PDA

View Full Version : Question about Keihin Carburetors

03gixxerpilot
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
What is the diffrence between the keihin CR flat slide down draft carbies and the side draft carbies, is it in the fuel bowls or is in the bodies of the carbies.

Cheers Clive

Redmohawk
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Both mate

03gixxerpilot
01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
ok so compleatly diffrent carbies.

thanks for the info.

Cheers Clive

Dynomutt
02-09-2011, 04:25 AM
The FCR carbs in downdraught have an angled section added in between the carb body and the float chambers which angles the float bowls but also has the required galleries for the fuel to travel through to the needle jet, many parts are interchangable including slides, needles, throttle bars accelerator pumps and several other parts.

03gixxerpilot
02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Ok Dynomutt
excuse my sever lack of knowledge in this department, ( i have work with these carbies befor ) so are these angled sections removible to make the down draft into a side draft, and if so, dose it require new float chambers.

Cheers Clive

Redmohawk
02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Nope you get one or the other, making set from the other not an option.

Dynomutt
03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
As mohawk has said they are not removable, so you need to get the specific ones for your application. Personally I prefer the Mikunis over the Keihins, both RS series and TMR Mikunis have accelerator pumps which can be adjusted to alter the point at which they activate and also the duration that they are pumping. whereas the Keihins can only be altered by lengthening or shortening the plunger rod which only alters the point at which they start pumping not the duration of the pump. If you can get hold of a set use the TMR Mikunis they re the best carb on the market, especilly when equipped with the Yoshi MJN kit. You can pick them up quite reasonably priced on the Yahoo auction site in Japan, mine came in at just under £500 shipped to the UK. There are several companies that will act as an intermediary and handle the shipping, they usually charge a small percentage of the purchase price.

DCRacing
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Dyno, on the subject of the TMR Mikuni's and shipping out of Japan, Who do you use, would you recommend anybody.
Thanks James

Dynomutt
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Just have a look on Yahoo auctions but if you look at www.japanauctioncenter.com they will act as intermediary for a small percentage