PDA

View Full Version : zx9 electrical issues??

Benz
25-07-2011, 06:03 PM
The zx9 tracky has developed an electrical? problem. It runs fine for about three laps, then stutters, and dies. I thought it was a vapourlock initially, but undoing the fuel tank cap, and venting the tank did not fix it. I managed to do two sessions, with a breakdown of some sort,in each,where it stuttered and died, and then restarted five minutes later,and ran fine. Third sesh the bike fired up with a backfire, but seemed to run well enough. The session ended with the bike being trailered off the track....embarrassing:(
The ecu/igniter? is making rather loud clicking noises, in time with the motor, and I'm wondering if anyone else with the same bike can hear these clicks, especially with the seat removed. To me it sounds like there could be a spark arcing inside everytime it fires a plug, which would [to me anyway] suggest a bad connection, or failing component in the black box right under the seat.
The battery is well charged, and the plugs, carbs, and air and oil filters have all been attended to in the last 2 months. The bike did a trackday after this work, and was all good then.
It presently will turn over, but wont start.
Any suggestions?

BANDITROD
25-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I have never heard that noise come from the zx9 that I had and I was only playing with it on the weekend aswell sounds like it might be a good spot to start mate

pav69
25-07-2011, 06:28 PM
i have zxr750 and the little black box is quiet as no clicking noise

Benz
25-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Beauty...
That's first on the list then.

Benz
29-07-2011, 04:14 PM
It turned out to be a series of fuckups...
Fuel filter was a bit blocked, fixed...fuel pump had been hard wired, [without the relay], and the wires were too long, and as a consequence there was voltage drop, slowing the pump to a gradual stop. Replaced that rubbish with a relay and fused supply from the battery [relay switched with the old pump active], and the pump is powering again, and the bike starts first push of the button.
The bike is a few pounds lighter after removing the redundant wiring from the loom too!
I'll be .001% faster now...
The crazy clicking noise continues, but it's coming from the headlight relay, so...seeing I dont't need that..who cares!! In any case I think it is getting backfed from the alternator, so if it finally gets to me, I'll just snip the yellow wire, and it will stop.
Fixed

BANDITROD
29-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Cool good to know you got it sorted mate