PDA

View Full Version : Repairing CF and tank dent

Seifer
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, Im finally getting round to finishing the repairs to my bike since it went for a slide at AFR last year.
First question is when it comes to the Carbon tail, what is the best way to repair this:
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/seiferage/IMAG0120.jpg

I will paint over the damaged hump area so making it look clean isn't necessary, will body filler adhere to that are well enough if I grind away all the damage?

Second question is for my tank, I dont have a photo at the mo but it has a dent at the front left where the handle bar bent and pressed into it. Whats the best way to pull out this dent, its probably 5mm-10mm deep. Im going to skin the tank in CF so again, near enough is good enough.

Ill try to get a photo up tonight.
Cheers.

Lewis Moto
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
For tank dents where filler will be used anyway - and as a backyard fix. See if you can get a length of solid rod about 2ft long and 12 - 16mm dia. File or grind the end until it is rounded and bung it down the filler. If you can reach the damaged area you may be able to push it out. Be careful you do not damage the filler neck by levering on it. I have managed to massage dents out of tanks this way and not require filler but see how you go.
Patience is the key and maybe even a bit of heat. A heat gun will give you enough to anneal the metal enough to assist but not cause problems with shrinkage or deformation.
If its a hard crease though you may be better off drilling a hole and inserting a hook and slide hammer. Once again go easy as the sheet metal is only 0.8 thick. K&H will be your friend after that. Solder the hole instead of welding.
HTH

I'm not a panel beaters arsehole but thats the basic fundamentals of it.

BANDITROD
11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I have seen a bloke tack weld a nut to a tank before and use a slide hammer to get a dent out it worked a treat but be carefull when welding the tank it is best to fill it with water first

RevHead
11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
when i painted the harley tank recently i had it full of water ,but it still gave a little explosion.,and when i used my little slide hammer it tore a little hole in it ,,,but like rod said be careful

Yella
11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
+1 with welding a nut/stud and pulling it out.

When welding in on fuel tank I purge the tank with argon first for 5 mins. When I brazed up the ruturn line in my tank I just left the argon flowing until finished

Booster
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
How well does water and freezing work, heard about it from several sources but never quite game to try it ??

Lewis Moto
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
If you dont have argon handy then fill it full of Co - Carbon monoxide. Comes free from every combustion engine.

There are so many ways to kill a cat other than stuffing strawberries up its arse obviously.