PDA

View Full Version : ZX-2R build

336LJ
29-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey all, I dont know if this is the right place to post but I need some help. I Scored a c model ninja (1994) and it was all smashed up. I got the frame straightened and its pretty much a complete bike all bar the front fairings etc, the bike runs really well, I am just chasing after the clamp on headlight kits, and bar end indicator/mirror kits, where would the best place be to get these in brisbane? im on the southside, Also has anyone ever seen a street fightered up 250c or is it considered a waste of time, considering I paid nothing for the bike and its barely cost me $1000 to get it almost finished (fairing is EXPENSIVE :( ) I figured I could also get it on the road faster. thanks for any help

catchmeifyoucan
29-03-2007, 10:45 PM
welcome mate, theres some guys on here that do some pretty good wheelies and tricks on 250's, have a look around for the 2fity stunt crew...
but id say its a waste of time, unless your gonna sell it straight away and buy a bigger bike...

madmaxman1986
29-03-2007, 10:56 PM
it's not really ever going to be street shredder, but it would be a great daily commuter, good mileage, easy to ride and CHEAP. I'd say go the rat route to keep the costs down since you won't get much back if you want to sell it. The wreckers are good for parts, instead of buying new stuff which adds up fast.

cutcat
30-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey LJ, welcome. I have some ZXR250 parts floating around, so drop me a line if you are chasing something.[8D]

vtr420
30-03-2007, 02:45 PM
hey dude get into it i have a vtr with many a mod does me well as a daily rider / stunter
there are pics of my bike floting around on here just look for threads started by me as i am at work and cant post up pics of the bike

336LJ
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey cheers for the feedback guys.
Well originally I was after a 636. then I saw the new R6 and since I could get finance for the R6 without a deposit I started the proceedure to get one.. well one thing after another (found out I was being scammed like you wouldnt beleive.) and also finding out that my workmates family owns a yamaha dealership that could save me about 10 grand in the long run.. I put that on hold.. as in scrunch up the contract and bin it thanks !!!!

I need the bike on the road as a daily, A project car and work car dont mix !!!! I picked the 250 up for free, it was smashed to peices and I got the frame sorted for about 900.. and a new battery and thats all it has cost me. If anything I was hoping to ride it around untill I saved some cash, sell it, put the funds together and get on an 06 model 636..
I have had the bike running and did a few laps around the block and its awesome, suprising actually for a 250.

I got down to a few bike shops and found a cheap front end (bout 80 bucks ) and some indicators, I wasnt a fan of these types of front ends but I dont mind this one, I am just having trouble mounting the guages, I have taken them out of the original bracket and am thinking about using the fork mounted clamps to hold them in place.

My next question is, What are the legalities of having things poking out, for example, my radiator kind of sticks out a bit at the sides (maybe its just me) and also, do you have to have a front mud guard.. I think the original one would look a bit funny on it so I was thinking about trimming it in line with the tyre wall to keep it nice n slim

Also handle bars.. I saw the aftermarket ones on a site and noticed the 250 has seperate bars off each fork, not a one peice unit. I followed an R6 up the expressway just after I got my bits n peices and noticed how much more upright he sat .. its funny how many streetfighters you notice once you start getting into them !

Gix11
02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Welcome aboard mate. This area isn't my strong point so run with the other lads mate. You'll get it sorted. Cheers.

War_Hound
03-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Miks Moto has a wrecked one so he might be able to help you out with it .. when he was spraying my bike I took it as he had it up for sale .. as a daily commute for work .. and took it for a bit of a strap the thing goes when you wring its neck 8) .. I gave it back to him when my bike was done and he sold it a week later .. couple of weeks after that I saw it smashed up back in his shop .. I dont know if he is keeping it .. or if he is selling it on .. or what condition its in .. but give him a call he might be able to help you source some parts .. I dont have his number handy but it is Miks Moto Loganholme 8) .. Next to Agis riding school

fimpBIKES
03-04-2007, 08:34 AM
there was a good thread the other day about mounting gauges
just do some searches (top right) and i think you will find all the info u need

pretty much all naked watercooled bikes have the radiators sticking out the sides
just go walk around a bike shop and check out the nakeds, u should be able to figure some stuff out from that

another thing to remember is that these little 250's (particularly in NSW)
REALLY hold there value
i have a mate in sydney who has bought a few wrecked ones and done em up
then sold em for a tastey profit

so my advice would be to get this on the road as cheaply as possible
then ride it around, but keep an eye on ebay and gradually aquire all the bits u need to bring it back to standard

sobil
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
250 fighter!@!@!@ what a joke.... don't bother dude, you'll end up spending more time+money on it than its worth, put some fairings on it flog it off for a good dollar and buy a fighterable wreck.

250 fighter... lolz who'd do that [8D]

where bouts are ya btw.

zx12argh
06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah but who the fuck would fighter a gs500?

Mate a fighter is what you make of it. Have a crack - Just don't expect to be able to sell the thing ;)

336LJ
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by sobil

250 fighter!@!@!@ what a joke.... don't bother dude, you'll end up spending more time+money on it than its worth, put some fairings on it flog it off for a good dollar and buy a fighterable wreck.

250 fighter... lolz who'd do that [8D]

where bouts are ya btw.

The bike was free, Fairing would cost me over $1200, where as the headlight kit has cost me $80, I need this bike to get to work, and it just so happens the cheapest way would be to style it similar to a street fighter. Once its running, I will be collecting the original parts here and there, return it to original condition and get the bike I really want.
Im not touching anything else but a few bucks here and there tidying it up/making it more comfy to ride wont hurt, I dont plan on doing any mods that cant be undone.

336LJ
09-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Oh, and I was asking if anyone had seen a 250 done cause I cant find a single picture of one, to see what it would look like if I didnt get the proper fairing for it!
Even if I did want to do it up, Its something to start learning on, and I am aware I wouldnt get my money back,
i have been around cars for years and bikes are relatively new to me (the mechanical side anyway) so yeah gotta start somewhere I guess.. I just want it looking half decent and not look like its going to suck the testosterone straight out my nuts whenever I ride it :P

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Yellow-vh/94%20250%20Kawasaki%20Ninja/latest.jpg
heres a pic of it at the moment. the rear seat has been ripped up to make a cowel for it, I probably shouldnt have done that since Im going to have to buy another one :( Im trying to get my head around what hoses n stuff go where. and I can get it running (this time with the real fuel tank and not a taped up pepsi bottle hehe)

It seems as if the original rims were green.. the purple I have nicknamed "rape me grimace purple" cause i hate it

madmaxman1986
10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't know what the deal with the damn purple paint is. last two wrcked bikes i've bought have been a pretty queer shade of purple. I rattle-canned them black so fast...

336LJ
10-04-2007, 01:53 AM
haha yeah hey.. heres a smaller pic of it in better light
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Yellow-vh/94%20250%20Kawasaki%20Ninja/sbits.jpg

this was taken last week

ej03
10-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Who gives a sh-t if its a 250 mate as you said it cost you nothing.
Flat black from a can, front mudie from a wrecker, cut the can down into shortie, check out a pushbike shop for bar end mirrors( ask ozcat) and ebay for cheap indicators. If youve got a bit more money check out austreetfighter all the gear is top.[8D]

336LJ
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by ej03

Who gives a sh-t if its a 250 mate as you said it cost you nothing.
Flat black from a can, front mudie from a wrecker, cut the can down into shortie, check out a pushbike shop for bar end mirrors( ask ozcat) and ebay for cheap indicators. If youve got a bit more money check out austreetfighter all the gear is top.[8D]

yeah f*ck oath lol.
I got those tiny pointy lookin indicators already
the mirrors I got are totally gay (plastic shit lookin ones)
I guess at least for now the black will hide the gayness of the purple.
How much would it be to get the tyres taken off (rubber of the rims that is) so I can paint them properly in the future?
is it worth me just yankin the complete wheel off and take it in, or trailer the whole bike up there and get it all done fast n proper like?

Iceman
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Just remember, when used correctly, Ebay is your friend.

WATEVR
10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
my first road bike was a zx2r c model which on a ride down in tas decided it liked the scenery better and bacame a part of it!!! went alright for a little bike tho, 170km/h tapped out........wo the speed man!!!

336LJ
10-04-2007, 11:46 PM
If anyone has a spare cover for the ignition (had to remove the apparent "tamper proof" screws to start the thing when there was no keys for it.. I really need one ! the wreckers down here reckon they just drill them out and throw them away. I cant remember where I put the damn thing. it looks like a lid of some sort so the missus probably threw it out

336LJ
16-04-2007, 07:38 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Yellow-vh/94%20250%20Kawasaki%20Ninja/madness.jpg

Getting somewhere now.. needs a bit more lining up. and the wiring done,

Yella
17-04-2007, 06:50 PM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1154/image009mb3.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8855/image002tg5.jpg

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/866/image003ew4.jpg

These are the only pic's I can find at the moment of my 'C' model ZXR[8D] .It was stolen last night from the new owners house :(

catchmeifyoucan
17-04-2007, 07:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by WATEVR

my first road bike was a zx2r c model which on a ride down in tas decided it liked the scenery better and bacame a part of it!!! went alright for a little bike tho, 170km/h tapped out........wo the speed man!!!

[:0]

my cbr 250R used to clock 205km/h on a slight hill you might get 210.. not bad for a 250, though it did take about 3 hours to get there...;)

WATEVR
17-04-2007, 10:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by catchmeifyoucan

quote:Originally posted by WATEVR

[:0]

my cbr 250R used to clock 205km/h on a slight hill you might get 210.. not bad for a 250, though it did take about 3 hours to get there...;)

me be about 190cm and on the heavy side of a ton!!![^]

336LJ
19-04-2007, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by yella

These are the only pic's I can find at the moment of my 'C' model ZXR[8D] .It was stolen last night from the new owners house :(

I dont suppose you would have a decent wiring diagram of the 250? and maybe you can help me with what hoses go where? I will try my hardest to make sense of what I know so far.. so if the diagram sucks im sorry hehe... okay..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Yellow-vh/94%20250%20Kawasaki%20Ninja/hoses.jpg

I have tried to label the pics as best I can...
first of all.. I am pretty sure I have the fuel tap vac line sussed out. and I am almost certian the main fuel tap line (the thicker one) goes to "A", in the middle of the carbies since it seems to have some sort of rail going along the front of the carbs,
I just have to find the right hose for it

Does "B" go to "C".? the outlets are different sizes but in the manual it says it goes to the air box.
and where do the lines for "D", and "E" go? I have NO idea.. if anyone can make sense of these I would be very thankful.

ej03
19-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Where in bris r u ?

336LJ
20-04-2007, 10:13 AM
bout an hour and a half south of bris actually.

Yella
20-04-2007, 08:08 PM
looking at the pic's cant really tell what goes where.
I have uploaded the ZXR250 PDF to a file hosting site
Download-Link:ZXR250 Manual.zip
http://4filehosting.com/file/9229/ZXR250-Manual-zip.html

Hopfully thats helps
:D

Yella
20-04-2007, 08:13 PM
let us know if it works if not I can burn a copy and post it to you

Yella
20-04-2007, 08:36 PM
speaking of manuals
http://www.tanga-moteurs.ro/service/
there are a heap here aswell

336LJ
21-04-2007, 09:45 AM
awesome thanks, ill try download them later on. i removed the pic of the wiring im pretty sure i got it sussed out nmow. picked up a front mud guard from the wreckers.. 100 BUCKS!! felt like bit of a reaming but its in good condition and its the last thing I needed to buy (other than bits of hose n oils etc).. might see if it goes today :)

336LJ
22-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Okay. I got the thing started but for some reason it wont idle without the choke being on.
and as soon as you touch the throttle it dies in the ass... I have let it warm up and it has only been able to rev up to about 8000rpm for a split second then it just bogs down.. its giving me the shits as you can imagine.. when we got it started last time it blew a bit of smoke then it went away and it ran fine.
now it seemed it was blowing a shit load of smoke.. (at the moment it isnt as bad) and yeah... just cant get the peice of shit to idle.. I pulled the fuel tap apart thinking it was "the gaskets" that were leaking. but since its only got that little cloth diaphram in there i just put it all back together, tightened it up and it stopped the leaks (should have done that first hehe)..
anyone got a clue what this is. to me it seems like its flooding but maybe its got something to do with vacume ???

336LJ
22-04-2007, 02:02 PM
this is probably not going to help but I uploaded a video so you get an idea.. this is the first time it has just stopped while the choke has been on.. I didnt touch anything !

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Yellow-vh/VIDS/?action=view&current=MOV05407.flv

Yella
22-04-2007, 03:57 PM
pull the carbs strip and clean . Mine did the same when I got first got it going. once they were cleaned adjusted and put back ran sweet as

336LJ
22-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Just cleaned em out , and when I actually CHECKED the vac lines, not just by looking at them, one of them was actually not sitting on properly!!! it ran awesome once that was done. now I just have to adjust the idle a bit and I am guessing it needs a tune, it seems really doughy compared to any other bike I have ridden, VERY un responsive down low.

Slain
22-04-2007, 06:28 PM
they generally are until bout 9 grand

336LJ
23-04-2007, 01:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Slain

they generally are until bout 9 grand

HAHAHAHAA yep

WATEVR
23-04-2007, 01:48 PM
had similar prob with my zx2r and found the air filter was as dirty as fuck. gave it a wash and bobs your auntie, if its the same prob!!!

336LJ
26-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I am having a very hard time getting the manauls. I cant seem to be able to download them from the links above.. the only reference material I have is the GeneralPDF file I got ages ago,I had the introduction page, with the index, but havnt been able to find the rest of the work shop manual (e.g Fuel system, brakes)

Yella
26-04-2007, 08:19 PM
email me your address and I will post a copy off tomorrow

336LJ
29-04-2007, 10:25 PM
HA COOOL.. i was raking up some crap under the house and half buried in the dirt was the cover for the ignition.. just gotta find some bolts and its all together.. just having problems with the headlights/indicators not working atm..
also, does anyone have a cheap set of bar end mirrors they arent using? I bought some crappy plastic ones that clamp onto the bars, but when i got home to fit them, i found there was no room!!!

336LJ
30-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Hmm.. also.. I couldnt find an air filter for my bike anywhere in moss st on the weekend :(

And... Im thinking of pissing off the original gauges for now. for some reason I think the whole front end looks mong, Id like to tuck the headlights back into the forks a bit more, and hook up one of those cool LCD electronic speedo things. Anyone no any good brands I could try, Ideally id like to be able to have a tacho as well. I will just use the original temp gauge since its nice n small.

zx12argh
30-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Mate talk to Exben - he sells trick digital gauges with everything you need built in. I got mine for under $300 bucks and it works a treat.

Hillsy
30-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Ditto - I got the black pod type Acewell from Ben for my ZX9 and it works (and looks) great.
Which reminds me, I've gotta get some new pics happening

336LJ
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey cheers Yella. I got the cd in the mail today.. I probably should have checked how many pages it was all up.. I went PRINT, ALL.. and now the brand new ink cartridge is empty on the work computer !! hehe. thanks once again mate I have been looking for that manual for months [8D]