PDA

View Full Version : repairable writeoff frame?? what to do?

xa-mont
14-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the deal is if i were to buy a frame from a repairable writeoff and get it reregistered? what would be process be? normally you have to take photos and whatnot of the damage and then repair it and have it VIVed... but if it is just a frame with no damage how does it work?

Cheers,
Trav

BANDITROD
14-10-2011, 11:54 AM
If it was a repairable write off it would still have to be viv checked as it is listed on the vin number mate

Booster
14-10-2011, 01:13 PM
And have receipts for every part put on the frame , all paint etc used, PITA but doable

Hillsy
14-10-2011, 02:43 PM
It's been a few years since I did mine, but if you did work on it yourself you had to sign a statutory declaration saying that you did the work (and list what you did IE paint tank, plastic weld fairings, etc) as well as having all the receipts for parts you bought.

xa-mont
14-10-2011, 02:46 PM
well here is the plan.

There is a VFR800 stat writeoff for sale up the road from my place for 2kish, plus i can get a rep writoff frame for 500... the stat writeoff is in pretty good nick and doesn't need a lot to get it up to scratch, so would a receipt for that be enough (assuming i don't buy other parts) to get past a VIV?

wackyrider
14-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Worth the risk. you could always re-sell the whole lot if u don't manage

xa-mont
14-10-2011, 03:11 PM
that's true... could just re-sell is as a repairable writeoff for more than the cost probably...

you wanna come look at the stat writeoff with me some time next week?

Wheels are in motion to get stock parts back. got a wheel with rotors coming from SA for free and i'll make a link pipe for the old muffler that i'll grab from dads this weekend... who knows... i might have a bike for NFR :P

Hillsy
14-10-2011, 04:14 PM
The only spanner in the works I can see is having a stat write-off engine in the rep write-off frame.

I don't know if they would let you register it ???

BANDITROD
14-10-2011, 04:52 PM
You can use a stat write off engine in a normal bike so it won't be a prob in a repairable write off

Large
14-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I did the same thing.

Bought a stat writeoff gsx1400 and a repairable write off frame and forks.

Bolted them together, took a few photos and got a few receipts.

et viola!

rego was no problem.

I suggest you take a few phots of the stat writeoff bike before you dismantle it.

Deano
14-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I was told if you are using 2nd hand parts you need to supply the vin of the donor bike. Then the donor bike will be listed as a stat write off. So no eBay parts unless they are new

I wouldn't bother tbh

wackyrider
14-10-2011, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by xa-mont

that's true... could just re-sell is as a repairable writeoff for more than the cost probably...

you wanna come look at the stat writeoff with me some time next week?

Wheels are in motion to get stock parts back. got a wheel with rotors coming from SA for free and i'll make a link pipe for the old muffler that i'll grab from dads this weekend... who knows... i might have a bike for NFR :P

sure no drama's. Give me a call when u going

RevHead
15-10-2011, 08:26 AM
what large said ,will work,,,all wreckers sell motors from stat write offs,,ive done a few jobs for customers just like your about to undertake ,as stated keep all receipts,piccis etc ,,and when you go to rego dont give the inspector grief ,just let him ask all the questions ,then youl be riding ,,i did a900 fireblade some yrs back it took 7 hours of running around on the inspection day but it was worth it ,it got regoed and it was wheelie good fun
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224597_1017606092589_1598225439_30077982_6033645_n .jpg
as you stated about selling it ,,i bought it not knowing it was on the repairable write off ,