PDA

View Full Version : Bike for charity - group effort

Lewis Moto
15-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Didnt know what section to put it in so stuck it here in the free for all category
Putting an idea up for discussion.
Build a bike for charity and raffle or auction it off.

You blokes all make out your a bunch of hard bastards but it is often shown that your just a bunch Aussies that are more than willing to give a chop out to anyone in need.

The idea is simple. Find a low cost but mostly complete motorcycle, Get it on the road with mild or wild modifications, flog it off through a raffle or auction, reimburse those that have laid down cash and donate the profit to a worthy charity.
Most of us dont have the funds to complete current projects, if we do then we lack the time or skills to be able to so a combined effort might see a project bike done in double time.
Labour is cheap...particularly if you enjoy working on bikes. So hands up from those that work can be farmed out to.
Parts may not be so cheap but some of us have connections to get wholesale or have secondhand bits in the shed.
Perhaps to start out we source something under $1500 to start with and go from there
So the Charity is to be decided.?
I suggest Beyond Blue....I have found my way back into the garage and annoying you blokes thanks to them.

Discuss or tell me to fuck off.

I'm done editing and trying to re-word it. Thats my idea and my basic grasp of literature.

BANDITROD
15-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I'd be more than happy to help out labour wise but my funds are tied up with other projects at th mo

Shadowzone
15-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I can donate some bucks. (probably only $20 and a set of mirrors) but it's a start.

sharky
15-09-2011, 06:11 PM
DON'T DO IT
They started this idea on Choppers Australia...all full of gusto to build a bike and raffle it for charity/flood appeal...then the reality set in...been months now and nothing has happened...everyone has good intentions at the start but I'll bet my ass to Jacktar that it will fizzle out...

Lewis Moto
15-09-2011, 06:23 PM
hmmmmmmm.
Just not 5 mins ago picked up a bike on fleabay. (Not telling yet)
So If Banditrod, Shaddowzone and meself actually follow through then your arse is Jacktars....
Now theres some incentive boys.

BANDITROD
15-09-2011, 06:28 PM
That would be a sight for sore eyes

sen
15-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I can donate funds/parts/etc, and reckon it's a good idea. Just need to make sure the core team are willing to see it through (i've seen similar projects fizzle and waste everyones cash, but i've also seen it go really really well and raise tonnes of money for charity)

Lewis Moto
15-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah for sure.....Sharky I take your advice on board in all seriousness and that is why I want to discuss it first.
There is a good core here at ASF and having said that then the team shall be decided upon. I'm not saying I'm going to do the managing or building but that is to be decided by those who choose to get involved.
There is also alot of talent here at ASF that are itching to play with bikes but life, family, work get in the way of their own projects so as a group I think it could be done. The "How" needs to be nutted out.

BANDITROD
15-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Well what would be the weapon of choice

Lewis Moto
15-09-2011, 06:52 PM
GeePeeZed 550
I now own it....shhhh dont tell the missus.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230670116740

I'm liking this
http://new.twinlinemotorcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/16-1982-Kawasaki-GPZ550-Cafe_screen.jpg

BANDITROD
15-09-2011, 07:19 PM
That's the go mate

RevHead
15-09-2011, 09:30 PM
il donate paint n materials n my time

kevkatana
15-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I should be able to donate some <s>twisting the tops off stubbies</s> spanner time! Maybe help out with some bits and bobs.

Redmohawk
15-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah , I can sand blast anything that needs a clean up and can trim seats etc. Time is free , might help with cash if needed parts are prop a possability also.

boris
15-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I will offer my services to do the wiring and may be able to donate some parts that I have left.I think that is an awesome gesture Aido suicide is a very fucked up option and if we can get more blokes the help they need then I'm in.

RevHead
16-09-2011, 07:22 AM
ive bought shit loads of BLACK paint so im good to go

boris
16-09-2011, 07:28 AM
what no orange?

kev@vcm
16-09-2011, 07:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

Yeah , I can sand blast anything that needs a clean up and can trim seats etc. Time is free , might help with cash if needed parts are prop a possability also.

ya beat me to it big fella , will offer $$$ thats all i can do now , top idea guys

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
16-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Im in for whatever guys, let me know. Not very talented but keen to help with dollars and moral support. Worthwhile cause in my books.

crazymofo
16-09-2011, 09:20 AM
if the idea flies, i'd be happy to donate garage/shop space and my labour to the project come november, when i move into my own workshop and salter engineering officially opens its doors.

cheers.joe.

xa-mont
16-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm happy to help out with effort and trying to make any parts needed... probably won't help too much with cash though.

RevHead
16-09-2011, 10:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by boris

what no orange?
dick head,:D

Iceman
16-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I can help out with smartarse remarks and illinformed, spur of the moment decisions.

damo1
16-09-2011, 01:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

il donate paint n materials n my time

Even though i dont like you much i'm happy to help out in this department.

If your donating the materials, paint and time i'll Stick my hand up for the painting of it.

Think up a theme and we can do a one off custom job on it.

RevHead
16-09-2011, 01:50 PM
what have you in mind Damo,for the stlye

bladehunter
16-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I suffer from depression (not after sympathy) , I'm not real smart or talented but can lift heavy things. I'd really like to help out. Even if it's just running some bits & pieces from Sydney down to where ever, be a good excuse to take 'lil Doohan for a road trip.

Redmohawk
16-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Kev You trim the seat , I'll pay for the job to be done at your standard rate and postage up n back. That will be my cash input for a start, Then all I need to do is spin a spanner or blast some shit at its rusty bits lol

kev@vcm
16-09-2011, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

Kev You trim the seat , I'll pay for the job to be done at your standard rate and postage up n back. That will be my cash input for a start, Then all I need to do is spin a spanner or blast some shit at its rusty bits lol

exellent stuff mate , it wont cost a cent either , all my services will be free for this , and i will throw in some dosh as well , glad to see we can work together :)

Lewis Moto
16-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Giddyup.
Lots of eager punters willing to help and that is a huge indictment of the quality of the membership here at ASF. Humbled that in short order so many are willing to participate.
There is still alot to nut out though and before anything happens at all there needs to be a plan on how this idea is to progress.
It needs to be thought out and everything considered. Building a special might be the easy bit but there are things to consider.
- How is it to be offloaded and funds raised?
- Who is going to oversee and manage the whole project from start to finish?
- Who is going to be responsible for financial control?
- Who will be responsible for media liaison? - If this gets going then it needs to be considered that it is to raise funds and awareness for Beyond Blue so who will be the spokesperson to Australian motorcycle media and the rest?
- What is the goal?
- How are all the ego's going to be kept in check when everybody has different ideas? - not being a smart arse but it needs to be considered.
- How do Beyond Blue feel about us doing this?
- Are there any retailers out there willing to get on board to assist with the project.

There is alot more than all that to consider and there needs to be a clear plan and path to travel so that an end result is achieved and everybody walks away happy. Without a plan, a timeline and objectives then it will fail.
So keep the enthusiasm going and lets see where this goes.

Redmohawk
16-09-2011, 07:37 PM
What's an Ego ? One of those fancy European bikes ?

I'm an ex mental health worker (now only nuts) , down your way is a mob called Mi fellowship (private mob gov funded based in melb, frankston I think head office is) they will prob throw us a bone of some sort. And might help communicate with the head shrinkers up higher. The is a fellow here on ASF that is currently working in the system , He might be interested in some sort of stab at helping (or not) in that area a little.

Mi fellowship has fingers in big pies, and friends with big pockets (some of which ride bikes, have silly amounts of money, and think a stock BMW is hot !) and look longingly at cafe style bikes while riding about on there stock white BMW's dreaming of drinking coffee with a sexy hot ASF built and stamped bike to mentall increase the size of there manhood. Bound to be able to help move this sexy beast in a auction at a charity etc .

Bad news old chum your organising this show , you started the idea we blame you or jacktar depending on how big a fuck up it is.

ALBI
16-09-2011, 10:57 PM

i reckon a great big cock on it !!!

lolol how about black on black with the "blue ASF logo" hmmm??

damo1
17-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Maybe we could do a panelling effect with rips and tears in it??

Or just go old school Solid colors/ pin striping something like that??

I'm thinking something from the 70's maybe- i guess it depends on what the bike looks like when it's finished will determin which way to go.

Where you at Pete??

damo1
17-09-2011, 11:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

I take it by this comment you want first ride on it!

sen
17-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I know the head of Reachout, the suicide prevention charity. Dunno how that can be used, maybe he'd be up for promoting the auction for us when it comes to that.

I also know a few other big charity people who could help get the word out. And I'm happy to take care of all the promotion if needed of me (I'm an IT project manager that works mostly with corporate branding and web presences). Could make a small website for it, promote on Facebook etc, contact media, and run the auction on eBay. All stuff I've done plenty of.

ALBI
17-09-2011, 03:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by damo1

quote:Originally posted by ALBI

I take it by this comment you want first ride on it!

nah mate ill leave that ride for AZRAEL takes one to ride one !!

Snaffler
17-09-2011, 06:48 PM
i have a champion tail & seat that i got with my bultaco tank.
im happy to donate it to you if you want to use it?
also im not far from melton and if you wizz the forks out i will throw some new seals and oil in them for you

http://i.imgur.com/kmvjV.jpg

JackTar
17-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Given the amount of money this thing has the potential to raise ie not a great deal, you might consider a much smaller charity, I only say this because to big charities things like this are a drop in the ocean because of all the funding they already get. I handed a cheque for $3,000 to a small charity the other week that helps look after disabled kids to give their parents a break and I haven't seen so many tears since I saw ET at the movies. In contrast I was involved with a donation of $30,000 to a large, well known cancer foundation and they asked if we could just mail it to them or put it straight into an account.

Lewis Moto
17-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Wheels are turning....clearly.
Everyone wants to be involved as can be seen and Jacktar your above comment has merit.
There is no-one here with the surname Tuttle and so building a special and giving it away is a very big deal.
I am concerned that although there is alot of enthusiasm and eagerness to participate that when it comes to the crunch it may well fizzle out.

So what about a dry run?
There is a worthy charity not 12 inches from your nose ---- ASF.
I believe that the expenses to operate the forum are growing and the costs born from AFR are quite large. So before trying to show the world what you can do then why not fundraise for ASF by contributing towards a build that can be raffled off internally? If there is an excess made then ASF as a whole makes a donation towards an outside worthy charity.
If it cant be done by yourselves for yourselves then it will never be feasible.

sen
18-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I think the main merit to this idea though, is that guys without money can put in elbow grease or parts, and "create" value through that...

Redmohawk
18-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I think If we raffle this beast off for ASF. The boss should be asked if this is doable from a legal standpoint, Don't need the boss being taxed or fined for an illegal raffle.

RevHead
18-09-2011, 05:45 PM
i reckon retro 70s ,on it has to be bold and scream ASF,

JackTar
18-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Hate to play devils advocate here but if it is auctioned off for ASF this = nil advertising and nil interested other parties. Sorry guys, I know Si needs money to run this forum but I can't see this working if we are the only ones taking part in the auction.

sharky
18-09-2011, 06:34 PM
The other thing to consider is legal liabilty....
Just suppose the winner of said raffle bike crashes and its found to be something defective in the workmanship...who wears that one ?

Why not have a huge whip round round and buy something huge that we can then raffle off...like the socket set from Deano but on a grander scale....

Redmohawk
18-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Simple From a legal standpoing on the bike condition , its raffled unroadworthy , winner supplys roady then onus is on who does the roadworthy.

Elapid
18-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Just a thought, if raffled off you could look after one of our own- no one has mentioned the Tadpole fund in a while. Great idea fellas. Hope it works out.
Cheers,
Kris.

Fight_fan
19-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I'l help by drinking copious ammounts of beer & pointing at stuff!

xa-mont
19-09-2011, 09:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

Fuck you are just SUCH a good bloke! :P

Fight_fan
19-09-2011, 10:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by xa-mont

Hey man, thats pretty much how I'v built my bikes in the past... Seems to work ok! ;)

Seriously tho, i'l chip in some parts or something! What ever is needed!

xa-mont
19-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Hey man, thats pretty much how I'v built my bikes in the past... Seems to work ok! ;)

And it worked fucking well... I wish my bike could turn out that good from just drinking beer... maybe i'm holding the stubbies wrong?

Fight_fan
19-09-2011, 10:44 AM

And it worked fucking well... I wish my bike could turn out that good from just drinking beer... maybe i'm holding the stubbies wrong?

U need to be using an ASF stubby cooler with the arse torn out of it so it fits in ur pocket when u go to get more beer! [^]

BANDITROD
19-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm still happy to help out here and as for the legal side of things ......if you crashed a bike you got off someone second hand and something was found to be faulty I have never in my life heard of the previous owner/bike shop being sued or thrown in jail for such a thing I think that's just a big load of shit to be honest the would have to outlay a lot of time/money to prove such a thing .......it sounds like the pussies way out to me

Lewis Moto
19-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Its all worth considering though Rod and I was waiting for someone else to bring it up.
So keep coming with ideas....you need to think negative a bit and forsee what problems might occur so that they can be planned for in the begining.

Tony Nitrous
19-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Fixed.

quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

I think that's just a big load of shit to be honest
.......it sounds like the <s>pussies</s> American's way to me

BANDITROD
19-09-2011, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Aido

Its all worth considering though Rod and I was waiting for someone else to bring it up.
So keep coming with ideas....you need to think negative a bit and forsee what problems might occur so that they can be planned for in the begining.

Very true

Redmohawk
19-09-2011, 06:28 PM
So whats the goal then ? Tadpole Fun is a good idea. Is one of our groups son (I never met the bloke in life but think its a great idea) And if we are going to start something like this On an Annual basis or something this would be a great start. If we only raise the cost of the parts in the sale/auction/raffle of the bike it will still go a long way to help the little fella and his mum.

Does anybody know the legalitys of an open to the public raffle ? I know I could sell at least 20 tickets just at work in my shed for a well built cafe racer at say $10 a ticket with a one in 1000 chance of winning. Thats $10K boy n girls.

Lewis Moto
19-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Well you were delegating duties before so LOL

Thats your job Bitch! LOL
Go find out how to run a raffle.
The prize is X and the recipient of funds is Y = Z
Find Z

xa-mont
19-09-2011, 06:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Aido

Well you were delegating duties before so LOL

Thats your job Bitch! LOL
Go find out how to run a raffle.
The prize is X and the recipient of funds is Y = Z
Find Z

found it!

Lewis Moto
19-09-2011, 06:47 PM
You could have done better than that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

Redmohawk
19-09-2011, 06:54 PM
K shall be done

Iceman
19-09-2011, 07:42 PM
if the value of the prize is more than $500 the you need a permit to run a raffle

Redmohawk
19-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Info found , we have to apply for a monor gaming permit cost is about $40 per raffle must be a gain of under $10,000 total and we have to attain certification as a charity ! All paperwork downloaded , will have a chat with the boss as this pertains to ASF as a whole not just us monkeys in here. If Si gives the go ahead will apply on behalf of ASF, and we can do it all leagal like.

Reading through the info , seems we should qualify as a legit charitable community organisation !

RevHead
19-09-2011, 09:26 PM
righto pull it apart n post the shit to all of us to fix paint blast repair etc ,im good to go,

Redmohawk
20-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Bad news guys , it comes down to a few rules the Gov have decided that will limit the legal ways we could do this. Basicly we could be registered as a legal club with AGM's regular face to face meetings and nominated/elected club members and do it for at least 12 months before registering for status as a commuity/charity group suitable. Is about the only way we could fly this ourselves.

Another option is to find some like minded wackers with the said status already , one possabilty would be Rapid ? And ask if we can ride on there coat tails , with the added possablity of some free publicity. Maybe a small Photo and blurb in fighting words each month ?

BANDITROD
20-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Well that's shit

rod185651
20-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Dam! Does this mean Sharky's arse is safe?

BANDITROD
20-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah the dirty old pom was right ...lol

sharky
21-09-2011, 06:47 AM
I checked the Choppers Australia topic last night.....
They were all full of it at the start....
Last post was Aug 5th asking if there was any progress....No reply to it...

Oh, and Phew....[:I]

Redmohawk
21-09-2011, 07:16 PM
This can still happen , fuck the law !

Snaffler
21-09-2011, 08:06 PM
do it with in the forum only with fine print that can be barely seen

Redmohawk
21-09-2011, 08:13 PM
lol

sen
22-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Best way to do it is let the charity you plan on supporting run the actual auction. We build the bike, hand it to a the charity, they auction it off and keep the money.

They're already setup for this sort of thing.

damo1
22-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Build it put it on ebay sell it and just hand over the funds.

That way there is no raffle it's just a sale.

BANDITROD
22-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Well I'll leave that stuff up to someone else I will still be more than happy to help build the fucker

sharky
22-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Spoke to a couple of leading charities today and they both said the same thing...
As long as the vehicle is 100% legal (to relevant ADR's for the build year of the donor) and roadworthy no problem, inc any modifications being certified.
They cannot accept anything that is in any way illegal....

Iceman
22-09-2011, 05:56 PM
which pretty much rules out anything that's gunna be made here.

StuNVA
22-09-2011, 07:32 PM
What about.

You set a time and a team for a build, ala "Monster Garage" type of thing. Everyone meets up for a long weekend or a week or something, it could be a tag team thing maybe ??

Get HoonTV or someone to do a youtube movie of the build, start to finish, a real good job, get it to go viral on the net as soon as possible.

Stick the fucker on ebay with a huge yarn, youtube link ect.

Tadpole fund sounds good.

ALBI
22-09-2011, 09:46 PM
^^^^^^mate that sounds the snizzle^^^^^^^

Lewis Moto
24-09-2011, 07:33 AM
http://www.auctionbikebuild.com/index.html

Some food for thought.

Redmohawk
24-09-2011, 09:40 AM
You taken delivery of the bike yet mate?