PDA

View Full Version : Batteries ????

Lewis Moto
16-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm messing around with a GPZ 550 at the moment and it is becoming a bit of a rat/brat/cafe/fighter.
The standard battery for these is larger than a house brick. YN12A-A 180x160x83mm. It is rated at 12ah.
I would like to run with the smallest possible 12v possible as everything is to be minimalistic and the big bastard interferes with these plans.
What would be the smallest I could get away with?
Does the charging system and the reg rec require this size battery and if so can I alter the reg rec to compensate for a smaller battery?
When it comes to electrics I have no fucking idea....I understand suck, bang and woosh but not white mans magic.

Shadowzone
16-10-2011, 06:42 PM
What is the CCA rating on the flattery? A smaller battery can be subbed in but it needs to have a CCA capacity large enough to turn the starter motor on the bike. Most of the new batteries will have a decent CCA rating too so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Redmohawk
16-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm running a gel cell from jacar electronics on betty (gpx600) starter/alt lights about the same as yours I've forgotten the AH rating but I think it was 7.2 Ah . Battery is 150 by 65 by 90 and if you want to shrink the size more there was a unit half the width that I'd bet you could squeeze two of in tight places. I run heated hand grips on high all winter for 2 hours a day monday to fri with lights on high beam (90 watt) with no issue after 2 years still going strong. Starts very well and has been used to turn the motor over for a considerable time while getting tuning right without starting (prob 5 min of use in 15 second bursts before starting to sag in voltage) and has been left to sit for 4 months at one time (not enought juice left to start but did turn over) then jumped and run till charged. Still ticking along fine.

xa-mont
16-10-2011, 07:40 PM
the shorai batteries are super small... like unbelivably small..

http://www.shoraipower.com

Redmohawk
17-10-2011, 05:05 AM
they do look good