PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket temp gauge on 2003 600fsport

albertaf4i
11-04-2007, 03:18 PM
ok well this is the issue im running acewell gauges altho mine do not have a temp gauge built in. i was going to run a aftermarket automotive electronic water temp gauge now i figured i wouldnt have a problem but wrong. the signal from my temp gauge that used to go to my gauges doesnt work and i believe its because the temp sensor is an ect(engine coolant temp sensor) now it isnt like a normal two wire sensor how the hell do i hook up the gauge so that it works??? or is there even a way or do i have to drill and tap the other sensor it came with in.

11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Basically you have 2 different measuring guage systems there mate, and you have 2 options. As you said drill and tap the new sensor into your system, or get another guage that is intended for a single wire sensor.
You won't be able to remove the existing sensor because it will be linked into your engine management system, and personally, I would suggest you send the new unit back to where you got it from and get the correct type for your bike. Jst ask/look for a single wire sensor guage.
Your existing sensor will be working, it's just that it doesn't 'send' a signal back to the guage, it controls how much power the guage can send to it, ie the reverse of what you've been thinking, it's more a variable earth mechanism.
On my GPz I removed the original temp guage (analogue) from the dash and put it into a new nacell by itself, you could try getting a temp guage from an older machine and doing that.

albertaf4i
12-04-2007, 03:12 AM
well i figured out what i think i might do i will search the net for now for a one wire gauge or i will put a "T" with a place to stick the two wire sensor and put it into one of my rad hoses.

hmmmnz
12-04-2007, 03:41 AM
why not pull the temp guage out of you original clocks and mount that somewhere by itself. or is it a digital part of the original clocks???
putting a hole in your hose, surely isn't a good idea. you'll never get it to seal, :D
good luck what ever you do :D

albertaf4i
12-04-2007, 04:06 AM
haha no a hole man im not that dumb a T liek a fitting that has the same size outlet and inlet as the hose so pretty much you cut your hose connect one side of the hose to the t and clamp it and the other side of the hose to the other side of the t and clamp it then screw your sensor into the t and walla

12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
You'll want to make sure that it doesn't adversely affect coolant flow with the T section. Having a sensor positioned down into the original hose line will definitely restrict flow, and if you pull it back so that it's out of the flow line it may not give accurate readings.

albertaf4i
12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
it shouldnt affect flow in any means i mean its just a little stick sensor as per the actual t its made by auto meter looks like this
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=49

12-04-2007, 04:29 PM
That's a nice bit of kit actually.