PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists Need More Respect!

Fight_fan
19-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Just read this article on Bikepoint! Sounds good, dont know how far it'l go tho...

A Victorian parliamentary inquiry has been told the government should consider training to remind "drivers how to share road space with vulnerable road users"

One of Victoria's largest law firms has told a Victorian parliamentary inquiry into motorcycle safety that the government should consider introducing mandatory or voluntary refresher courses for all Victorian motorists "to remind them how to share road space with vulnerable road users including motorcyclists".

"Victoria is experiencing a boom in motorcycle use, and attitudes to motorcyclists from the general motoring public and law and road safety agencies needs to change," Maurice Blackburn TAC principal John Voyage, said. "Maurice Blackburn has represented thousands of motorcyclists who have been seriously injured as a result of other road users failing to take adequate notice or care of riders on Victorian roads.

"It is essential that education for motorists is improved and one way to ensure this is would be the introduction of mandatory or voluntary refresher courses every five years.

"A voluntary scheme could be introduced with participants entitled to a reduction in the TAC premium when registering their motor vehicle.

"Motorcyclists are a legitimate and increasing presence on Victorian roads and more action needs to be taken to educate drivers, improve infrastructure and consult with the motorcycling committee."

Voyage said Maurice Blackburn had worked with a number of motorcycling peak bodies and individual riders to prepare the firm's presentation to the Victorian Parliament's Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety.

"Our submission outlines a number of areas where improvements could be made to bring together a holistic approach combining improvements in transport and road safety policy," he said. "Other road users need to accept that motorcyclists are entitled to share the existing road space in safe manner. Motorcyclists are not risk takers, these are Victorians who understand risk and take steps to mitigate it.

"A coordinated approach to bring together these key elements together is highly desirable to improve the safety of motorcyclists and other road users and reduce the impact of road trauma on our society and its associated financial costs."

Maurice Blackburn indentified a number of issues concerning motorcyclists on Victorian roads including:

An increase in the use of GPS, music and entertainment systems in motor vehicles is leading to drivers being distracted;
Motorcycle rider training does not take into account real traffic situations such as level crossings, tram tracks and other road infrastructure; and
Funding for motorcycle safety initiatives is funded by a levy posed upon riders and not from general revenue streams which fund other infrastructure such a bike and cycling paths.

Public submissions for the inquiry into motorcycle safety closed on July 22, 2011, and were received for 43 individuals and organisations.

Lewis Moto
19-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Piss and wind.
MB just spruiking themselves.
Hands up how many people have been fined for turning right over a single unbroken line in the last 12 months? Fuck all! Its not that they are ignorant of the road rules its more a fact that they dont even know they exist.....thats an oxymoron but you know what I mean
Manufactures of motor vehicles are as much to blame for selling the latest 4 wheeled bluetooth death machines. I yell at the telly everytime I see a small, red, 4cyl girly car advertised with the latest gizmo's....its become less about controling a ton of steel and more about "conectivity".

As for the yellow wheelie bins that get around Melbourne streets..... YOUR NOT IN MUMBAI ANYMORE MOTHER FUCKER!

Shadowzone
21-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Aido - you can turn into or out of a property over a single unbroken white line.

You Cannot perform a U-Turn, or overtake over a single unbroken white line.

So nobody will ever be fined for turning across one because it's not illegal.

Unless of course you ask you local constabulary to knock you off for it. I'm sure they'd happily oblige you then! :D:D:D:D:D

rock hard
23-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Seriously i think its part of the australian culture..by that i mean that is that a large majority of people never go anywhere near a motorcycle whilst they are growing up,so they have absolutly no idea about riding,mixing it with the tin tops they start off with a Hyundi excel..drive around whilst txting and generaly have no idea and dont give a toss about anyone else on the road.they change lanes like they are in a video game and look about 2 meters in front of their bonnet and dont look anywhere else, and the best bit is that when they do something dangerous and stupid in front of you they then give you the finger..in europe i noticed that as we came up behind a car on a nice piece of twisty mountain road the car in front would stick the blinker on and pull over and wave you past..absolutly awesome..and it was explained to me that because so many young people start on o motorcycles first at 15 & 16 then when they move up to a car/family etc.they have an understanding what motorcycling is about!!so my point is good luck getting your fellow motorists to take care around you..you have to try and think for them as they are plainly incapable..its sad that in victoria in the past there used to be a training program where they took small yamaha 100s and got the young teens to learn roadcraft...it has been stopped due to lack of funding and also the kids were enjoying them selves to much...il go and put my soapbox back in the cupboard..see ya!

psycobilly
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
in queensland you have to have your car "p's" for a year before you can even apply for a bike learners. to achieve that you have to do a documented 100 hours as a learner over 12 months, then pass a test. no wonder teens are avoiding motorcycles, they are almost legislated out of existence! without putting the population on a bike at some stage there will never be an understanding of what we endure daily as "invisible" road users. blowing smoke up a politician's arse will never change the poor attitude australian drivers have for australian riders. look after yourselves because there is no-one else out there looking after you!

HOS
08-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Never has been any respect for motorcyclists in UK.
Only kicking respect into other people works from experience.