PDA

View Full Version : rear shock recomendations ?

Redmohawk
28-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Looking over the gimp project today (gsx400r frame rf600 motor vrf400 SSSA) and the original frame setup has a double compression setup on the rear (shock solid mounted to bottom of swing arm with compounder etc mounted above swing arm from frame) so shock is compressed by swing arm moving upwards as well as down from the compounder on top mount of shock.

Going to the SSSA uses more conventional compounder at the bottom shock and shock mounted to frame at top. This setup is do-able with little issue But ! I like the idea of an underslung shock under motor mount so thats the plan.

Now you know the plan , info/ideas please on recomended shock to use. I would like a shock with eather no external gas/oil reseviour or one with a hose between shock and res and good ajustability. The goal weight of the bike is a max of 145 kg with a lard ass rider (me of 85 kg ideally currently 94kg ) This is a low budget build so I'm looking for something secondhand of a late model 250 to 600 I'm guessing budget up to $500 max.

Redmohawk
28-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind this beast will be primarally used on country mountain roads of good to very average condition and will not be a track ridden bike.

crazymofo
29-09-2011, 08:18 AM
honda F4i rear shock comes to mind.

cheers.joe.

Redmohawk
29-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks mofo thats the shape/type I'm looking at but I didn't think the F4i shock is ajustable asside of spring preload ?

Redmohawk
29-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I correct myself , seems they have ajustable rebound/compression as well ! Excellent thanks and just picked one up for $60 ! bonus lol