PDA

View Full Version : Dyna 2000 CDI Digital Ignition

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Simple question..........Are they any good? Claims of added 9 ponies are made etc etc. Anyone got one, had one or thrown one away coz they're shit? Advice please boys n girls.

Cheers.

hooligan
09-08-2011, 10:50 AM
no idea on extra power, but i had one on my 7/11, which had 87 1100 engine, 38mm carbs and an 1196 kit.
From memory, seemed a bit crisper than the standard cdi, new version has some cool features, engine cutout to wire in a quick shifter, and can advance and retard the ignition, and I think programmable maps, of maybe a choice of pre made ones.
I did have one die on me, vibration made it flick into test mode which made it run on 2 cylinders. It was in intermittent electrical problem, found it by running the bike and shaking stuff to make it fuck up. Couldn't be fixed, no warranty as it was a few years old, so had to replace it.

Great when it worked, but shit when it didn't. This is of course based on a very small sample of 1 customer.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Cheers Chris. So if I mount it on a rubber mat or bushes it should be cool?

hooligan
09-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I think that they are are resin filled, so the vibration shouldn't have been a problem, but it was. Maybe the new design is better than the old one, but any extra protection you can give it would be good.

Redmohawk
09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Only had Dyna base model stuff (pickup switches coils + dyna coils) pickup sometimes shit themselves but seem to work ok most of the time. No idea on the 2000 stuff personally , but have heard good n bad (along same lines as Hooligans issue)

Dynomutt
10-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Dyna2000 are fine generally, they won't give any power increase over stock, however if you have a tuned engine then the spark energy created by the dyna2000 and dyna 2.2ohm grey coils will be fine especially on boosted engines. The new version is programmeble with the curve maker software and leads to connect to the module. They have a choice of several different ignition curves built in, which vary the rpm at which full advance is reached. They also have a retard facility which enables you to retard the ignition timing by 4,8,12,or 16 degrees by grounding the orange wire, particularly useful when running a boosted motor or running a large hit of gas. I've fitted loads of Dyna2000 systems over the years and although there have been one or two failures reported they are generally fine, the newer programmeble units appear to be more reliable. I think that some of the problems come from the tacho feeds which are taken internally from cyls 2&3 it is usually this channel that fails when they do go down. I usually take the tacho feed direct from either one or both of the coils using a Y shaped wire with a diode in each arm connected to the switched neg side of the coils straight to the tacho rather than using the yellow or green wires from the Dyna and have so far not had any fail. I use only Dyna ignitions on the bikes I build for customers, either the Dyna S on older bikes or the Dyna2000 on more modern stuff, I also use the Dyna4000 drag ignition on my Zed, which allows me to retain the stock factory mechanical advancer, and has a built in two step rev limiter, this is fine on older stuff with the mechanical advancer but on stuff like GSXR oilers it is not really siutable for the road as the motor is always at full static advance. The rev limiters on the Dyna2000 are very accurate, and can be set upto 16000rpm. All in all I think the Dyna ignition systems are very good value, it is worth using the matching Dyna coils, Green 3.0 ohm with the Dyna S, in 4 plug heads or brown 1.5 ohm on 8 plug heads,and the grey 2.2ohm coils with the Dyna2000 on 4 plug heads and the brown 1.5ohm with 8 plug, the Dyna4000 must be used with the blue 0.7ohm coils, or the large dual coil.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Wow ! That's the kind of feed back I love on this site. I was looking at putting this on a 96 B12 so your point about it being a bit useless on older GSXR's for road use would presumably carry for the Bandit?

DCRacing
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought they are a good thing, and no problems so far.
I put one on the race bike and got a much better response straight up, better throttle response and starting, but it just highlighted the failures of the carby's i am running. Which i am trying to sort out now......
Then another engine rebuild cause i want more power....... and on and on and on........

Dynomutt
16-08-2011, 03:32 AM
The Dyna2000 system is fine for the oil cooled motors, it is the Dyna4000 which isn't really suitable for the road, as there is no advance internally as it is a race ignition, on the older GS/X and Z/GPZ motors the mechanical advancer can be retained which is why I run one on my Zed.
The Dyna2000 is great on the oil cooled motors, I've fitted loads and will indeed be using one on my oilcooled 750/1000 turbo motor. The Dyna2000 is simple to fit on the oilcooled motors and works well.