PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch VTR 1000F damaged after stolen

Peterg
29-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi gang need to replace ignition switch on VTR1000F after wires were cut and lock damaged in an attempt to steal the bike.Luckily they couldn't push it far and left it by side of road.
My questions to the forum is;
1. can I replace the
Ignition switch myself and patch up the wiring or does it need to be done by a dealership due to the computerized electronic ignition system
2. I note the ignition switch has snap off bolt system to attach to headstock, do I just drill them out or is there a special method that must be used to remove switch.
I have ordered the new switch along with new snap off bolts.
Cheers
Grubby

Large
29-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi and welcome Peter.

1 Where did they cut the wires? was it between the switch and the plug- if so just replace switch, plug it in and you should be gtg.

2 The bolts need to be drilled, preferrably with a centre drill so it doesnt jump around everywhere.

3 Duck over to the "Welcome to The Madness" section and do a proper intro. People like that stuff around here.

Shadowzone
29-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I second what the big man said.

Oh and pics or it didn't happen. We all love a good happy snap or 10. You'll need to put them up via photobucket or the like and past the [img ] tags into the thread.

Peterg
30-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info gents appreciate you advice, they have cut the wires immediately below the switch so I should be OK. As for the photos I will work out how to do it and put them up along with photos of my other wheels in the garage
Cheers
Peterg