PDA

View Full Version : exhaust flame thrower

Funkenfresh
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
anyone done this, know how to or got plans to do this???
can it be done on a fuel injected bike????
dont care what size flames, small ones make me happy too....!!!

10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Check with Damo, he and Exben did one last year

chopaweeza
11-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Last one I did was a washer motor out of a Barina, , lawnmower plug & fuel tank, a 130 main jet out of an AMAL Mk1 and over simplified wiring . Used to produce a 5 foot flame out the tail pipe and it looked awesome at traffic lights.Unfortunately, the nobb head I sold the bike to wanted something more extreme so he bored the main jet out to buggery so that it would shoot a high pressure stream and the subsequent fire destroyed alot of bushland

Gix11
11-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Starts about here: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=825&whichpage=6

zx12argh
11-04-2007, 01:05 PM
i'd say a five foot flame would be good to settle an argument over who cut who off... Give em both barrels ;)

catchmeifyoucan
11-04-2007, 02:49 PM
my bike blows big blue flames at night when its reasonably cold, is that normal?? no i dont have a flame thrower on it..

11-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Running slightly rich on autochoke perhaps?

catchmeifyoucan
11-04-2007, 02:54 PM
it doesnt do it all the time, even when its warmed up, its mainly when i give some gas then back off, and it does run slightly rich ive had it on the dyno, but i little rich is a good thing yeh?..its better then leanin out..

11-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Better rich than lean, doesn't sound a problem tbh.

chopaweeza
11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeh, 5 foot was pretty decent. I've built a couple for laughs and just so long as you don't over do it Cops think all the extra plumbing is Anti Pollution Gear........ The last one I did was on an XS650 . I built the bike to sell and thats what happened. But, the new owner wanted to squirt fuel like a Super Soaker and so he drilled the jet out larger. He went out camping with his mates at a national park up past Newcastle and eager to show off his newly modified toy he started the flamer. The raw fuel didn't light at first , it just squirted 20 meters into the bushland but after about 20 seconds it finally lit and shot flaming petrol onto the already soaked dry bush. They were luck to have escaped with their bikes but all their camping gear went up in flames as did several thousand acres of national park. Now instead of doing a runner like his mates did he hung around the local pub and after a few beers decided to show off his flame thrower setting fire to a Bus Stop in the process. Someone in the crowd put 2 + 2 together and realised they had their arsonist. The crowd turned ugly, beat the tar out of him and made a Bonfire of the Yami. The fact that the angry mob destroyed the evidence(ie. torched the bike) was the only reason the angry local blue belly couldn't arrest him for arson. After that I gave it up as a not so bright idea........ But, in it's stock form it would scare the shit out of tailgaters and make people give you a wide berth at traffic lights.

Funkenfresh
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
just goes to show some peeps just arent made for extreme mods...

zx12argh
11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I thought even if you run a extra coil and spark plug inside your can you can still get decent flames... Not 5 foot but still at least decent foot long flames...

Funkenfresh
12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
do you mean with a carby set up??? i did think running rich them spark would mean fire...
but fuel injection.. could this work??

damo1
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Did you look at mine?

Funkenfresh
12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
yeh i did but i wanna find a different fuel feed??... a tank like that hanging on the side is asking for shite!!!
could a T valve from a fuel hose to a pump work?!?!?!

damo1
13-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Did you get my email?

we tried a t piece from the fuel line and pumped fuel in to the exhaust and thats how we got it fired up but as i said in the email
you have to rev the shit out of the bike to get it to lite and if you reved it hard it would blow out.

The problem we had was the CO2 in the exhaust takes away the flammability out of the fuel as it did with the butane.

The pictures of the butane bottle on the side of my bike were very early on and it didnt stay that way for long at all.

http://www.flamethrowers.com.au/thankyou.html

http://www.customflamethrowers.com/modules/news/

Heres some links to flamethrower sites but these all use the rev the shit out of it to fill the exhaust full of fuel vapours turn the thing off and ignite the vapoures left in the system thats how they get there flames.

I was looking for flames on the run thats where my problems started.

Good luck with it keep the pics coming of the progress.

Funkenfresh
13-04-2007, 05:30 PM
ooooooooooooooooo yeh.. flames on the runn.. like nitro funny car style... sounds wicked...
what if a fresh "air inlet" was added to the exhaust and faced forwards?!!? more air would fly into the
exhaust and push exhaust gasses through diluted...

damo1
15-04-2007, 08:31 AM
We tried that with an air blower very far forward no go still good luck mate.