PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Rims....Urban myth or fact????

Foxy
18-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey all,

wont be a while till I get round to it but I have some rims I am going to strip back and polish.

My question is, many times I have heard from ppl not to strip back the inside of the rims where the tyre beading is as its possible for the tyre to slip off the rim.

Is this true or false?

Personally I would prefer to strip the whole lot and polish the visible part.

Cheers

Foxy

fimpBIKES
18-04-2007, 12:56 PM
i seemed to keep my (well lubricated) tyres on the rims for the whole fools run

sounds like bullshit to me

Gix11
18-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Never heard that one mate. I cracked the shits with mine and took them to some fool who does it for a living, but when I got them back I could still see the white on the inside edge. Was this because of what you said or because he's a lazy shit and thought it wouldn't be seen? I'd like to hear if anyone knows for a fact.

Foxy
18-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, it makes sense not to polish the inside (not that you would), but surely I can strip the paint off.

These rims are not the easiest to polish and the last thing I want is to have to mask them off before stripping!!

zx12argh
18-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Sounds like b.s. to me.

I thought when a tyre is fitted an adhesive sealant is applied anyways.

dazz
18-04-2007, 04:13 PM
load of crap.

only issue with stripping the bead area would be with moisture retention and the possibility of corrosion.

TurboKat
18-04-2007, 04:13 PM
That's the 2nd biggest load of Bollocks I've ever heard Foxy, I've had several bikes over the years that I've polished the wheels on & never had a tyre slippage issue.
I've only polished the outer rim "over the edge" to where you can see it, if you polished the whole rim on the inside where the air goes, you'd -
A, have far too much time on your hands,
B, be a glutton for punishment,
C, be (in the words of Mundy & Gibbo) a complete fuckwit.
On some wheels, there are little serrated grooves at the base of the inner rim, supposedly to stop the tyre moving, if you polish them smooth, run less than 10 psi in your tyres, have more than 200 HP & brake like Kevin Schwantz, you MIGHT be able to rotate your tyres on your rims, otherwise you're safe mate.

Foxy
18-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Beauty, a stripping I will go.....(btw I have polished the rims on all the bikes I have owned with the exception of the Z) but I was always too lazy to remove the tyre from the rim.

Just thought I would check as at the time I recalled I told the bloke he was full of shit too.

TurboKat
18-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Also, don't use grease as a bead lubricant. [:o)]

Foxy
18-04-2007, 04:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Also, don't use grease as a bead lubricant. [:o)]
I'll leave that up to Fimp mate [8D]

chopaweeza
18-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually the opposite is true though. Some paint types have to have the inner edge were the tyre bead seats stripped back to bare metal as some painted surfaces will make the tyre slip . I did a set of rims in two pac enamel last year, let them cure for 8 weeks and had new tyres put on them. When the bike ran on it's maiden trip the front tyre deflated. %The paint had stuck to the bead , lifted and slid around destroying the air tight seal. We had to pull the tyres , strip the paint off the inner rim and refit the tyres. No problem after that . Heard of the same thing happening with powder coating and stove enameling as well.