PDA

View Full Version : turbo 954rr

Slain
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
have been considering some forced induction for my 954 for a while now. at the moment im aiming for mid 9s on stock wheelbase all motored.
Once i hit that i have been toying up with using a garrett t28, blitz bov, billet plenum, digital boost controller.
it will be a non intercooled low boost setup semi street legal (wont be approved, but will still run muffler and hid the filter etc)
Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips or advice on what to look out for.
engine has 21000km on it and only been thrashed for 10 of that
Cheers,
Marc

Booster
04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
How much power do you want? gt28 is biggish for your motor esp for low boost apps but would work.t25 may be better. don't need a big dollar BOV any ebay one will work ok, but external wastegate is worth considering, internals can creep a little , in moderation this can be good but too much and BANG
Billet plenum where do you get one of them for a Honda? lots of fabricated alloy around but i'm only aware of 2 billet cnc machined plenums available both for Busa's.
Eboost works well , also AMS1000 from NLR in the US ,nice to get 1 that steps up boost on a gear basis.

Slain
04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
aiming for around 200-220hp
i was thinking t28 off s13 silvia because i can get a couple for free, cheap to rebuild and good flange pattern regarding upgrades, would keep standard internal gate for money aspects but more than likely use an aftermarket actuator
billet plenum from mr turbo stateside, still waiting to hear back on price. but if he is big $$ then i will make an alloy one.
i already have a blitz bov sitting aorund the garage
as for boost controller, have had good experiances with old school hks ebc so was considering using one of them especially considering they are cheap in japan (mate is a importer for rice parts)
for filter i will probarbly run a hks foam or trust airnx
any real things im missing?

Booster
04-04-2007, 04:04 PM
There not my first choice as the ceramic exhaust wheel has a history of bailing out but at modest boost levels you should be ok and having a spare helps.
Wastegate hole can be ported to increase flow , not just diameter but flowed so the gasses make the turn easier,
haven't used the hks controler are they user friendly ?any particular features ??
I'd stick to a cotton gauze air filter , Rocket have sold lots to me and i'm yet to think there overpriced, and there is a huge range of shapes, most i use i can keep under the fairing.
What are you doing for fueling ?
Have you talked to others with turbo Blades?? Brett in Townsville, is usually happy to talk about his.

Slain
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
hks are a pig to use at first, but once you get a handle on them they are good. never had one spike, overboost warning built in, digital boost gauge, high/low button settings (completly adjustable), boost cut function (programable) but most importnat they are cheap :P
fueling will be bosch 040 at this stage with a sard or malpassi reg, stock injectors should hopefully cope. using a power commander 3 also.
im going to give brett a call,mate i work with had his turbo busa redone by him and might even get the exhaust manifold off him as 929/954 are the same engine, jst different bores.

chopiesel
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
i dont know why you would spend the money for a bov for a bike, wouldnt getting a quickshifter be better?

Booster
04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Army guy hey , Say hi to Grant. Some of that stuff Brett fitted came from my stock of spares.
Pc3 and 1:1 regs don't work all that well unless you wire the tps signal for the pc to a 2 or 3 bar map sensor, that would put 14.7 psi as 100%, atmospheric as 50% with a 2 bar sensor. probably best to use a Malpassi 1.7:1 reg to ensure you have enough fuel with std injectors.

Slain
04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
yeah im an aj fire fighter at oakey.
when he isnt too busy with his course im gonna take his fairings off and have a good look over his setup to get a couple more ideas.
okay so ihave to make a few adjustments to the original plan but it seems feasible?
for the oil line im just going to tap into the engine case.
i really want around 220hp RELIABLE to play with, as the stage my blade is getting at is either nitrous or big bore and either one is big $$$$ and makes the bike less streetable so hence the turbo route has always been in the back of my mind. Is there anything im missing before i go stripping the bike down and measuring up?
i already have an underseat pipe done on my bike using 2.5 inch pipe from where the headers join from 4 to 1 so i figured i can keep the link pipe, run 2.5 inch piping down the left side of the bike under the sump like the standard system and it should be completly stealth, because it wont be transport approved.

Booster
04-04-2007, 07:24 PM
220 , that will probably be ~12- 15psi, need to decompress, i personaly like to hpc coat the pistons after race type prep to reduce the chance of detonation ~$30 per piston.
Clutch will be a problem, ask Grant about his blade clutch.
if you can't adapt the likes of a blackbird setup you may need a lockup (reminds me of something i promised someone at Dubbo [:I])
2.5 " underseat will be cool,
220 will also need a longer swingarm or you will be riding a pogostick, at 12 psi my old gsxr 750 would launch the front if i hit a bump at 230kph in 5th , current owner put a busa swingarm on it and it tamed it heaps, only 40mm difference , my Busa has a 75mm longer arm , slowed cornering a little but i prefer it now as i can put so much more power down .

Slain
04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
ok cool, can i decompress the engine like a car by using a thicker head gasket or will i need new pistons?
yeah clutch is always a worry, thinking of just heavier springs because i cant find a lock up kit for one but black bird is a good idea, will look into it.
as for the swingarm i am wanting to run some 6 inch slots on my stock arm so i can keep it normalish wheelbase for street riding and stretch it for the strip, have straps and link already.

ozkat
04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

(reminds me of something i promised someone at Dubbo [:I])
I reckon that would have been me mate ;) No hurry tho.

Booster
04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Glad you remembered Oz :D mail sent ..

Slain Some bikes can fit a spacer under the cyls , easier to keep a headgasket together if its not too thick, others have no option but for a thicker gasket and/or low comp pistons,
Most modern bikes run into the same probs as the busa, piston pin is too close to the head to have a big dish in the piston , the fix is a cyl spacer and piston with dish , keeps the correct piston crown/head relationship for squish (cylinder turbulence) that reduces detonation problems.

ozkat
04-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks mate.

Booster
05-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Blade clutch springs
http://www.mc-xpress.com/ check here in the turbo parts section.