PDA

View Full Version : Mini idiot lights or similar

Benz
08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Guys, I'm having a bastard of a time trying to mount up the original idiot lights on the GPZ turbo project. What I wouldn't mind doing is turfing them, and placing some very small replacements on the tank panel. Something with virually no length,preferably surface mounted, as there's about 20mm max depth.
Must come in orange, green and red, if I'm to replace the blinker, warning, neutral and oil pressure lights.
Any suggestions????.......about the lights that is:)

Gix11
08-04-2007, 03:20 PM
GSXR slabbie stripped down. Same as mark did with his piston dash: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5025
The cover on the top can come off as well.

Benz
08-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Found some little bezels that will do the job, got to sort out the voltage/resistor relationship, a coupla diodes, six small holes drilled , and a bit of soldering, and I'm hoping to get lucky....

Iceman
08-04-2007, 08:38 PM
This was the first dash I made for the GS
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1695588913899.JPG

08-04-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm running a system that uses just one LED, a tricolor which strobes through the colors depending on what should be lit. They're Red/Green/Blue Oil/Neutral/High Beam.
With a bit of work I can get it to do just about any color wanted.

Benz
08-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Chalky, I realise the LED is supposed to be an indicator only,[I guess that why we call them idiot lights!!] but what happens when it has to do more than one thing? You're in neutral,the blinkers on,with low oil pressure, for instance.

08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
The LED spends 1/2 a sec on each color, cycling between them.
ie for oil pressure it just shows a constant Red,
if Oil and Neutral (as in ignition turned on) it shows Red for 1/2 sec then Green for 1/2 sec, then Red etc etc etc
for all three it display Red (1/2 sec), Green (1/2 sec), Blue (1/2 sec), Red etc etc etc.
If none are lit then there is no color showing.
I use a programmed PIC chip to operate it, and it also operates the self cancelling indicators.

If you want I can send you the plans/code, if you can programme Pic Chips yourself, or give me 4-6 weeks and I can build one for you (I start a new contract this week, so will be busy as fuck)

Benz
08-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I've got no clues to chip programming, but would be interested to see if I could learn....,and would appreciate the plans mate, just to see how its done, if nothing else.
Cheers Chalky
Thanks for the pic Iceman, good to get as many ideas as possible.

08-04-2007, 10:49 PM
You'll need a programmer, here's one from Dick Smith, the cheapest you'll find
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4618e3f00b92e94c2741c0a87f9c0748/Product/View/K3610

And a chip (PIC 16f84)
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4618e3f00b92e94c2741c0a87f9c0748/Product/View/Z9176

Send me an email and I'll send back the Hex code (+ basic equivalent) plus the bill of materials and layout. Did you want the indicator function or not? It's a lot simpler/compact without it.

Benz
08-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Emails sent.
Mate, the simpler the better...!!

shift1313
09-04-2007, 04:13 AM
you dont need idiot lights benz:). for awhile i played with using the idiots lights from a triumph but in the end i just left them off my bike. I can feel when im in N and the rest are useless. I dont have signals and i know when my Hi is on. The red warning is also in the tank pod.

waltari
28-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I used these 12v idiot lights I got from Radio Shack in the US...$1.49USD each. (the dash I made for my 82 Katana 1200)

http://www.castordesignstudio.com/gsx1100sz/Gauge%20Panel.jpg

fimpBIKES
28-04-2007, 01:25 PM
fuck your on top of it chalk!

sneaky shit

Gix11
28-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey Matt, your profile says you are a fabricator and tyhat unit you made looks very 60's laboratory-going-to-launch-a-space-shuttle. What is it you fabricate exactly mate? Oh, and welcome aboard.

waltari
28-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Used to make 5000+lbs bronze monuments...now I work for a precision sheet metal manufacturer making high end architectural lighting. Oh and thanks fr the welcome...guess I sgould introduce myself. Crazymofo Joe turned me onto the site...blame him:D

shift1313
04-05-2007, 03:26 AM
hey matt, where are you located, Im a fabricator for VA tech transportation research. oh and welcome aboard. oh and benz, you can pull the bulbs out individually if you want, also the lights push into the back of a triumph daytona gauge cluster(older style) I can take some pics today if you want.

Benz
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
My bezels arrived today, so the original idiot lights that I've mounted to the front of the top yoke [interim measure] will piss off, and I've decided to mount the bezels into the top yoke itself, six small holes drilled, the original wiring is right there, problem solved.
Wecome aboard Watari,nice lookin bit of construction mate. My bezels cost $14.40AU for six, two red, two yellow ,a green and a blue, chrome surrounds.

waltari
05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by shift1313

hey matt, where are you located, Im a fabricator for VA tech transportation research. oh and welcome aboard. oh and benz, you can pull the bulbs out individually if you want, also the lights push into the back of a triumph daytona gauge cluster(older style) I can take some pics today if you want.

Well...for the next couple months we're in Northern CA (Sacramento). Hopefully by July 1st we'll be relocated to Oregon....this time I'm opening up my own design/build shop as I'm tired of working for deranged small business owners. Funny...I used to live in VA (Fairfax) and work in DC. If you're ever in Silverspring check out the last project I completed before we moved out west http://www.castordesignstudio.com/KPIMAGES/Silverspring2.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.

Matthew

crazymofo
05-05-2007, 04:51 PM
welcome matty, good too see you finally made it over here mate.

put some pics of the gsxF and the kat up for the boys and gals when ya get the chance.

cheers.joe.