PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

sharky
12-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Got a weird one....

Engine runs fine and spins outer basket of clutch.

By turning the inner splined shaft all 5 gears can be selected and rear wheel turns.

Clutch is 100% stock

When clutch lever is pulled in the plates move but do not disengage drive.

When lever is pulled in, and a gear selected it goes in with loud clunk..wheel is being driven hard.

As lever is released, engine dies. No electrical shut off fitted.

The only non stock part is the sprocket cover which the slave cyl mounts to....currently chasing a stock cover...

AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH [V]

Redmohawk
12-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Whats the bike mate ?

I'm assuming you've had the clutch apart and nothing wrong with clutch plates/shims ie warped shim plates or an extra shim put in etc ? From what your saying sounds like when clutch is engaged (clutch leaver out) something is loading up the motor besides the driven wheel ? Bearings clutch main shaft on fucked maybe ? Any play in main shaft when clutch leaver compressed ?

BANDITROD
12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
To me it sounds the same as when you select 2 gears in a car

Redmohawk
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM
That would lock up the rear though

sharky
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
It was old sticky oil
Washed the plates and Bingo

Redmohawk
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Hmmm someone dropped "stop smoke" in it perhaps ? Makes oil very sticky n thick might be worth doing a compression test on it just in case mate.

sharky
13-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Nah mate...was just old plates that had sat in the basket under compression for too long....
Motor runs and revs good and hard, no smoke.

Redmohawk
13-10-2011, 07:58 PM
top stuff

sharky
13-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Give you an idea of how sticky it was....(and I had had all the plates out prior to this)
I had the inner basket with the plate stack on, and holding the inner part in one hand and the outer tabs of the friction plates in the other, with no pressure plate fitted, I could not turn the plates...

Redmohawk
14-10-2011, 07:05 PM
sounds like someone put 10 year old lube that had the lid left off in there not oil lol