PDA

View Full Version : Flatsides vs Nitrous kit

EFE 1230
21-09-2011, 06:45 PM
So if I wanted to take my bandit drag racing what would be the best bang for the bucks, a 40HP nitrous kit or a set of FCR 39mm flatsides?

or both?????

I've got a tax return to blow!

Tony Nitrous
21-09-2011, 07:16 PM
How long and low's the bike going to be ?
Stock height/length Bandits are "entertaining" to launch at the strip
and I never found the need for more horsepower off the line.
Had my system on a toggle switch that turned the horn button into "FIRE!"
and a micro switch on the carbs. Hold the horn button in when I changed
up into 3rd, and the gas came in at full throttle 3rd and 4th gears.

A long arm or lower bike, THEN i'd be looking more ponys off the line.

BANDITROD
21-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I'd go for the carbs EFE you can get a nice increase in HP with them

Redmohawk
21-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd say leave the carbs alone if you do some real K's on your bike and stuff the Nos in then you have a nice ride day to day and bang what you want it. And yep might be a handfull in 1 st n 2nd I'd be looking at nothing till 3rd or you will mono or wheel spin enough to shit yourself.

And even efi wont give you 20 hp at the wheel let alone 40 like nos will.

Fish
21-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd start with the flat slides. Get them set up nice and you'll be laughing.

Dynomutt
22-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Personally I'd go for a set of RS Mikunis in 38mm size, they are much better for road use than the FCR. If your motor is a 1216cc lump then a set of RS40 will be fine for the strip. I prefer the adjustability of the accelerator pump on the RS series over the FCRs non adjustable pumps. If you can get hold of them go for a set of Mikuni TMR flatslides, they are pretty much the best carb you can get, especially when fitted with the Yoshimura MJN kit.
You can run a 50bhp shot of gas on a stock B12 with no issues, it all depends what you want from the bike if it's a road bike with the occasional foray onto the 1/4 mile then a small shot of gas will be fine. If you want a performance increase then a set of RS Mikunis and a DOT head will give you around the 135bhp mark with a good exhaust system. You can probably do the RS flatslides and a DOT head cheaper than the gas kit.
Grab a set of Busa pistons, and bore the block up to 81mm 1216cc, and fit a DOT head and skim the block 1.2mm and the head 0.75mm and you'll see well over 140bhp and around 85+lb/ft of torque with some RS38 flatslides, and have a stonkingly good road motor which will also give you some good times on the 1/4 mile, then add a sniff of the giggle gas, and have some fun.

EFE 1230
22-09-2011, 06:22 PM
always good info Dyno thanks.

what about a set of RS 34's, too small?

and what brand nos kits are the go?

Tony Nitrous
22-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I still like NOS/Holley.
The kits are quite dated but easy to use.
I used them in the UK because 90% of the racers did,
easy to swap jet's/filters/pumps/bottles etc
and everyone's lines fitted for refill's.
I like the 2.5-lb bottles but 2-lb is OK
(and fits under a Busa seat hump)
Cant see the point in anything under 2-lb.

Get a set of kitchen scales too. Mine look like
a diner plate and do old-Skool lb's and ounces.
Once you know the weight of an empty bottle its
easy to weigh and check ..what you have / been sold
/ before run's up the strip.

Only thing I didnt like about the NOS kits was the
nitrous lines went brittle after a lot of use.
Seen folk use braided lines.

Look at the angle you mount the bottle too. Many mount
them to look good or follow the bikes lines. Few
mount them right. Really the bottle should be vertical
or leaning a little forward. If the bottle has an internal
tube or upside down without, the liquid should be forced
towards the outlet on accelleration, not climb the bottle
away from it.

evilkarl
22-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I've got a 1157 bandit engine in my Slabby, (7/12). I tried running the standard 36mm CV's...crap. Ran my stock slabby 29mm FS...better. then went out and bought some new 40mm RS Mukini. Awesomeness. Bike went 5/10th quicker straight up. About the same increase you'd get from 40 shot i suppose.

Dynomutt
22-09-2011, 07:27 PM
RS34 would be great as a road bike with plenty of low and midrange torque, but would run out of steam at full revs due to the smaller venturi size. A flatslide carb will always flow more air than a CV carb of the same size and even a couple of mil bigger. This is because the CV carb has the butterfly and butterfly shaft creating a retriction, even at full throttle the butterfly shaft still forms a restriction, whereas the flatslides don't have that problem.