PDA

View Full Version : oil additives?

MTBEERWAH
03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
hello,

i`m always a bit suss on oil additives, so has anyone ever heard of
X-1R?
according to anything i`ve ever read(whether it be propaganda),its supposed to be better than sliced bread. You can add it to wet clutches because it clings to metal,and doesn`t mix with the oil..apparently, anybody know?

fimpBIKES
03-09-2011, 10:26 PM
oil additives are bad

El_Hefty
03-09-2011, 10:55 PM
what fimp said...

if your using a good quality oil you will never need to put in and addative.

Unless of course youve got a noisy big end and you want to quieten it down then maybe some Lucas or similar might be ok, but for general use avoid like the plague, snake oil is all the vast majority are.

MTBEERWAH
03-09-2011, 11:42 PM
typically i do avoid,and i would never use in my bike,but car has a noisy hydraulic lifter,and was looking at alternatives.

ALBI
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
what type of car ??

oil additives are only good for shit oil or shit engines!!!

use good oil and all additives needed are in it !!
also what grade oil is in car?? how many klicks on engine ??

MTBEERWAH
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
suzuki vitara 2.5L v6 01, oil changed every 5000km religously, 161000km now, shell helix HX7 10W-40, Had suzi`s for 20yr and never had a prob with one yet,until now,possibly!
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

what type of car ??

oil additives are only good for shit oil or shit engines!!!

use good oil and all additives needed are in it !!
also what grade oil is in car?? how many klicks on engine ??

ALBI
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
hmmm valvolene and castrol both reconmend 10w-30 or 10w-40,looks like it may be a dud lifter??
you may have to pull the cams and pull the bucket lifter ,you then have to push on the inside of bucket and see if you have about 2-3 mm freeplay if rock hard !! pull it appart and clean out old oil as it may have blead up "now a solid lifter" re-assemble them re-fit and try again!!!

hyndais sufer a lot from that never had a vitara do it ?? otherwise go to a head bloke and get a new lifter??

MTBEERWAH
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
basically this is what i was going to do. I never use shit in oil extras,but had heard some things about the above mentioned shit, and thought i`d ask the ? before doing the nasty. All sounds like a pain in the arse,and a bit disheartening,but gotta do what i gotta do!
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

hmmm valvolene and castrol both reconmend 10w-30 or 10w-40,looks like it may be a dud lifter??
you may have to pull the cams and pull the bucket lifter ,you then have to push on the inside of bucket and see if you have about 2-3 mm freeplay if rock hard !! pull it appart and clean out old oil as it may have blead up "now a solid lifter" re-assemble them re-fit and try again!!!

hyndais sufer a lot from that never had a vitara do it ?? otherwise go to a head bloke and get a new lifter??

ALBI
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
dont i know it im in the same basket so to speeak with my handbrake
just told her hey can i use $4000 to do the donk ?? dont think i heard the pin drop yet

MTBEERWAH
06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
cars suck, if everything wasn`t so far away in Australia, i`d walk