PDA

View Full Version : FCR's CR's Flatslides which is the best?

DCRacing
01-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Just doing a bit of idle drooling at some bits i want for the race bikes.
I currently have a set of Mikuni flatslides, 39mm i think.
But looking at the websites they list the FCR Keihins as being the ducks nuts for racing, then in another breath they say the CR Radial slides are the shit.

So with the accumulated knowledge base of ASF i thought someone would give a straight answer. Mikuni Flatslides, Keihin FCR or Keihin CR.
All for a 1100 oil cooled gixxer........which i will ride one day.

Deano
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
My 1100w race bike has 39mm fcr's and they are brilliant. Easy to start sound great ride better than any carb bike I have ever owned

Wouldn't buy anything else

latheboy
01-08-2011, 04:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

Wouldn't buy anything else

Thats a fucking LIE you liar.... I seem to recal you going to TB's on your latest build or were they "given" to you:D

Deano
01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Not sure. Tb's probably went on about the same time as fcr's

Efi is the future but if you want a kick ass carb it is fcr all the way

DCRacing
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
What other carb's have you used?
What are the draw backs of the Mikuni's?
I have to run carby's to compete in the class i want to race in so i guess at some stage i will have both sets setup on the bikes and see what they are like back to back,

Deano
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I did a track day running fcr's in the first couple of sessions then after the needles stuck open and fuel went everywhere I changed to 40mm mukuni's. Didn't notice a great deal of difference but better throttle response and what you do with the throttle is what you get at the wheel

But that sound is worth every penny.

If I had to spend $1000 on fcr's compared to a set of stock mukuni's that I already owned based on performance and not sound I would stick with stock carbs and spend the money on mag wheels or suspension

Dynomutt
03-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Mikuni TMR flatslides are pretty much the best you can get, I prefer them over the FCR as the accelerator pumps are adjustable on the TMR and not on the FCR. Having worked with Mikuni RS, and TM smoothbores and CR and FCR Keihins I reckon the TMR are the best of the bunch. The Yoshimura MJN kit for these carbs makes them second to none when they are correctly set up, even in standard tapered needle format the TMR are very responsive throughout the entire rev range, and when used with velocity stacks give a very healthy power increase.

DCRacing
03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I have the mikuni 38mm rs i think will have to get into the shed........if it is still in the place i left it, it has been too long... :(

Ok so another question........
Who and where do i go to get a set, Mikuni TMR's?
How and where do i get a set of the Yoshimura MJN kits for the carbs?

Large
03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I thought the TMRs were single carbs only?

DCRacing
03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Serco are now the distributors for Yoshimura in Aus.
Mikuni TMR-MJN38.
Just talked to them, they are going to see what they can do for me, they thought i would be looking at approx $3500.

What else am i going to spend the money on.......

Deano
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Didn't they come out on the 750rr?

Dynomutt
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
The TMR were fitted on one of the GSXR750RR oil cooled. The MJN kit uses a parralel needle rater than a tapered needle. The MJN needle is hollow and has several small jet holes drilled into the rear of it, the needle seals in the emulsion tube and fuel flows up the inside of the needle and sprays out of the jet holes, giving full height atomisation of the fuel across the whole height of the venturi, but more importantly when dipping the throttle into a corner and getting back on the power with a tapered needle the vacuum increases as the throttle is closed and fuel bleeds up the side of the tapered needle, leading to a momentary rich condition when applying the power again, with the MJN kit this doesn't happen, and thr rich stumble that often occurs when getting back on the power is not there. Fueling is much more precise, as fuel will only flow through the jet holes which are exposed.
I have a set of TMR35 on my 650 Kawsaki, the MJN kit is rather expensive to convert mine, it is cheaper to buy the TMR with the MJN already fitted, they are easily identified by the red carb top and the darker finish of the carb bodies.