PDA

View Full Version : advance timing...???? PLEASE!!

catchmeifyoucan
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
ok, so i want to adveance my timing a bit, generally from what ive heard, and been told doing this will give you i little more bottom end, is this correct..???
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11394821053539.jpg

Right, to advance my timing, can i just losten the nut and turn the cog, or is it more complicated then that?? also how much should i turn it, and if i turn it to much can i fuck my engine?? would appreciate any imput and advice from everyone who knows what there on about... Cheers fellas..:D:D

speeddemon
09-04-2007, 06:02 PM
The bandit and GSXr's can use 5 degree advance - i noticed small diff, but man others dont.

Yes you can fuck your engine - and yes it may help

Hillsy
09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
My Factory Pro advancer for the ZX9 is 4 deg. You can get a 6 deg one also and Muzzy make an adjustable one from 2 to 6 degrees. You wouldn't want to go past 6 degrees for a modern engine cause they are already fairly advanced as stock (pardon the pun).

catchmeifyoucan
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
so do i have to go out and buy some yoshi advancer or can i just turn that cog a bit??

Gix11
09-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Judging by the way you're asking these questions I think you'd be better off leaving it as it is mate so you don't do any damage, especially if the results are minimal. No offense intended.

catchmeifyoucan
09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
i admit im not the smartest guy around here, but im trying to learn, and the only way i can learn is to ask questions, so anyone that can answer my questions will be helping me out, im not necesarilly going to do it myself, but thats why im asking questions.. C'mon gix help me out im sure you know a thing or 2.. and im sure you and quite a few people have learnt from there mistakes...

09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
The benefits aren't worth the effort at the moment Catch, but if you must get yourself a Yoshi advancer, at least then you'll know how much advance is right for your bike. Are you running air pods, dynojet kit yet? What other mods have you done to it?

Benz
09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
You can advance the timing a few degress to get a little more bottom end, but you may find you loose some topend, and the motor tends to "stonewall" in the upper rev range.
In order to take advantage of the earlier firing cycle, you'll need to up the fuel a bit too, otherwise the motor may also 'ping', which is actually destroying the top of your pistons, and loading up the bigend bearings etc.
Generally speaking, advancing on its own is not really a great idea, but good if you've got a higher flow exhaust, some cams with more lift and duration, and a set of carbs and air filters that can deliver more fuel/air, you'd make more power down low with a few degrees advance.
More advance will generally make the engine harder to start, the GSX11 motor is highly susceptable to a few degrees, from an easy start, to kicking back like a mule.
You're probably going to get better results from a dyno session that gets your carbs nicely synced, and fueling correctly
Personal experience speaking here, others may have a different story....

loosebruce
09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
what sort of bike you got there Catch?
You shouldn't have to take the clutch cover off to access the timing plate.
There is a "how to" linked from the home page.
Did mine on the GSXR1100, probably only about 3Degrees, a cuppla months ago and she's all good, just make sure to use Premium.

madmaxman1986
10-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Those are some dark waters to be lurking in if you're not sure what you're doing. You could wreck your motor [u]fast</u> with the wrong timing. We're just watching out for ya![8D] If you really want to do it, you'll do it wheather we say "no" or "go".

catchmeifyoucan
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by loosebruce

what sort of bike you got there Catch?
You shouldn't have to take the clutch cover off to access the timing plate.
There is a "how to" linked from the home page.
Did mine on the GSXR1100, probably only about 3Degrees, a cuppla months ago and she's all good, just make sure to use Premium.

I got a 05 cbr600RR, so no need for any carb tuning, fuel injected.. the covers are off cos theyre getting painted black, i just thought whille there off maybe the timing could be tweaked a little, but by th sounds of it its probably not worth my trouble...
as for power mods, not a great deal, full yoshi system, bmc filter, the good oils, but she goes like fuck!:D how much roughly is a yoshi advancer gonna set me back, i dont have deep pockets..

Thanks for the imput everyone,;) appreciate it, think ill leave it for now...

shift1313
10-04-2007, 11:58 AM
ive never advance a bike the mechanical way but in know on cars 1 tooth is usually way too much and you really need adjustable cam gears to do it right. You will be much better off leaving it since your cdi setup is tied in with your FI. You will see much more noticable low end with just a larger rear sprocket or a smaller front one. those things are geared way high for stock. free flowing exhaust and intake are the first things you should worry about. Next on my list would be upped compression a bit but honestly the drive chain sprockets are going to give you a much more noticable result without hurting your engine.

10-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Leave it alone;)learn to "ride around" it you can change ya timing by ALL means of matters,unless ya have a situation that 100% requires it due to saftety.RIDE it[8D]

catchmeifyoucan
11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
i will be leaving it alone, the only way to learn is to ask questions, and i do RIDE it, probably not as hard as most of you fellas, but im young, still learning... it was all just a thought, as i said, the covers were off so i thought id ask...

Gix11
11-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Hats off to you mate. That's what it's all about. "Keen is the theme" for Streetfighters.

catchmeifyoucan
11-04-2007, 12:32 PM
i do my best gix...cheers..

loosebruce
11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Probably better off getting a Power Commander and some dyno time.
Even stock it's probably quicker than most people can ride it anyway.

shift1313
12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
yeah catchme, you did the right thing by asking before monkeying it up. Better to have this post then, "i advance my timing and now my bike wont start and theres a rod sticking through my case"

mechanical timing advances are a very skilled thing. You have to know several things about your motor. those 600rr should have good down low with the right gearing.

cutcat
14-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Leave ignition timing well alone on EFI bikes, cos the computer compensates and adjusts it automatically for optimum performance. I tried it once by advancing it just a few degrees and spun the fucker backwards!!!