PDA

View Full Version : Blade fighter question

Smokey74
19-04-2007, 01:56 PM
As some of you know, I've been working on a new Blade project. I've run into a little problem that I can't seem to figure out. It's probably something real easy and stupid but I'm just having issues. Anyway, my problem.. I installed my LSL bar kit with superbike high bars, re-routed all my wiring and started to tackle the clutch cable, here's where the problem starts.. I got an extended clutch cable with my bar kit so I assumed I needed to use it. I took off the stock cable and replaced it with the extended cable and now my clutch lever is real hard to pull. I checked everything from the cable to the clutch pack and the rod that engages it, it all looks good. The clutch works, it's just real hard to pull the lever. Yes, the spring is in the right place and yes the cable moves freely. For shits and giggles I tried putting the stock cable back on, same thing, real hard to pull. It wasn't like this until I fucked with it so it has to be something I did but all I did was replace the cable.. Also, it seems that the stock length cable is long enough which makes me wonder why they sent me a new cable. Can any of you help me out? Also, are any of you running the longer cable and what is the best route for it?? Thanks.

zx12argh
19-04-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm running a stock cable and it fits alright - tho obviously you'll have a different setup from a 12r - I wouldn't want my cable being any shorter tho.

The only thing I can think of is at the mounting point near the clutch housing. Have you changed the geometry where the clutch is actuated or is it being pinched/kinked anywhere?

Smokey74
19-04-2007, 02:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

I'm running a stock cable and it fits alright - tho obviously you'll have a different setup from a 12r - I wouldn't want my cable being any shorter tho.

The only thing I can think of is at the mounting point near the clutch housing. Have you changed the geometry where the clutch is actuated or is it being pinched/kinked anywhere?

I'm not 100% sure, I think the actuating lever used to point towards the rear of the bike but now it points to the center but I'm not sure. A pic of another blade would probably help because the books I have don't show it. I've pulled the clutch completely apart now and put it all back together per the book and it's still doing the same thing, clutch works, just hard to pull. I re-routed the stock wire so there are no bends and she's well lubed with free movement. What else could it even be? Is it possible that since the bike has been sitting for months that it just needs run to get some oil back into the cluth??

zx12argh
19-04-2007, 03:35 PM
The clutch cable has to be attached to the actuator so that its around 90 degree angle - that way when you pull on the clutch you are pulling on a tangent to arc that the actuator moves through.
I dont think its an oil issue - the clutch would be sticking or irregular in its movement - but I have't done much with clutches myself...

Slingblade
19-04-2007, 03:42 PM
My stock cable did reach but the 90degree bend near the lever made it awkward. I replaced it with a 6 inch over and it is fine. If the clutch action was smooth before you replaced the cable i doubt its a problem with your clutch pack. You may have the clutch arm wrong. Take a pic looking down on the clutch actuator and we can tell you more.

PS did you coat the clutch plates in engine oil before reinstalling them? Wont help your cable issue but it may save you grief when you get it back on the road.

exile
19-04-2007, 05:21 PM
If my memory serves me, the clutch arm should be a a 90 degree angle and facing toward the front of the bike.....

Smokey74
20-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks guys, I'll take a picture tonight when I get home. It's at a 90 deg. angle but facing inward towards the engine. Oh, and yes I coated the plates with oil before I put them back in. I'm convinced it's not the cable because both the stock and longer one are doing the same thing. Looks for the pics later. Thanks again.

Smokey74
20-04-2007, 04:52 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/101759408075693.jpg

Here's that photo.. Anyone have one to compare it to?? This is the only position that mine will work.

exile
20-04-2007, 06:21 AM
That looks about right to me fella ;)

qickdraw
20-04-2007, 09:21 AM
That's correct Smokey - mine is in exactly the same position.
Stupid question, but have you replaced the clutch plates/springs during the build?

Smokey74
20-04-2007, 09:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by qickdraw

That's correct Smokey - mine is in exactly the same position.
Stupid question, but have you replaced the clutch plates/springs during the build?

Nope.. Just pulled them apart to make sure they were in good shape and put everything back together. When this problem started the only thing I had done was remove and replace the cable, nothing else, then I started digging into it. The clutch went from being real easy to pull one day, to being hard to pull the next day with no change other than the cable. Everything else I've done hasn't changed a thing. Like I said, the clutch works and it goes through all the gears fine, the lever is just real stiff. I re-routed the cable yet again in a nice smooth curve up to the lever, still the same. I must be missing something..

exile
20-04-2007, 10:44 AM
The problem is that you have done more than 1 thing at once, only ever do 1 mod at a time, try it out, then move on to the next mod......trust me ive been there n done that:(If the cable runs ok, the foto looks good then it must be something that you've done internally ;)

Smokey74
20-04-2007, 12:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by exile

The problem is that you have done more than 1 thing at once, only ever do 1 mod at a time, try it out, then move on to the next mod......trust me ive been there n done that:(If the cable runs ok, the foto looks good then it must be something that you've done internally ;)

Like I said, originally all I did was change the cable. That's when I noticed the stiff lever, so I switched the cable back and it was still stiff. Only after that did I pull the clutch pack apart to check things out. I've done a dozen clutches over the years and I was very carefull and even used the book to make sure I was right. I'm 99% sure it's not the clutch, it has to be something to do with the rod that goes down into the case, that and the spring are the only things I moved originally. Even after I fucked with everything, it's exactly the same as it was after only changing the cable so I don't think it's anything internal. Fuck it, I guess my forearm will just get stronger when I ride it the way it is. Thanks for all the input guys but I guess this one will go unsolved. At least the damn thing runs and shifts good..

Gix11
20-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't have a cable clutch but (and this is going to seem very obvious and simple, but sometimes the most obvious things are overlooked) did you return the adjusters on the lever back to the exact same position as they were before you loosened them to relase the old cable. Yea, I know it sounds stupid even asking but I've done it in a moment I madness.

exile
20-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Good point Gix;), i didnt think of the obvious when i was reading this thread last nite, but i did have a few Stella's down me:D

damo1
21-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I havnt read all this thread because im lazy but the cable on my blade is a custome one and it goes under the radiator hose then over the radiator past the head stock through the forks(between the headstock and r/hand fork leg) then just lops up to the clutch lever.

But you have to make sure that you have a little bit of free play at the lever end of the cable i notice on the blade that if you over adjust them they get very heavy/springy to pull in.

So what i do is do the adjustment at the motor end and just take up a little slack at the bar end but make sure you do leave a little,when i say a little the leaver should move about 5mm or so thats just free play and it should fix the prob.

It just sounds like its over adjusted.

Hope this helps;)

HueyonaBlade
22-04-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/36174105477034.jpg
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/36174105450370.jpg

Hey there Smokey , As far as the adjustments go Im not sure but this is a 6" over length cable and it has made no difference to the operation of my clutch so hope you can get something out of the photos ;)

Scrapyard
26-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Make sure the pull rod in the cover is grabing correctly. If it's not seated on that mushroom looking puller right on the inside it will give a heavy clutch pull because it's binding against the hub. It will adjust to the point you have now and look correct, but it's not pulling the clutch correctly. Pull the cover back off and make sure the 2 pull rods are meshed together right befor you button it back up. Sometimes you need to actually rotate the pull rod in the cover so it puts tension aginst the one in the clutch as you put the cabel back on.

customfighterer
04-05-2007, 01:17 AM
i run my stock clutch cable underneath the gas tank on my blade with dirt bars and risers....never had any problems with that setup.

madmaxman1986
04-05-2007, 03:07 AM
i have nothing useful to say.
[xx(]

Bear
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
You haven't over-tightened the clutch lever pivot pin by chance?

MONO
11-05-2008, 05:03 PM
ive got a lsl kit too didn't need a longer cable will go n check cable routing tomorrow bikes not at home today can post photos too.
Just looking at your photos (nice mirror paint can see brake lever) cables like the slowest curves + tryed cable oiler. yell out for those photos

MONO
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
try also operating the clutch arm with a shifter this might isolate which direction to look..... clutch <---> cable