PDA

View Full Version : Cam install-Respond asap... please!

madmaxman1986
05-04-2007, 12:56 AM
I just adjusted the valves on my '98 zx6r, put the cams in, lined all the marks up at TDC, put the tensioner in, etc, etc. but now when everything is installed and torqued down, it looks like the registration marks on the cams are a tad off.

What will this do when I start it?
Will it bend valves???
Should I even try to start it? [xx(]

All the valves are in spec and everything seems to be perfect, except those marks. The INTAKE cam mark is the one that is off. The exhaust mark is fine.

If I need to take it apart again, so be it. It just fuckin' snowed again here in Minnesota and it's about 0 outside.
And to think people were on bikes everywhere last week.
I gotta move outta this damn state.
-Cale
MMM

alfiestorm
05-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Take ya spark plugs out and turn the engine with a spanner/socket. this is usually done at the ignition pick up end. There is usually a big nut which is held in place with a smaller one turn the engine using the big nut and NOT the smaller one if you snap the smaller one you are in shit street.:(

Doing it this way will ensure that you do not bend any valves:) etc as you will be turning the engine slowly. I always do this when I have done this work on all the four strokes I have worked on. When you line up all the marks for the valve timing it can appear that they are out of alignment when things are tightened down but as long as you have followed all the instructions and nothing has slipped you will be ok :)

Benz
05-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Could it be the camchain is a little stretched? If it's only a little, chances are you'll be right,if it's less than one tooth out.There are variable camdrive gears available to set the cam timing slightly advanced for more bottom end, slightly retarded to get topend, so a little misalignment is actually tuning the motor, even if you don't want it!!
You might have the order of assembly wrong, and not allowed for the slack in the camchain to be taken up by the tensioner, which I assume is on the inlet cam side.
Count the links between the cams, make sure you have TDC on the right cylinder,not 180 out as this sometimes makes a difference. Other than that, somebody else may have more info for you. Sounds like you've got a bit of time to check it anyhoo....

madmaxman1986
05-04-2007, 01:58 AM
alf...theres only one big 18mm nut on the crank(pickup side) so no worries about breaking that. I'll take those plugs out and turn it over and listen for any metal on metal contact, and check down the holes with a light.

Benz...the camchain has about 18,000 hard-ridden miles on it.(actually NOT from me, prev owner rode it hard and crashed it a few times. I bought it CHEAP, know the yard owner:D)
So I knew the valves wern't going to be in spec and I definetly know the cam chain has not been replaced. They did install an aftermarket "APE" tensioner though...that's probably why all the EX valves were off, with similar, close readings.

AND YES, the cam tens. is on the IN side, but I took the cams out [u]three times</u> to line them up correctly. I adjusted the tooth placement while I pushed the tens. in with my thumb, so it should be super-close, I bet it's less than a tooth off from the looks of it.

30 rivets including the reg marks @ TDC, just like the factory manual says.
Just that damn Intake cam reg mark...it bothers me.:(

Thanks for the info guys.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm bring it up to the tune shop in a few days for a dynojet kit, carb sync and all-around spring tuning.
I'm also thing about a pro-shift kit, been told the're pretty great.

madmaxman1986
05-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I tore it back apart last night. (and I had it all put back together to the tank too[xx(]). But it was ALOT eaiser this time around, I took that thing apart fast!

SO...when I checked the timing out the second time, I was 1 whole tooth off. So this time when I put the cams back in, I put the manual tensioner in ans adjusted it with my finger while I lined up the reg. marks. It was LOADS easier than fighting with the cams. It only took one shot at it this time. [8D]

Thanks for your advice Alf and Benz, I had all of it in mind when I was working on it.
-Cale

Benz
06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
:) Glad to hear you got it right Cale. it may have been hell, but now you know, and won't get fooled again.;)