ship it to the LA factory dismantle the bike and then ship it.

He was saying that if you are chasing a bike to use as a wreck/donor then you bring it in already dismantled as you don't pay as much or no duty on it.

If you bring it in dismantled and the title on the frame and motor are clear then you can reuse/register both parts but it will have to be complianced here in Aust.

but you are right Tony the Spondons are bloody cheap in the UK should ask him about that.

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I would suggest a container load of cheap Busa's from the US sent to Queensland, 'cos the 2nd hand price up here is silly,

and a Container full of Spondons / Harris / Martek's from the UK for everyone to fight over ;)

Im off back to the UK early next year (family visit and parts shopping ;)) but everytime i mention shipping a bike back all i hear is No's / cant / wont be able :(

Tony.J.

Tony Nitrous
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I would suggest a container load of cheap Busa's from the US sent to Queensland, 'cos the 2nd hand price up here is silly,

and a Container full of Spondons / Harris / Martek's from the UK for everyone to fight over ;)

Im off back to the UK early next year (family visit and parts shopping ;)) but everytime i mention shipping a bike back all i hear is No's / cant / wont be able :(

Tony.J.

04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
dont be scared Tony,give it a go mate. My uncle brings in a "new beamer" every 2 years,has done since 92.he doesn't dismantle anything but declares it every time.He's no licensed importer either(but he does fly the plane).He rides it outa Bavaria into sum other country then all is sweet.
as for other shit,i have a wrecker up here who brings in 2 containers of used near new trail bikes every 6 weeks,all complete bikes from Japan.but he is licensed to import for the second hand wholesale market
another mate in Sydney receives same shit from Japan with no problems,but his brother lives there and sends it to him (as a gift).maybe a difference between importing from Aus an exporting from Japan,i'm no expert but i know its happening,every day.surely ya can import a Spondon an declare it as art.look kinda sexy hangin above the mantle piece.;)
speak to my uncle in 2 weeks so i'll find out more about UK imports then.

04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
dont be scared Tony,give it a go mate. My uncle brings in a "new beamer" every 2 years,has done since 92.he doesn't dismantle anything but declares it every time.He's no licensed importer either(but he does fly the plane).He rides it outa Bavaria into sum other country then all is sweet.
as for other shit,i have a wrecker up here who brings in 2 containers of used near new trail bikes every 6 weeks,all complete bikes from Japan.but he is licensed to import for the second hand wholesale market
another mate in Sydney receives same shit from Japan with no problems,but his brother lives there and sends it to him (as a gift).maybe a difference between importing from Aus an exporting from Japan,i'm no expert but i know its happening,every day.surely ya can import a Spondon an declare it as art.look kinda sexy hangin above the mantle piece.;)
speak to my uncle in 2 weeks so i'll find out more about UK imports then.

chopaweeza
04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Kat is spot on. If a model is marketed here then there is a 15 years moritorium on it. There are some sort of exceptions. New BMW's are one-Thats because the importation is officially approved by BMW Australia and as such it is not in breach of the regulations as it has BMW's little rubber stamp on it. Grey Imports from Japan are also legal because they are generally not models available on the Australian market and as such the Factory Importers(Suzuki Honda Etc) can't stop them(but they did try repeatedly through the courts a few years back). If you import a Busa or similar from the USA you can not get it complianced here without replacing the frame with an Aust Complianced model. People have imported late model bikes & gotten away with it BUT most of the times these bikes are impounded & destroyed. A U.S. Ex-Serviceman I know just went through it trying to bring his ZRX1200 out from the States. He hadn't owned the bike long and ran the risk of loosing it if it landed here. What he's doing now is having the bike broken down into 3 lots; The engine, electrics & pipes are sent with one load; the bodywork,wheels, forks etc in another load ; and the frame sold to a Motorcycle Title Service.... The first load is due in another 2 weeks and the rest should get here early in the new year. Thats the only safe way to do it. With the Spondons/Harris' etc , pull the motor and have them shipped that way. That shouldn't get them impounded, shoudn't. Australian Customs are a headache to deal with so avoid it if possible. There may be alot of cheap bikes overseas but getting them here is generally more trouble than it's worth....

chopaweeza
04-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Kat is spot on. If a model is marketed here then there is a 15 years moritorium on it. There are some sort of exceptions. New BMW's are one-Thats because the importation is officially approved by BMW Australia and as such it is not in breach of the regulations as it has BMW's little rubber stamp on it. Grey Imports from Japan are also legal because they are generally not models available on the Australian market and as such the Factory Importers(Suzuki Honda Etc) can't stop them(but they did try repeatedly through the courts a few years back). If you import a Busa or similar from the USA you can not get it complianced here without replacing the frame with an Aust Complianced model. People have imported late model bikes & gotten away with it BUT most of the times these bikes are impounded & destroyed. A U.S. Ex-Serviceman I know just went through it trying to bring his ZRX1200 out from the States. He hadn't owned the bike long and ran the risk of loosing it if it landed here. What he's doing now is having the bike broken down into 3 lots; The engine, electrics & pipes are sent with one load; the bodywork,wheels, forks etc in another load ; and the frame sold to a Motorcycle Title Service.... The first load is due in another 2 weeks and the rest should get here early in the new year. Thats the only safe way to do it. With the Spondons/Harris' etc , pull the motor and have them shipped that way. That shouldn't get them impounded, shoudn't. Australian Customs are a headache to deal with so avoid it if possible. There may be alot of cheap bikes overseas but getting them here is generally more trouble than it's worth....

Gix11
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a mate who built a custom "Hardley Ableson" Fatboy in the Middle East as he worked there for 10 years or so and owned the bike since '97 but even then Australian Customs wouldn't let him bring it in. He discovered that there was no rules on importing parts though so he had the frame and wheels imported in a personal shipment, which Customs then decided to keep for six months! He had to threaten legal action before they eventually released them. After that shit he decided to bring the rest of the bike over in his suitcase everytime he would come back from working over there. Aparently the guys on the x-ray machines at the airport raised a few eyebrows..... He said he'd never try the whole bike thing again, but parts - no worries. His bike and the story featured in Heavy Duty magazine which I just happened to slip on tonight from it lying around on the floor. Quite a coincidence really! No I don't buy Heavy Duty before you ask. He was very proud of the article so I went and bought that edition to see what shit he had written (you submit your own article words).

Gix11
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a mate who built a custom "Hardley Ableson" Fatboy in the Middle East as he worked there for 10 years or so and owned the bike since '97 but even then Australian Customs wouldn't let him bring it in. He discovered that there was no rules on importing parts though so he had the frame and wheels imported in a personal shipment, which Customs then decided to keep for six months! He had to threaten legal action before they eventually released them. After that shit he decided to bring the rest of the bike over in his suitcase everytime he would come back from working over there. Aparently the guys on the x-ray machines at the airport raised a few eyebrows..... He said he'd never try the whole bike thing again, but parts - no worries. His bike and the story featured in Heavy Duty magazine which I just happened to slip on tonight from it lying around on the floor. Quite a coincidence really! No I don't buy Heavy Duty before you ask. He was very proud of the article so I went and bought that edition to see what shit he had written (you submit your own article words).

04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
since a spondon or harris is not a production bike with no specified importer rights,is it classed as a "grey" import even tho its not from Japan?,does it have a compliance plate to suit the engine number it was constructed for?an wots to stop this from being dismantled an imported as a piece of furniture,which can be then registered with Oztraileran compliance? hmmm? there is a few spondon owners in Aus,but surely all of em didnt have to own the bike 4 12 months in its country of origin before importin them?
anyhow,pays to have a rello with multiple citizenship an residency(US+UK+AUS)for the stiky situations.

back to the topic,i'd be interested in an import Deano,cant wait to see wot the next container load brings.

04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
since a spondon or harris is not a production bike with no specified importer rights,is it classed as a "grey" import even tho its not from Japan?,does it have a compliance plate to suit the engine number it was constructed for?an wots to stop this from being dismantled an imported as a piece of furniture,which can be then registered with Oztraileran compliance? hmmm? there is a few spondon owners in Aus,but surely all of em didnt have to own the bike 4 12 months in its country of origin before importin them?
anyhow,pays to have a rello with multiple citizenship an residency(US+UK+AUS)for the stiky situations.

back to the topic,i'd be interested in an import Deano,cant wait to see wot the next container load brings.

suxukifreak
05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5-11-2005_9.32.39FB-back1.jpg
quote: http://www.gpstar.net/ how about this site for some cool gear from hollywood to fill some space in that container[?] [:p]

suxukifreak
05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/5-11-2005_9.32.39FB-back1.jpg
quote: http://www.gpstar.net/ how about this site for some cool gear from hollywood to fill some space in that container[?] [:p]

Deano
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I am by no means an expert on what goes on with importing bikes and parts but this guy is as it has put and still is putting food on his table.

Have the people you know that gave negitive reports from there experiences done all the right paper work and got permission from the right people before putting there bike in a container?

Are they a licienced importer or did they go through a licienced importer?

I would not try to bring in a motorbike by myself but i would be happy for this guy to do it for me.

It must be able to be done.

He does not offer a compliance cert but will give me the contacts of serveral companies in Melbourne that will be able to compliance something for me. this is worth investigating aswell

Davo, I will be keeping a keen eye on what he has coming in and let you know how good or bad it is.

Deano
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I am by no means an expert on what goes on with importing bikes and parts but this guy is as it has put and still is putting food on his table.

Have the people you know that gave negitive reports from there experiences done all the right paper work and got permission from the right people before putting there bike in a container?

Are they a licienced importer or did they go through a licienced importer?

I would not try to bring in a motorbike by myself but i would be happy for this guy to do it for me.

It must be able to be done.

He does not offer a compliance cert but will give me the contacts of serveral companies in Melbourne that will be able to compliance something for me. this is worth investigating aswell

Davo, I will be keeping a keen eye on what he has coming in and let you know how good or bad it is.

Gix11
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey Deano, by the way, cheers for sharing this with us mate. Good to know you're on the look out for us all!

Gix11
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey Deano, by the way, cheers for sharing this with us mate. Good to know you're on the look out for us all!

chopaweeza
07-11-2005, 08:16 AM
In QLD/VIC/NSW -With any non-production motorcycle including Spondon, Harris & the like they require an engineers certificte before being registered. In NSW this will cost between $2000 and $8000 . They will usually issue a replacement VIN as well as these are allocated to the certifying engineer. The bike will have to pass all ADR's for that year if it wasn't a complete bike in another country or the ADR's for stated year of manufacture if it was a complete bike elsewhere & you have documentation to prove it. So, If you bring in an 98' GSXR Martek somehow you can get in complianced at 1998 standards if you can produce rego documents from the UK that show the year of maunfacture. BUT, Most of the bikes we see in Streetfighters will not pass Engineers Certificate. Most require various levels of re-working to pass but some will not pass under any circumstances so buyer beware. There have already been a few specials that have been refused outright. As a rule, the more radical & minimalist the frame the greater the chance of it failling. The RTA periodically haunt places like the Old Pacific Highway so take care.
Having had a chat to other local frame builders over the last week you can get locally produced copies in CDS2 of many of Harris/Spondons designs for around $3500 built to spec. One indicated that if there was a market he would be interested in building a specialised Jig just to do Harris styled frames to meet NSW Engineers Certicate standards.At the moment it's just being talked over but could be a done deal if the market is there. Speaking personally as a semi-pro framebuilder there is an aweful lot of work in some of these designs BUT I for one wil be doing one for myself when I finalise all the mad ideas I have & check them against the RTA regulations & ADR standards .

chopaweeza
07-11-2005, 08:16 AM
In QLD/VIC/NSW -With any non-production motorcycle including Spondon, Harris & the like they require an engineers certificte before being registered. In NSW this will cost between $2000 and $8000 . They will usually issue a replacement VIN as well as these are allocated to the certifying engineer. The bike will have to pass all ADR's for that year if it wasn't a complete bike in another country or the ADR's for stated year of manufacture if it was a complete bike elsewhere & you have documentation to prove it. So, If you bring in an 98' GSXR Martek somehow you can get in complianced at 1998 standards if you can produce rego documents from the UK that show the year of maunfacture. BUT, Most of the bikes we see in Streetfighters will not pass Engineers Certificate. Most require various levels of re-working to pass but some will not pass under any circumstances so buyer beware. There have already been a few specials that have been refused outright. As a rule, the more radical & minimalist the frame the greater the chance of it failling. The RTA periodically haunt places like the Old Pacific Highway so take care.
Having had a chat to other local frame builders over the last week you can get locally produced copies in CDS2 of many of Harris/Spondons designs for around $3500 built to spec. One indicated that if there was a market he would be interested in building a specialised Jig just to do Harris styled frames to meet NSW Engineers Certicate standards.At the moment it's just being talked over but could be a done deal if the market is there. Speaking personally as a semi-pro framebuilder there is an aweful lot of work in some of these designs BUT I for one wil be doing one for myself when I finalise all the mad ideas I have & check them against the RTA regulations & ADR standards .

fimpBIKES
07-11-2005, 05:50 PM
im a mechanical engineer,
i would be happy to help out in any frame design as far as calculations go no charge

fimpBIKES
07-11-2005, 05:50 PM
im a mechanical engineer,
i would be happy to help out in any frame design as far as calculations go no charge