PDA

View Full Version : HEL brakelines fitting issue

derangedrover
17-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Just trying to fit up a set of HEL lines and Im having dramas. The fittings on the ends of the hoses seem to be misaligned to each other, ie when you fit them to the mcyl, the other end has the bend in the banjo fitting going the wrong way to mount to the caliper? Instead of bending away from the caliper, the bend is going toward the caliper.
If I swap the mcyl end around so the bend in the banjo sends the lines toward the outside of the bike then the lower end is going the right direction, but with the mcyl end fitted this way the lines are too short and look spastic, ie not right.
Any advice? Anyone struck this problem before?

Cheers
Daryl

17-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I had a similar problem with mine (dual race lines), I just twisted them into position and used those little line clamp things to hold them in line. I originally put it down to the drag bars I had on, but then realised that the it would have been the same problem with the original clip ons.

derangedrover
17-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks Chalk.
I tried twisting them, but they just turn into a pretzel and get very short being braided.

Cheers

17-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Mine did that at first, but they have settled down now.

TurboKat
18-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I've had exactly the same problem with 2 seperate sets of Hel braided lines Daryl. The Hel lines sit terribly on the bike, they're always slightly twisted when mounted up even though in both cases they were a bike specific fitment.
I took mine to a hose place to get a swivel fitting put on but the guy said he couldn't do anything with them as they are a rare & unusual hose size & none of the standard fittings avail in Aust. will fit, so once you buy them, you're stuck with 'em.
I got hold of a set of Goodridge ADR lines & the orientation of the ends was perfect when on the bike, I don't understand why one manufacturer can get it right & the other can't, I certainly won't be buying Hel lines again - twice bitten. :(

qickdraw
18-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Errr,, you guys ARE aware that the HEL fittings are rotatable right?????
Hold the backshell with some soft jaw pliers (or stick a rag in the jaws of your standard pliers) and place a large phillips head screwdriver or drift through the banjo. Twist the fitting to the desired angle.
Just ANOTHER reason why they're better than all the rest.....
ASK B4 YOU JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS BOYS!!!!!!

cavey
18-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Dont you think hel should maybe release this info on purchase, do they honour damage under warranty?? Dont sound right to me!! Pliers and large screw driver on something i just paid good money for!!

qickdraw
18-04-2007, 10:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by cavey

Dont you think hel should maybe release this info on purchase, do they honour damage under warranty?? Dont sound right to me!! Pliers and large screw driver on something i just paid good money for!!

If you're not a ham-fist it shouldn't be a problem - and if you ARE you probably shouldn't be doing the job in the first place.:D
Why should they honour damage done by the buyer during istallation? The kit is a well-tried method that is a lot more flexible than any brand without movable banjos - imagine changing your M/C for one that comes out @ a totally different angle - or fitting different bars - you stand no chance of getting other brands to fit, but you can modify the angle of the HEL banjo's to suit.....:)
All kits come with an instruction sheet that includes this little nugget of info (at least it did last time I checked...!);)

TurboKat
18-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, good tip Stu, but like Cavey said, there's nothing in the instructions that tells you that [?] in fact, it mentions that the fittings are swaged on & from experience, swaged means not moveable so I would never have tried to twist the fittings with force for fear of destroying them.
If I try the pliers & screwdriver method & they start to leak, will you warranty them?

18-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I didn't see any such mention. But it looks like they've swivelled themselves into place anyway.

qickdraw
18-04-2007, 02:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

If I try the pliers & screwdriver method & they start to leak, will you warranty them?

Of course mate - they are designed to be turned where needed. However see my comments about about being pork-handed...:D
I'll have another look @ the current instruction sheets (as I said it's been a while since I even looked @ them) & if it's not on there any more I'll mention it 2 them....

qickdraw
18-04-2007, 02:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

it mentions that the fittings are swaged on & from experience, swaged means not moveable so I would never have tried to twist the fittings with force for fear of destroying them.

There are plenty of different types of swaging processes.... to conclude this one, as I ALWAYS say - if you are at all in doubt as to the quality or suitability of ANYTHING you get from me CALL ME & SPEAK TO ME!!!!! An explanation/apology/kick up the arse is only a 'phone call away![^]

derangedrover
18-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Qickdraw,
Just went over the instructions again and the only thing it mentions about fitment is checking the pitch of the banjo bolts. All the rest is about priming, bleeding etc.
It was nearly 11 last night when I gave up, didn't think you'd be answering the phone at that stage:D, so I thought I would try the collective wisdom that is ASF's.
I'll try twisting the fittings tonight. While I have your attention, can the angle of the banjo be 'adjusted' (read bent but with finesse)?

Cheers
Daryl

sharky
18-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm guessing bending them WON'T be covered. The ones I got (from Stu)twisted very easily and have never leaked.

qickdraw
19-04-2007, 10:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by derangedrover

Qickdraw,
Just went over the instructions again and the only thing it mentions about fitment is checking the pitch of the banjo bolts. All the rest is about priming, bleeding etc.
It was nearly 11 last night when I gave up, didn't think you'd be answering the phone at that stage:D, so I thought I would try the collective wisdom that is ASF's.
I'll try twisting the fittings tonight. While I have your attention, can the angle of the banjo be 'adjusted' (read bent but with finesse)?

Cheers
Daryl

NO!!!![:0][:0] Don't try to bend them!!!!

Jockney Rebel
19-04-2007, 07:27 PM
as this is my field of expertise ,,can i help at all...if your feelin brave and theyre swaged ends u can gently rotate the tail in the hose by clamping the ferrule but extreme care is needed as these fittings are easily damaged
i do it every day with larger hyd fittings..
as their hel fittings i assume their swaged and covered with a shrink wrap stuff on the ferrule trouble with that is u probably cant get enuf clamping force to keep the ferrule from spinning without destroying the cover.
the liner in the hose is made from teflon ,,and providing u dont get medeivel with the banjo the fitting should turn enuf to get the relation of the ends right

Jockney Rebel
19-04-2007, 07:35 PM
just read the thread properly ...stu said exactly the same thing oops ..the reason u cant get these made up in a hose shop is that most hose shops dont stock the dies for the crimper and the fittings a re expensive to have hanging around in stock for ages ..plus yer staff nick em to do their bikes and cars ..lol and of course the hose is a wierd size most hoses are sized by a number at the end ..ie 1/4 inch is 04,1/2nch is 08 etc these hoses are somewher between 02[1/8 inch and 3/16]03 probably metric or a S.A.E. size
right ill get me coat now ...lol

19-04-2007, 08:00 PM
The local brake shop makes them up on the spot, they did my rear brake line.

chopiesel
19-04-2007, 08:11 PM
indeed, they made my clutch line for 60 bucks.

Jockney Rebel
19-04-2007, 10:45 PM
tru gents ours does too thats why i got phills made there ..we just dont earn enuf profit from them to make it worth our while
example :today i fitted a 5800psi 1", 2metre line to a piling rig ,took 1 hour retail cost to customer including their 20% disc. $1100, our cost: $575 plus my labour , we cant get that sort of margin on the auto motive stuff